MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jul 17, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #4,966 of 5,614
Let's say I want the closest perfect desktop experience with my Elites outside, I mean great bass slam, body and so on, do you think adding a portable amp to a dap is necessary?
I read Andy's observation in which he claims that it's unlikely to have the maximum Elite performance with a dap. Unfortunately, my exclusive use of the Elite is on the go.
What do you say? Any real portable amps and/ or daps recommendations?

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #4,967 of 5,614
Quite a few impressions have been posted since February as can be seen in https://www.head-fi.org/search/13688487/?page=3&q=angled&t=post&c[thread]=959445&o=date. Ichos made a detailed review in https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-audio-angled-alcantara-pads.26404/.

If you can read frequency response graphs, Post #4,604 sums up the objective tonal differences pretty well, particularly less of an upper bass and lower midrange hump which I'd say enhances clarity, a greater sub-bass roll-off that some might regard as "tight" or "fast", and a bit more ear gain and treble which might contribute to the subjective sense of its being more "revealing". Some report improved soundstaging and imaging, which I personally don't hear. I would agree that the angled Alcantara pads do sound more "open" and clear from a tonal standpoint, though brighter, though I personally would rather achieve such with fine-tuned EQing of the hybrid pads which don't sacrifice the sub-bass and the distortion performance thereof. If your ears touch the gratings of the hybrid pads, then the angled Alcantara pads may help for comfort, though as seen in the measurements in Post #4,612, you could achieve similar spaciousness or clarity with the stock Alcantara pads without too much change in tonality, mind those measurements should be enough for you to EQ the stock Alcantara pads to sound similar to the angled Alcantara pads.

I in Post #4,774 developed a PEQ (parametric EQ) based on the measurements in Post #4,604 to allow for simulation of the angled Alcantara pads' tonality while listening through one's hybrid pads. It isn't exact and may vary with different pairs of ears, but I'd say it does a decent job of simulating a more abrupt and volume-matched change of pads. Likewise, EQ here probably wouldn't be able to match the phase responses, whether such matters, though I didn't find much difference in the sharpness of transients between the pads.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. You saved me some money. It basically sounds like it kills what makes the headphone sound so good.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #4,968 of 5,614
Let's say I want the closest perfect desktop experience with my Elites outside, I mean great bass slam, body and so on, do you think adding a portable amp to a dap is necessary?
I read Andy's observation in which he claims that it's unlikely to have the maximum Elite performance with a dap. Unfortunately, my exclusive use of the Elite is on the go.
What do you say? Any real portable amps and/ or daps recommendations?

My DAP experience is limited, however, I did have an iBasso DX320 MAX that I used to use with the Elites and it sounded very good.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,969 of 5,614
I haven't heard it myself but from all I've read with DX320 Max amping won't be a bottleneck for standard Planars in contrast to the usual DAPs without needing external amping.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #4,970 of 5,614
Hello folks. I posted this question on the Utopia threads as well. I have the Utopia 2022, but I am interested in adding a different headphone that is a bit more relaxed, but still offers very high refinement. Maybe something that's more forgiving when it comes to less than perfect recordings (the Utopia is like a magnifying glass - it's amazing when it's very good. Less so when recordings are not). Life is more than one flavor. So I am wondering if any of you who enjoy your Elites, also own a Utopia and appreciate having both in your stable. And if so, why. Thanks in advance!

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #4,971 of 5,614
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 09.40.29.png

You guys have been such an important part of our journey so far!
We deeply appreciate this community and its support, so now it’s only natural to give back.

To make your “Meze Audio” experience completely unforgettable, we're now offering a PREMIUM CABLE GIFT with every Empyrean and Elite purchase!
Braided by hand by our team in Romania, our copper and silver-plated premium cables are specifically designed to bring out the finest qualities of your Elite or Empyrean and deliver a full-bodied, musical experience.

· SILVER-PLATED cables combine the best of two different worlds – the conductive properties of silver with copper’s high durability. This cable offers more depth, improved separation and enhanced details.
· COPPER cables are very flexible and highly resistant to damage. It makes the bass tighter, enhances imaging and separation and makes the vocals stand out.

Pair your favourite headphone with one of the 10 cable variations available (balanced 2.5 mm, 3.5 mm, balanced 4.4 mm, 6.3 mm and balanced XLR), and save up to $499!

Find more details here.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jul 18, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #4,972 of 5,614
@HeadAmpTeam offers the Elite with upgrade cable AND an extra pair of pads.
For everyone looking at a new Elite this is a solid deal

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,975 of 5,614
If anyone wants to sell their angled Alcantara pads, I'd be interested.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #4,977 of 5,614
Hello folks. I posted this question on the Utopia threads as well. I have the Utopia 2022, but I am interested in adding a different headphone that is a bit more relaxed, but still offers very high refinement. Maybe something that's more forgiving when it comes to less than perfect recordings (the Utopia is like a magnifying glass - it's amazing when it's very good. Less so when recordings are not). Life is more than one flavor. So I am wondering if any of you who enjoy your Elites, also own a Utopia and appreciate having both in your stable. And if so, why. Thanks in advance!

There is "limitation" on how a flagship headphone could have forgiving character. Utopia 2022 and Elite are among my top picks for less than perfect type of recording, but still, they are more revealing than typical low/mid fi headphones. In your case, avoid Hifiman and DCA (and Abyss Diana TC too).

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #4,978 of 5,614
Jul 18, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,979 of 5,614
There is "limitation" on how a flagship headphone could have forgiving character. Utopia 2022 and Elite are among my top picks for less than perfect type of recording, but still, they are more revealing than typical low/mid fi headphones. In your case, avoid Hifiman and DCA (and Abyss Diana TC too).
@TheMiddleSky Thanks for this. I'm actually glad to hear that. It seems that you appreciate them both. How is the Elite compared with the Utopia '22's? How would you describe the unique sound of the Elites in comparison to the '22's?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #4,980 of 5,614
As you can see from my signature these are my two higher tier HP's, and yes they complement one another beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back