Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #5,686 of 12,974
you may not be defending it but you are its most enthusiastic champion from what i've seen here. there's really no need for an empyrean appreciation thread. :wink:
Well, I do like my chosen gear. Don't we all?

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5,687 of 12,974
Don't know how to delete post :darthsmile:
You can not delete a post. However, you can edit it, remove the part you do not want to keep. You also can not empty it completely. Leave al least a dot "." or the text "deleted".

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #5,688 of 12,974
Remember my first post about the Topaz and I said it seemed to pair wonderfully with the empyrean because of the supposedly clean and airy high. But "might or might not have recessed mids". In that same post I was trying to be critical of the Topaz as well. I don't really understand its purpose. It's trying to be portable but its not small and it requires a connected source. My other critical complaint of the Topaz is that both the amp and the DAC part of it has to be used together. Empyrean is so incredibly easy to drive any decent DAP can make an easy portable setup if portable is in your future. There are a tons of incredible DAP in the $500-$1k.

I slightly hinted at the Euforia amp in that previous post too. For Amp people really praise the Euforia and Empyrean combo. When Empyrean was still being tuned by Meze, I heard that was the amp Meze paired it with.
If money permits then definitely look into the Cayin HA-300 amp. It is pricey but it is a world-class amp and you probably would never want to upgrade ever again.

One other thing, Empyrean is famous for being one of the very few headphone (if not the only headphone) that sound completely coherent even if you crank up the volume. I don't know if this is related to your veiled case but you know how when you listen to a bassy song, you turn up the volume for even more bass? Not cause the bass was lacking but because the bass was plenty and it sounds good and you just want more n more. That might be the case with the Empyrean. It sounds so good from top to bottom you just want more n more. Maybe?

My ultimate suggestion. Keep listening to the Empyrean + Topaz. Research up these amps if you like. They might break in they might not. Who knows, they might break in and click for you. Good luck and enjoy.

I'm considering moving to a DAP. I could get a Sony WMZ1 used for bit more than what I paid for the Topaz, but I'm wondering how the sound signature would compare with the Empyrean between the Topaz & the WMZ1.

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #5,689 of 12,974
I'm considering moving to a DAP. I could get a Sony WMZ1 used for bit more than what I paid for the Topaz, but I'm wondering how the sound signature would compare with the Empyrean between the Topaz & the WMZ1.

I dont think a dap will drive the empyrean as well as it should be driven. I cant use my dap with it. You might have to use a portable headphone amp with more power like the PHA series.

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #5,691 of 12,974
Remember my first post about the Topaz and I said it seemed to pair wonderfully with the empyrean because of the supposedly clean and airy high. But "might or might not have recessed mids". In that same post I was trying to be critical of the Topaz as well. I don't really understand its purpose. It's trying to be portable but its not small and it requires a connected source. My other critical complaint of the Topaz is that both the amp and the DAC part of it has to be used together. Empyrean is so incredibly easy to drive any decent DAP can make an easy portable setup if portable is in your future. There are a tons of incredible DAP in the $500-$1k.

I slightly hinted at the Euforia amp in that previous post too. For Amp people really praise the Euforia and Empyrean combo. When Empyrean was still being tuned by Meze, I heard that was the amp Meze paired it with.
If money permits then definitely look into the Cayin HA-300 amp. It is pricey but it is a world-class amp and you probably would never want to upgrade ever again.

One other thing, Empyrean is famous for being one of the very few headphone (if not the only headphone) that sound completely coherent even if you crank up the volume. I don't know if this is related to your veiled case but you know how when you listen to a bassy song, you turn up the volume for even more bass? Not cause the bass was lacking but because the bass was plenty and it sounds good and you just want more n more. That might be the case with the Empyrean. It sounds so good from top to bottom you just want more n more. Maybe?

My ultimate suggestion. Keep listening to the Empyrean + Topaz. Research up these amps if you like. They might break in they might not. Who knows, they might break in and click for you. Good luck and enjoy.
Unfortunately the Euforia & the HA-300 are above my price point.

Wondering if something like the Gungir+Mjolnir2 would be a big improvement over the WA11 Topaz?

I'd be giving up the portability but hopefully gain some great sound?

I just find the Topaz to make on many songs the Empyrean flat, and I just feel that they are capable of being very dynamic.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #5,692 of 12,974

Wondering if something like the Gungir+Mjolnir2 would be a big improvement over the WA11 Topaz?

I just find the Topaz to make on many songs the Empyrean flat, and I just feel that they are capable of being very dynamic.
Snipe a used Euforia perhaps? Or sweet talk your way into a nice discount. If you aren't too crazy about the sound quality of your portable setup, I highly recommend the $40 Carbo Tenore made in Japan. Amazingly comfortable, doesn't fall out at all. I jogged with it every day when I had it and it always stayed in. There's a slight sweetness to its sound that is a joy to listen to. And its sound quality is top-notch. It's actually quite a gem among people who know about it. You will find lots of people that say "the cable seems weak". Yea the cable is very light and thin. But you won't find many that say the cable gave out. My pair died after 6 months but for me thats an incredibly long time. I have a history of killing earphones. I am very active and a lot of times I get my earphone yanked through anything n everything. I still have my dead carbo tenore in my room. Loved it to death. I can't get myself to buy another pair of earphone without the detachable wire though. I kill the cables too fast.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #5,693 of 12,974
I dont think a dap will drive the empyrean as well as it should be driven. I cant use my dap with it. You might have to use a portable headphone amp with more power like the PHA series.
Probably too early to agree DAPs are insufficient. Given the choice between portable and desktop, desktop all day. Sometimes it takes a $30 earphone to really appreciate a $3,000 headphone tho.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #5,694 of 12,974

A proper desktop setup always sounds better than a similarly priced portable setup to my experience. You have to pay extra for portability.

