Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #5,161 of 12,974
These are my condensed thoughts on the 12 core Master silver cable from Lavricables after two weeks of testing versus the stock cable.
I am usually very careful with cable upgrades, but the difference here is undeniable. The stock cable sounds more 'simple', more boring, less full, less filled up and less natural.
The silver cable sounds more natural, more balanced, more filled up and fuller.
The silver cable is also much lighter.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #5,164 of 12,974
I have the Norne S-3 and it has 11 cores per wire or (44 cores total) for the 4 wire version. That why I asked about the 12 cores of your Lavricable.

Just curious about core totals.............

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #5,169 of 12,974
Sorry, betula. I was trying to make a joke. Have you seen "This is Spinal Tap"?

There is a great line where he talks about his amplifier: "It goes to 11! "
I see. I couldn't remember, but after looking up 'Spinal Tap' now I know I have seen it before and I got what you meant. :)

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #5,171 of 12,974
I ordered the Skruag(not on the website yet) from Norne Audio which is silver and copper mix. When I a/b zmf silver vs black dragon(copper) I found I like the all copper. My brain told me there was more bass on the copper. I'm hoping the Norne cable will tell my brain there is bass and micro detail.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #5,172 of 12,974
@racebit really knows how to care for his quiver of headphones! :thinking:

I have a feeling your local carpenter may be building some more of those stands.

Initially I planned to build three. I may build a third one later. After all I have 7 headphones total.
If people are interested I can post a diagram with the dimensions I used, and a few other details.
It took considerable measurements and averaging of my different headphones dimensions to come with these dimensions matching them all.
But people may want to fine tune for their own headphones, and preferences.
For example the Clear would be best with a larger 140mm (rather than 110mm) diameter pipe, but it would not work as well with the others. I considered building one with 140mm, but I thought wasn't worth to buy a 1m pipe just for one stand when I still had 110mm pipe left.
And people may prefer a 125mm tube to make HPs more snug and better protected against dust, at a cost of a small permanent pressure on the earpads.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #5,173 of 12,974
Cables do make a difference. But its generally a small difference. All tweaks over time tend to add up in a system tho. My rule of thumb is not to go over about 10 percent of the components cost when upgrading cabling. And there are a lot of claims in cabling marketing which are open for debate. Such things as Directionality, Metal Type, Long Grain Crystal size, Cast Process, Geometry, Weld Type, Di-electric qualities, whether your di-electric needs a charge running through it (ie, DBS).... so yeah. I get it. On the other hand my system sounds amazing and I have never wanted to return an upgraded cable yet, soo.....

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #5,175 of 12,974
i sell mine if someone in interested. can't keep them, too expensive...
May I ask you to elaborate how did you come to this conclusion?

I suppose you new how much it costs when you bought it. Was it not too expensive already at that time? If not, has something changed? If yes, why buy? I normally do not buy something what i know is too expensive (hm. really? :thinking::thinking::thinking:). It really becomes expensive when you have to sell it, because the difference is away, and you have nothing, but maybe the experience for it. Or is there something here what is not normal? I would like to understand how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back