Meze EMPYREAN II
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #406 of 606
That, my friend, makes me want to try the Susvara haha. Have you ever tried the Elites? How would you say those compare to the Susvara in terms of clinical, detailed sound?
I used to own the Elite and now own the Susvara. By memory, the Susvara is technically maybe 10–15 % better, especially in the mids and the treble, but the Elite might have a little bit bigger soundstage and is more forgiving to lesser recordings, although sometimes I found the upper treble peak on the Elite fatiguing. I'd say the Elite was technically pretty much on par with the Arya Stealth which I also owned at that time. The Elite does have more bass quantity than the Susvara but the resolution is better on the Susvara. The punch of the Susvara also matches that of the Elite's but only if the Susvara is properly driven. The Elite is way easier to drive so you get better bass with them even on some entry level/portable gear.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #407 of 606
That, my friend, makes me want to try the Susvara haha. Have you ever tried the Elites? How would you say those compare to the Susvara in terms of clinical, detailed sound?
I've not tried the Elites. The Empy 2 is my very first Meze headphones. I'm extremely impressed! There could be more Meze in my future.

Be careful what you wish for! The Susvara will lead down a rabbit hole. Since getting them, I've upgraded my complete desktop system and awaiting a further upgrade with the Headamp CFA3 is released.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #408 of 606
I've not tried the Elites. The Empy 2 is my very first Meze headphones. I'm extremely impressed! There could be more Meze in my future.

Be careful what you wish for! The Susvara will lead down a rabbit hole. Since getting them, I've upgraded my complete desktop system and awaiting a further upgrade with the Headamp CFA3 is released.

The bolded statement could not be more true! haha

I started with a Burson Conductor 3XR with the Susvara, then went to the Ferrum Erco, then to the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos, then changed the Erco for the Wandla, and now added a WA23, and am waiting for the Zahl HM1. All because of the Susvara. Dang it…

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #409 of 606
On Headfonia's 2024 poll almost every second voter thinks the Empy II is the best headphone of the year. Regardless of how you look at a poll like this, it is an achievement. Well done, Meze!

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #410 of 606
On Headfonia's 2024 poll almost every second voter thinks the Empy II is the best headphone of the year. Regardless of how you look at a poll like this, it is an achievement. Well done, Meze!
I can't think of any headphone more deserving of that title

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #412 of 606
I released a video comparing the Empyrean II to the Elite. Both are great but quite different in their delivery. It's a long video but I have chapters if you only care about a certain portion. Feedback is always welcome.

I wanted to add a quick note for those that prefer not to watch the video (totally fine!)...

Looks are subjective but I find them to be great looking headphones. It stands out as a premium product both in looks and feel, but it's not so over the top that it's distasteful.

Saying the comfort is class leading would be an understatement. The new pads are amazing and with the acceptable 440g (ish) weight, I can wear them for a long period. One of the best planar headphones for comfort, period.

Sound Quality - A big departure from the older Empyrean and Elite. They are all good in their own way, and a lot of the new sound comes from the new pads. These pads on the Elite boost the upper midrange/treble as well. It's a great sound profile though, working well with many different genres. Vocals and guitars are more forward in the mix than prior Meze flagships. The delivery is well centered when it wants to be, while having a great depth of bass. The Elite is thicker and darker sounding, but handles subtle details slightly better when it comes with width and speed. I liked the Empyrean II more for genres like EDM/hip hop, or more laid back tracks that aren't too bright or busy. The Elite worked a little better for busy rock and metal, thanks to the recessed 3-4k region making it sound more tame.

Both have great bass extension but don't quite punch as hard as a dynamic if you are looking for a hard kick/dynamics. These aren't bad, but it's not necessarily their strength. Hope that helps!

PS: I measured all 4 pad options on both the Elite and Empyrean II so I can see how it impacts the sound. This was on a Gras KB006x pinna clone, with an IEC711 coupler clone. Scroll to the bottom of the page to expand the options, then use the + symbol to add other pad measurements if you want to compare. https://gadgetrytech.squig.link/hea..._Elite_(Hybrid_Pad),Meze_Empyrean_2_(Duo_Pad)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #413 of 606
I released a video comparing the Empyrean II to the Elite. Both are great but quite different in their delivery. It's a long video but I have chapters if you only care about a certain portion. Feedback is always welcome.

Great video! The only thing I wish you would have spent some more time on was how the pads change the sound of both headphones. For example, I really prefer the new Angled Alcantara pads on my Elite over the Hybrids because they lower the mid bass and overall allow the headphones to present music with a lot more clarity.

I’d also really like to know how the new Duo pads that come stock on the Empy II sound on the Elite. Did you happen to try out that combination?

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #414 of 606
Great video! The only thing I wish you would have spent some more time on was how the pads change the sound of both headphones. For example, I really prefer the new Angled Alcantara pads on my Elite over the Hybrids because they lower the mid bass and overall allow the headphones to present music with a lot more clarity.

I’d also really like to know how the new Duo pads that come stock on the Empy II sound on the Elite. Did you happen to try out that combination?
So I actually filmed a follow up video to this where I mention the change (still need to edit), but the new Duo pads are amazing and do make a big difference with vocals. Check out the objective change...

https://gadgetrytech.squig.link/hea...Elite_(Hybrid_Pad),Meze_Elite_(Emp_2_Duo_Pad)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #415 of 606
So I actually filmed a follow up video to this where I mention the change (still need to edit), but the new Duo pads are amazing and do make a big difference with vocals. Check out the objective change...

https://gadgetrytech.squig.link/hea...e_(Leather_Pad),Meze_Elite_(Emp_2_Hybrid_Pad)
Thanks for that! On your graphs, when you say "Leather Pad" do you mean the stock Elite "Hybrid Pad"? I know the stock hybrid pads on the Empy II are called "Duo Pads" by Meze to differentiate them from the "Hybrid Pads" that came with the Elite.

Not to create more work for you, but could you possibly add graphs for the "Angled Alcantara" pads on the Elite and Empy II? I prefer the Angled Alcantaras on my Elites, so it would be helpful to see the graph of those vs the "Hybrid Pads" and new "Duo Pads".

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #416 of 606
Not to create more work for you, but could you possibly add graphs for the "Angled Alcantara" pads on the Elite and Empy II? I prefer the Angled Alcantaras on my Elites, so it would be helpful to see the graph of those vs the "Hybrid Pads" and new "Duo Pads".
Angled Alcantara pads elevate the Elite's performance for many owners.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #417 of 606
Thanks for that! On your graphs, when you say "Leather Pad" do you mean the stock Elite "Hybrid Pad"? I know the stock hybrid pads on the Empy II are called "Duo Pads" by Meze to differentiate them from the "Hybrid Pads" that came with the Elite.

Apologies for the confusion. I updated the Squiglink website to include the correct pad names.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #420 of 606
I've noticed that the headband makes my scalp itch something fierce. I've never had that with my HFM phones. The band on the Empy 2 is solid whereas the HFM have a bunch of holes in it. Anyone else notice this? Is it my hair just being weird???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back