Ditch portability and go for sound quality with a desktop setup.
Looking at the amps you mentioned it seems to me that you are after something in the $2000 price range.
I would recommend a Chord Qutest with a clean amp like the GSX Mini.
If you can stretch further, go for the TT2 as a combo and forget about DAC/amp upgrades for the next few years...
Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #5,695 of 12,974
Probably too early to agree DAPs are insufficient. Given the choice between portable and desktop, desktop all day. Sometimes it takes a $30 earphone to really appreciate a $3,000 headphone tho.

You might be right, the WM1Z is a powerful dap but, I know that battery driven devices cant give the same power as ac powered, dedicated amps.

Power is almost always important for Planars... they work without it but it aint the same sound....

Little micro daps like the one I have, forget it.

The PHA-3 can power the Empy well at the 3 o’clock position, balanced. But it lasts like 3 hours like that

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #5,696 of 12,974
A proper desktop setup always sounds better than a similarly priced portable setup to my experience. You have to pay extra for portability.

Ditch portability and go for sound quality with a desktop setup.
Looking at the amps you mentioned it seems to me that you are after something in the $2000 price range.
I would recommend a Chord Qutest with a clean amp like the GSX Mini.
If you can stretch further, go for the TT2 as a combo and forget about DAC/amp upgrades for the next few years...
Just my thoughts. YMMV.

On a cool night, a couple of days ago, I wanted to be closer to my pellet stove but still listen to the Empy's. I hadn't used my Oppo HA2-SE, alone, for some time and gave it a try. It was pleasant and it sounded very nice for a portable amp.

Last night I went back to my main system, Quest DAC + GS-X mini, and was reminded how good this pairing is and how so-so using the HA2-SE was the night before.

There are a lot of folks here that give @betula a hard time when he talks about what a better amp and DAC ($$$) can do paired with the Empys, but I tend to agree with him.

Sure, you can use lots of amps, DAC's and DAP's even Android or iPhones with the Empy, and they still sound good ,but not to their full potential.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #5,697 of 12,974
On a cool night, a couple of days ago, I wanted to be closer to my pellet stove but still listen to the Empy's. I hadn't used my Oppo HA2-SE, alone, for some time and gave it a try. It was pleasant and it sounded very nice for a portable amp.

Last night I went back to my main system, Quest DAC + GS-X mini, and was reminded how good this pairing is and how so-so using the HA2-SE was the night before.

There are a lot of folks here that give @betula a hard time when he talks about what a better amp and DAC ($$$) can do paired with the Empys, but I tend to agree with him.

Sure, you can use lots of amps, DAC's and DAP's even Android or iPhones with the Epmy ,and they still sound good ,but not to their full potential.
My portable preference actually was Mojo closely followed by iFi iDSD Black Label and then the HA2-SE as a more digital sounding third.
Even a basic desktop setup between $500-1000 quite easily beats all of them...
And then the next step is a $2K desktop setup and then a $4K one and then pretty much up to the sky...
There is always better. The main thing is that we enjoy the most we can in line with our budget.
I never really understood folks collecting 10-20 mid-fi headphones instead of going for a truly high-end one though.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #5,698 of 12,974

Sure, you can use lots of amps, DAC's and DAP's even Android or iPhones with the Empy, and they still sound good ,but not to their full potential.
I don't remember anyone giving him a hard time for the first 250 pages that I've read in this thread but if he says the Empy deserves the best gears possible, he has my vote. Just because it is easy to drive doesn't mean it should be driven lightly.

The Empyrean allows a few people to dump all their savings into the headphone then drive it with a cigarette lighter until funds are ready for better amps.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #5,699 of 12,974
My portable preference actually was Mojo closely followed by iFi iDSD Black Label and then the HA2-SE as a more digital sounding third.
Even a basic desktop setup between $500-1000 quite easily beats all of them...
And then the next step is a $2K desktop setup and then a $4K one and then pretty much up to the sky...
There is always better. The main thing is that we enjoy the most we can in line with our budget.
I never really understood folks collecting 10-20 mid-fi headphones instead of going for a truly high-end one though.
I agree with you but there are people who likes to listen to the sound of gears instead of listening to music. That's a different kind of fun There's no right or wrong with this. Some mid-fi headphone can really sing, HD650 yea? If I had a bigger budget I would get a world class amp, the HA-300. Then collect a few nice mid-fi headphones n have fun with them knowing they are driven to their full potential. I would be equally happy with just the Empyrean + Ha-300.

Dec 19, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #5,700 of 12,974
I don't remember anyone giving him a hard time for the first 250 pages that I've read in this thread but if he says the Empy deserves the best gears possible, he has my vote. Just because it is easy to drive doesn't mean it should be driven lightly.

The Empyrean allows a few people to dump all their savings into the headphone then drive it with a cigarette lighter until funds are ready for better amps.
Not the first 250 pages but the last 250 pages.

The Empys are easy to drive but with better gear they truly become world-class TOTL headphones shedding the initial skin of warmth and veil.

I agree with you but there are people who likes to listen to the sound of gears instead of listening to music. That's a different kind of fun There's no right or wrong with this. Some mid-fi headphone can really sing, HD650 yea? If I had a bigger budget I would get a world class amp, the HA-300. Then collect a few nice mid-fi headphones n have fun with them knowing they are driven to their full potential. I would be equally happy with just the Empyrean + Ha-300.
Sure, I understand that. There is no judgement here. But is it really more fun to drive a Focus RS, a BMW M3 and an Audi RS6 versus driving one Lamborghini Aventador? I guess different strokes for different folks...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back