Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #3,136 of 12,974
Exactly, I'm not trying to take anything away from the Dave, I just think that combo didn't do it to my ears. And I'm a previous owner of the Mojo.
When i heard Dave i think it sounded amazingly detailed, natural and transparent with Utopia, but amp in it lacked solidity, punch, weight like good tube amps have or good ss amps have. I can see how headphone like empyrean can lack its character with it.

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,137 of 12,974
Maybe the word I was looking for was "sharp". Slightly sharper - The precision of the E2 makes the overall sound less smooth than the Empyrean.

I also have the LP paired with my Empyrean. What do you think are the main advantages of the BHA-1 over it? Thanks in advance.

E2 does not sound harsh by any mean. Its upper mids and treble never sound sibilant. But its midrange sounds more 'lively.' I can see that you might want to make it less lively depending on your mood.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #3,138 of 12,974
E2 does not sound harsh by any mean. Its upper mids and treble never sound sibilant. But its midrange sounds more 'lively.' I can see that you might want to make it less lively depending on your mood.

By itself the E2 does not sound at all sharp. But when listened to right after the Empyrean, it sounds sharper, edgier, less smooth to my ears. Not to the point where it is sibilant but just enough to notice the immediate difference coming from the Empy. I did the comparison with the Wywires platinum cable on the E2 and played both out of the Liquid Platinum.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #3,139 of 12,974
By itself the E2 does not sound at all sharp. But when listened to right after the Empyrean, it sounds sharper, edgier, less smooth to my ears. Not to the point where it is sibilant but just enough to notice the immediate difference coming from the Empy. I did the comparison with the Wywires platinum cable on the E2 and played both out of the Liquid Platinum.
May I ask which tubes you were using in LP? To my ears, E2 changed with tube swaps.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,141 of 12,974
Mar 20, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #3,142 of 12,974

I mean the Ether 2 has smoother transition from mids to treble. The Empyrean doesn't. The Empyrean rises quickly from 2k to 4k, and I think that is why @Hifiearspeakers thought the Empyrean was harsh. But I agree with him in that that harshness highly depends on individual factors like ear canal... Some people are more sensitive to that than others.

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #3,143 of 12,974
I mean the Ether 2 has smoother transition from mids to treble. The Empyrean doesn't. The Empyrean rises quickly from 2k to 4k, and I think that is why @Hifiearspeakers thought the Empyrean was harsh. But I agree with him in that that harshness highly depends on individual factors like ear canal... Some people are more sensitive to that than others.

Did you like the Empyrean? I mean well enough that you could own it?

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #3,144 of 12,974
Apparently I do :L3000:

Honestly I wouldn’t have said that based on my impressions of the LP ==> Empy chain.

I find myself more and more aware of how the upstream chain affects the sound of my cans.

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #3,145 of 12,974

I compared them hard but it was only for about 40 mins, so my experience with them is still limited.
I can see why people love the Empy. It is a very good headphone. But I bought a HEKse recently. Also, I need to run my rigs with a limited budget (I need pay 20% family taxes for my audio purchases lol). So I think 3k can be better spent elsewhere at least in my case.

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #3,146 of 12,974
I compared them hard but it was only for about 40 mins, so my experience with them is still limited.
I can see why people love the Empy. It is a very good headphone. But I bought a HEKse recently. Also, I need to run my rigs with a limited budget (I need pay 20% family taxes for my audio purchases lol). So I think 3k can be better spent elsewhere at least in my case.

Gotcha.

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #3,147 of 12,974
Does anyone have a suggestion for a travel case that will fit the Empyrean? I am looking for something that will fit in a largish backpack. The stock case as nice and sturdy as it is, is a bit too big and I don't want to damage it as it looks like it would scratch fairly easily.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #3,148 of 12,974
Does anyone have a suggestion for a travel case that will fit the Empyrean? I am looking for something that will fit in a largish backpack. The stock case as nice and sturdy as it is, is a bit too big and I don't want to damage it as it looks like it would scratch fairly easily.

A case I originally purchased for my HD820 works well for the Empyrean's - here it is on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DN8PRO-XL-Audeze-Sennheiser-headphones-GRIP-TECH/dp/B07DBBRPLM/

I would just note you will need to remove the cable (which you should do anyway) for a proper fit.

813D6trHeHL._SL1500_.jpg

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #3,149 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back