MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Mar 21, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #4,396 of 5,614
It is entirely possible, I can see why.

I hope to hear both headphones with the new pads one day. I can see why the new pads 'help' the Empyrean to a greater extent.

The thinner diaphragm in the Elite though contributes to quicker transients, more details, more space, better separation/imaging. Elite's tuning is better balanced overall, while still retains that addictive Meze tonality.
Exactly, in all the mentioned attributes the Elite will be superior, regardless of Pads.

However tuning wise both are super flexible with different pads nowadays.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #4,398 of 5,614
It's so realistic that I got listening fatigue after latest 30 minutes.
Am not into classical music though

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,399 of 5,614
It has a smoother uper mids and treble compared to the stock Alcantara pads.
The only way to get fatigued is if you are very sensitive to the 1-2k region and then again the difference is subtle.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #4,400 of 5,614
Are the new pads being shipped with new Elites? Or only bought separately?

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #4,401 of 5,614
They are shipped with new Elites IF it's new stock at the dealer.
Best to ask them for a couple of months until old stock has sold off

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #4,402 of 5,614
It was already covered a couple of times, but the old Alcantara pads are discontinued. All newly made Empyrean and Elite will have the new, angled Alcantara pads as one of the stock pad options. It will take some time though for all the vendors to sell out the stock with og Alcantara pads.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #4,403 of 5,614
Oh yes, I do remember reading that. I've slept a few too many times since then I guess.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,404 of 5,614
It has a smoother uper mids and treble compared to the stock Alcantara pads.
The only way to get fatigued is if you are very sensitive to the 1-2k region and then again the difference is subtle.
Might be, I don't find the difference subtle but can realize it blind after 30 mins.
There is an impression of enhanced detail and also more accurate and coherent frequency response and more subbass than with the Hybrids to my ears.
Regarding Timbre I prefer the hybrids.
The only headphone I know which can combine both detail and timbre is Susvara.
Still I am enjoying Elite with Hybrids more

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #4,405 of 5,614
Meze.JPGThe pad on the top is the new angled pad. It's a bit wider inside and as thick as the old alcantara pad on its thicker side (regarding depth). You won´t have any problems that your ears could touch the inside of the pads. The angled pads don´t have the midbass hiss that the other pads have. They have a detailed, linear, warm sounding bass which goes deeper than with the other pads. Just perfect for me, as with the treble which got more airy than with the other pads. Because of the bass being more linear everything sounds cleaner (maybe even as a result of reduced reflections).
Thank you for that feedback, I might have to pull the trigger on these!

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #4,407 of 5,614
Might be, I don't find the difference subtle but can realize it blind after 30 mins.
There is an impression of enhanced detail and also more accurate and coherent frequency response and more subbass than with the Hybrids to my ears.
Strangely I think that the hybrids have a touch more sub-bass and generally more energy trapped and bouncing into them.
Anyway, it's good that we have options and this is why different pads exist!

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,408 of 5,614
I’ve been trying the new angled pads with the Elite, out of a Chord DAVE, with mixed impressions. The soundstage is set slightly further back, there’s a bit more detail and probably a more even frequency response, but everything seems a little grey. With the hybrid pads colours are more vibrant, double bass deeper and better defined, and piano has more sparkle - there’s a touch more bite and involvement in the sound. It’s a tuning I favour, but of course such matters largely boil down to taste.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #4,409 of 5,614

Stronger Subbass than Hybrid Pads and fast listening fatigue?
Might it be possible that you listen at louder volume with the angled pads?

The thicker side of the angled pads are the backside and the smaller side shows to the direction of the face, right?
That is correct

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #4,410 of 5,614
Strangely I think that the hybrids have a touch more sub-bass and generally more energy trapped and bouncing into them.
Anyway, it's good that we have options and this is why different pads exist!
I think Elite has a Midbass increase (whereas for example Solitaire P which I also own has a subbass increase) with hybrid Pads.
To my ears the new angled pads cause a more even frequency curve where nothing stands out so much, besides upper mids or something causing my fatigue - and @ThanatosVI I am not changing the volume pots after changing Pads so that's not a reason here. Due to the more even frequency curve I suppose that subbass is perceived slightly stronger due to the tamed mid bass.
BTW I have at least another friend who came to the same conclusion.
For the very reasons of enhanced technicalities I can imagine that the pads are a much better match for the Empys - actually I recognize a kind of hype of Elite owners in my local country community who urgently want to test the pads with Empys though they own or have owned Elite

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back