Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 22, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #3,811 of 12,974
I took my Emps on a tour to all the local stores and tried a bunch of gear, the McIntosh 150 stood out in a big way to me. Now everything I have at home seems lacking, I guess I am more concerned that McIntosh is not the Bose of the high-end world. Or can I get something that smokes it for the same or less cash.

What do you have at home and what else have you heard that this MA150 smokes? That would give you a point of reference to see how high you need to go?

May 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #3,812 of 12,974
I took my Emps on a tour to all the local stores and tried a bunch of gear, the McIntosh 150 stood out in a big way to me. Now everything I have at home seems lacking, I guess I am more concerned that McIntosh is not the Bose of the high-end world. Or can I get something that smokes it for the same or less cash.
Mcintosh is no Bose, that's certain.

May 22, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #3,814 of 12,974
What do you have at home and what else have you heard that this MA150 smokes? That would give you a point of reference to see how high you need to go?

I had the Cord Hugo but it had a flakey Jack so I returned it. So what I have left at home is the Pro-Ject S2 box I got as a temp till I find something. The Woo Fireflies with the upgraded tubes which I hated till I got a silver USB cable now they are decent.

Other things I tried where Moon 230h, Marantz amp dac, a Pass amp but I do not remember the model, there where three DAC they feed through the Pass but nothing over the 2k mark.

As you can see my exposure to real high-end stuff has been limited. The McIntosh was also the only one I heard with CDs everything else was streaming so I am not sure if that made the difference.

May 22, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #3,815 of 12,974
I recommend the GSX mini for the Meze. Quite a good synergy between the two products. I hope the Mini will start to ship soon. Such a versatile amp.

May 23, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3,816 of 12,974
Finally got mine in yesterday. Very noticeable differences from my Focal Clear which I love. Super light, extremely well built and incredibly well packaged. Both the leather and alcantara pads are extremely supple and soft. Still testing them out so no immediate thoughts yet.

Wlrux1.jpg

WlrfFZ.jpg

May 23, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #3,817 of 12,974
Finally got mine in yesterday. Very noticeable differences from my Focal Clear which I love. Super light, extremely well built and incredibly well packaged. Both the leather and alcantara pads are extremely supple and soft. Still testing them out so no immediate thoughts yet.

Wlrux1.jpg

WlrfFZ.jpg
Ya let them burn in for a while before you compare them.

May 23, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,818 of 12,974
Perhaps a silly question but what color are the stock Empyrean............green, gunmetal, black? I've looked up google images and found what look to be various colors and grill color combos. I'm sure they sound great, ship with several (?) cables and pads and have a snappy 'Zero Halliburton' like metal case............but what the heck color are these puppies?

May 23, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #3,819 of 12,974
Perhaps a silly question but what color are the stock Empyrean............green, gunmetal, black? I've looked up google images and found what look to be various colors and grill color combos. I'm sure they sound great, ship with several (?) cables and pads and have a snappy 'Zero Halliburton' like metal case............but what the heck color are these puppies?
The pictures @freesole posted above show the color of my Empy. Looks pretty accurate on my monitor.

May 23, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #3,820 of 12,974
The pictures @freesole posted above show the color of my Empy. Looks pretty accurate on my monitor.
Mine is same as well got it in Feb after Canjam NY. It seems this is the only color you will get if you buy now.

May 23, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #3,822 of 12,974

A customer of mine actually brought this to my attention as he was a bit confused. I checked in with the team at Meze and they confirmed that the "Empyrean is and has been available only in one color, which we name coded Gun Metal, the dark grey that you know. The anodization process combined with CNC milling makes it a quite special and complex color, so depending on the angle you look at it and on the light, one may identify different shades in it."

FWIW, I don't see any green tint when I look at my pair.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
May 23, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #3,823 of 12,974
I have been following your posts, LCmusicLover on the E2, LP and now Empyrean forums!
I have the E2's and will receive a LP tomorrow but am still intrigued by the Empy. I have also preordered the GS-X mini that Dan at Mr. Speakers found to pair nicely with the E2 at the audio show in Munich.
@purk was also taken by the GS-X mini paired with the Empyrean so it sounds like this amp may work well with the E2 or Empy!

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #3,824 of 12,974
A customer of mine actually brought this to my attention as he was a bit confused. I checked in with the team at Meze and they confirmed that the "Empyrean is and has been available only in one color, which we name coded Gun Metal, the dark grey that you know. The anodization process combined with CNC milling makes it a quite special and complex color, so depending on the angle you look at it and on the light, one may identify different shades in it."

FWIW, I don't see any green tint when I look at my pair.
Liked the word "Complex Color":L3000:

May 24, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #3,825 of 12,974
Well, I just completed my review of these very impressive headphones. It is now in for final editing and scheduling for publication. They also certainly passed the "put your money where your mouth is" test as I bought the review pair as I couldn't bare to send them back. These are seriously good flagship headphones...congratulations Meze!

They were great out of my Hugo2, and stepped it up when I moved up to my Chord DAVE and a tad more when I added the Benchmark HPA4 into the mix. So the drivers are able to scale quite well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back