MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #5,221 of 5,675
I prefer a warmer, thick, slam, and authoritative sound - with weight to it. I listen to mostly metal - such as Tool, August Burns Red, Rivers of Nihil.
Hmm so depending on your budget I would also suggest Ferrum. If you hold fire for a few weeks I'll be testing Wandla vs Holo May.

Or if you have a higher budget then a 2A3 DNA amp or Cayin HA300MK2 or another 300B option from Woo or Feliks ... but that's a lot higher budget including tubes.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #5,222 of 5,675
I tried them at the Meze booth, I actually didn’t like them. They were too less detailed vs the Elites for me.
Oh yes in that case the Elite are definitely the better choice. They can certainly rock too but as you say they don't have the detail.

I love them both tbh.

You definitely need a warmer amp then as you say. I can recommend the Feliks Euforia AE.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #5,223 of 5,675
Hmm so depending on your budget I would also suggest Ferrum. If you hold fire for a few weeks I'll be testing Wandla vs Holo May.

Or if you have a higher budget then a 2A3 DNA amp or Cayin HA300MK2 or another 300B option from Woo or Feliks ... but that's a lot higher budget including tubes.
Thank you, I’ll look into those. My budget would be something around the TT2 price range. I absolutely love Chord, so the TT2 is high on my list, but I’m open to other suggestions for amps if I keep the Qutest and go the tubes route.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #5,225 of 5,675
Thank you, I’ll look into those. My budget would be something around the TT2 price range. I absolutely love Chord, so the TT2 is high on my list, but I’m open to other suggestions for amps if I keep the Qutest and go the tubes route.
If you heard TT2 and you love it then buy it. It will be a great combo to start with and in the future you can add a tube amp.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #5,227 of 5,675
New Elite owner here! They have replaced my LCD-2s and I am loving them so far. I did notice they took some substantial time to break in, to me they sounded right after about 200 hours. I also initially ordered them with the Copper Upgrade cable, but decided to get their Silver cable instead and I much prefer it (copper is for sale - PM if interested). I still felt like the Elites had a faint hint of veil on the copper vs silver. The silver cable sounds much more accurate and revealing to me - without being harsh.

Im currently using a Chord Qutest into a SimAudio Moon 230HAD AMP and while it sounds amazing, Im debating getting the TT2 next. I demo'd the Elites on a TT2 at CanJam - which is what made me decide to get them. I have heard however that Elites do better on tubes - so that makes me wonder. Keep the Qutest and get a Tube amp or just be happy with the TT2. In theory, I could add a tube amp to the TT2 later on, but that is a much bigger investment. I listen to mostly fast paced Metal music, so I do value speed and hard hitting authority.
I used to love the TT2, but it has turned out I am more of an R2R/tube guy. The middle Chord DAC is nicely detailed, coherent and refined, but more of a neutral/reference (polite) tuning. For the same money I could name several DAC and amp combinations which I enjoy more. The TT2 alone to me can feel a bit thin, a bit light, especially in the lower frequencies. It is a great piece of engineering though.
The Elite is fantastic with TC tube amps too, but that is a whole other story. :)

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #5,228 of 5,675
I used to love the TT2, but it has turned out I am more of an R2R/tube guy. The middle Chord DAC is nicely detailed, coherent and refined, but more of a neutral/reference (polite) tuning. For the same money I could name several DAC and amp combinations which I enjoy more. The TT2 alone to me can feel a bit thin, a bit light, especially in the lower frequencies. It is a great piece of engineering though.
The Elite is fantastic with TC tube amps too, but that is a whole other story. :)
Makes sense, it’s hard finding the right combo, but it sounds like you prefer a similar sound to me. If I were to keep the Qutest, what amps would you recommend that costs no more than a TT2 price range.

I’d also be curious for your suggestions for your favorite DAC/AMP pairings.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #5,229 of 5,675
I agree. We definitely have the same preferences and that is exactly how I find Chord.

That being said, we all hear differently and if you know you like something in audio, you should buy it. Maybe in a few months you'll realise you actually don't like it that much anymore 😂 and move on, but at least you've been there and progressed : )

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #5,230 of 5,675
Thanks, I’ll look into that one. It’s around the right price range for what I was thinking.
I had Euforia AE for a while w/Elite, can attest it is a very fine combination. I think it has been phased out in favor of EVO which is very similar, and even a bit less costly.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #5,231 of 5,675
Makes sense, it’s hard finding the right combo, but it sounds like you prefer a similar sound to me. If I were to keep the Qutest, what amps would you recommend that costs no more than a TT2 price range.

I’d also be curious for your suggestions for your favorite DAC/AMP pairings.
GSX-Mini or Bryston BHA1 were great with the Elite from the amps I owned: tight control and great bass impact. But there are several great amps out there, depending on budget. Holo Bliss for example. When it comes to tubes I really like Cayin, but you will have to be willing to embrace the tube rolling aspect of our hobby. :) I am sure, you will receive many more suggestions, but ultimately your ears are your ears. Experimenting is inevitable. :)

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #5,232 of 5,675
GSX-Mini or Bryston BHA1 were great with the Elite from the amps I owned: tight control and great bass impact. But there are several great amps out there, depending on budget. Holo Bliss for example. When it comes to tubes I really like Cayin, but you will have to be willing to embrace the tube rolling aspect of our hobby. :) I am sure, you will receive many more suggestions, but ultimately your ears are your ears. Experimenting is inevitable. :)
The Holo Bliss was on my radar for a while, but its just too massive for my set up and the fact that it gets hot is quite concerning to me- my listening room can sometimes be 80 degrees F in the summer on occasion.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #5,233 of 5,675
Don’t overlook the Mjolnir 3 to use with the Elite. It’s a great match and is my favorite amp I’ve used with the Elite so far. I use a Yggy A2, but I’m sure it could pair well with many different DACs.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #5,234 of 5,675
Seems strange that the Elite prices have not been adjusted down with the release of the Empyrean 2, considering that they both use the same MZ3SE drivers. Aside from tuning there is very little differentiation now. Is there maybe an Elite 2 about to be released with completely new drivers?

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #5,235 of 5,675
Seems strange that the Elite prices have not been adjusted down with the release of the Empyrean 2, considering that they both use the same MZ3SE drivers. Aside from tuning there is very little differentiation now. Is there maybe an Elite 2 about to be released with completely new drivers?
Its pretty clear they are different drivers(MZ3 vs MZ3se.) Slightly different impedance and sensitivities, different frequency limits on both ends. If I had to guess it would be that we will see an ELITE 2 someday, maybe a year or two?

MEZE ELITE
  • Diaphragm Type: RinaroParus®[MZ3SE]
  • Frequency response: 3 - 112,000 Hz
  • Impedance: 32 Ω
  • Nominal SPL: 101 dB (1mW/1kHz)
MEZE EMPYREAN 2
TypeRinaro Isoplanar® [MZ3]
Active Area4650 mm2
Weight0.16 g
Acoustic Mass10.7 kg/m4
Lower Frequency Limit8 Hz
Upper Frequency Limit110,000 Hz