Meze EMPYREAN II
Jan 14, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #377 of 611
Listening to Adele Easy on Me, each end note was quite peaky and harsh (not pleasant) which seems to align with what others have said e.g. @bunnygal23 below. I went back home and listened to my Clear and this was absent.
That track is on my test track playlist as well. It's definitely mastered a bit hot, esp at the beginning. I specifically jump to 0:35 -1.00. I just tried it on my Elites and my HD600 (streaming on Quoboz) and while I can hear all the hard S's, its not nearly enough to make me wince or reach for the volume. It just makes me think "oh wow this could be super harsh on some gear"

I do listen at a relatively low volume and have a warmer leaning chain so that could be a big factor. Definitely recommend it as a test track for anyone looking to test vocals. Ears are weird, and it's super clear we all have different treble sensitivities.

Another comment compared them to the HD800s and now that I think about it, I can see the similarities. You do get more decent bass on the Empy 2 tho imo.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #378 of 611
Ah gotcha, then for that I'd look for something super comfy and musical. If you can find them used, the OG Empy and the ZMF atrium would be what I would go for.
I just pulled the trigger on the OG Empy's. I would love to get the Atrium's at some point so will save up in the meanwhile! Thank you for your recommendations!

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #379 of 611
I just pulled the trigger on the OG Empy's. I would love to get the Atrium's at some point so will save up in the meanwhile! Thank you for your recommendations!
Definitely head over to the Empy 1 thread to chat with owners on the different pads you can use with them. All the ovoid Mezes have one of the best pads switching systems so its pretty easy to pad roll. The OG Empys have a unique sound that you either absolutely love or are ambivalent to, hopefully you enjoy them.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #380 of 611
Definitely head over to the Empy 1 thread to chat with owners on the different pads you can use with them. All the ovoid Mezes have one of the best pads switching systems so its pretty easy to pad roll. The OG Empys have a unique sound that you either absolutely love or are ambivalent to, hopefully you enjoy them.
I just compared the OG Empyreans again with the stock leather pads and the angled alcantara pads. I would strongly recommend Empy OG owners to get the AA pads, if they haven't already. They clean up the bass bloat and thereby make them more resolving. On the other hand you lose some bass impact and the associated warmth. But it is super easy to change back and forth, depending on the music genre and the mood of the moment. With these pads you basically have two different headphones to choose from at any time.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #383 of 611
My Emmy 2s are arriving tomorrow!! Pretty excited to join the club.

Any consensus on how much time for them to burn in??
Mine arrived wednesday, they did sound horrible the first 10 minutes but they just came out of a -2 degrees delivery van.. haha
After they warmed up, they sounded great and have sounded the same since

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #384 of 611
Mine arrived wednesday, they did sound horrible the first 10 minutes but they just came out of a -2 degrees delivery van.. haha
I really wonder how Rockna Wavelight + T+A HA200 sound with the Empii. And how that compares to the WL + GS-X Mini.

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #385 of 611
I really wonder how Rockna Wavelight + T+A HA200 sound with the Empii. And how that compares to the WL + GS-X Mini.
With the GS-X Mini the Empy II gets a very comfortable sound, a warmer sound you can listen to 8 hours straight. The GS-X Mini has a warm, non fatiguing and less spacious sound.

With the T+A HA200 the Empy II gets a more linear sound than I expected, but still very enjoyable without any DSP active on the T+A HA200. Also quite more spacious than on the GS-X Mini.
With my Diana TC headphone on the T+A HA200, it requires a +4 bass boost with it's built in DSP. Without it, it sounds too linear and unnatural. The Empy II still works without any DSP active for me, but I still like the bass boost myself. The biggest win with the T+A HA200 is definitely it's way to present the space in sound.

WaveLight settings are Hybrid volume with Linear filter.

Important edit: I currently only have the Empy's Angled earpads, the duo earpads had a defect. Meze shipped replacements same day though (excellent support), but they are stuck in a DHL depot because of the snow delays here. The duo earpads are supposed to be warmer sounding, so im eager to hear them!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #386 of 611
Good to know! I'll make sure to warm them up first, whenever they get here. They've been stuck in Richmond VA for the last 2 days with no estimated delivery date. Original delivery set for yesterday. arrrgh!!!

:triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #388 of 611
One thing I noticed, using the Angled Alacantara pads take out the "bass" and "immersive" sounds that makes Empy2 the Empy 2. I understand why reviewers like DMS showed disapproval of the use of Angled Alcantara pads. It kind of brings the "grips with sadness" feeling, but I guess if people want to take a peek into "real sound" that is not as immersive nor musical, those pads might work. Duo pads win most of the times.

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #389 of 611
Owner of HD800S, LCD-GX, HE1000V2, Arya Organic. Need to get this of my chest.

Got the Empy II just before Christmas. It is everything positive I heard about it in YT reviews and read on websites. Compared to the headphones of the 1.5K class you recognize definitely that the Empy II is in the 3K class. There are songs which suddenly sound so much better!

EXCEPT.

Rock music, Hip Hop, Funk, House is unenergetic and unfun with it. It does not sound exactly bad. But in those genres the Arya Organic is wiping the floor with it. Yes, the Empy II shows you every instrument in perfect spacing. It is technically superior. But who cares if everything is being presented boring like on a surgical platter. Hell, it sounds like every rock band is playing in front of you in a classical spanish guitar stance.

So if you are the kind of audiophile who wants to listen to the likes of Diana Krall all day long, the Empy II can be your one an only endgame. Pop and Electronic is very, very fine, too.

To everybody else who likes to rock out once in a while: The Empy II is not the "end to it all for everything" as some reviewers might try to make you think, you will need something else along.

EDIT: Added some genres and the improvement part.

I just got my Diana MR 2 days ago and now the dealer told me he has one Empy 2 in stock for a pretty sizeable discount. Tempting but I mostly listen to hip hop and house/EDM so your review is holding me back lol

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #390 of 611
I just got my Diana MR 2 days ago and now the dealer told me he has one Empy 2 in stock for a pretty sizeable discount. Tempting but I mostly listen to hip hop and house/EDM so your review is holding me back lol
I don’t tend to agree with this reviewer. A lot of my higher end headphones are too detailed to enjoy hip hop with. The Empy II has a place in my collection because it lets lesser recordings come to life a bit. That said I wish it did have slightly more bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back