MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Mar 12, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #4,216 of 5,675
Have been wondering about the positive effect of a tube amp with the new pads as with my current setup (Ferrum Oor and Holo Spring 3 KTE) the new pads are as you describe them but getting tiring for me.
At that moment I was reminded of a listening session with friends 3 weeks ago using Focal Utopia 2022.
Too dry and tiring with my Ferrum- Holo combo but suddenly smoother and more musical while keeping the Utopia attributes on some Feliks Euforia AE (paired with a Matrix ESS DAC/Streamer)
Utopia isn’t a planar though
The tube amp gives you a smoother, rounder, fuller-bodied sound with all the detail you want.
It will lack a bit in speed, but in my opinion I think that for the Elite a tube is the right match.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #4,217 of 5,675
The tube amp gives you a smoother, rounder, fuller-bodied sound with all the detail you want.
It will lack a bit in speed, but in my opinion I think that for the Elite a tube is the right match.
Which tube amp are you using with Elite?

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #4,218 of 5,675
I search in classified for Saul and r2r but nothing came up. Can you a bit more specific how to search? Thanks.
He's referring to my DAC's.

Click my name, then "Classified listings"

I love the sound of R2R DAC's! If I didn't run out of room, I'd keep them all, but alas, with upgraditis cokes the need for room....

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #4,220 of 5,675
He's referring to my DAC's.

Click my name, then "Classified listings"

I love the sound of R2R DAC's! If I didn't run out of room, I'd keep them all, but alas, with upgraditis cokes the need for room....
Got you. Thanks I’ll have a look.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4,221 of 5,675
Got you. Thanks I’ll have a look.
I recently used the Woo Audio WA6-Se which wirked very vell! I'm selling it, if you are interested.

As a balanced amp, I would have a look at the new violectric v222. I have the v202 and I like it very much wirh my Elite.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #4,222 of 5,675
Haven’t heard anything fancier, but the Quicksilver matches up really well with my Elite.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #4,223 of 5,675
I'm using an Auris HA2-SF tube amp.
In my opinion you shouldn't spend much for the Elite, a Cayin HA-3A will do as well, or the latest Felics Euforia Evo or an amp in the same price range.
Thx for your suggestions.
Well the question is if there is an improvement vs my yet very good sounding solid state R2R combo.
I mean the old pads are kind of making a less reference and less detailed but also more fun and less tiring signature with my current setup.
Not sure if the change in hardware will lead to the same result at higher costs for me - surely an A-B listening is needed and not a blind buy.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #4,224 of 5,675
I recently used the Woo Audio WA6-Se which wirked very vell! I'm selling it, if you are interested.

As a balanced amp, I would have a look at the new violectric v222. I have the v202 and I like it very much wirh my Elite.
I’ll keep it in mind thanks.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #4,225 of 5,675
Thx for your suggestions.
Well the question is if there is an improvement vs my yet very good sounding solid state R2R combo.
I mean the old pads are kind of making a less reference and less detailed but also more fun and less tiring signature with my current setup.
Not sure if the change in hardware will lead to the same result at higher costs for me - surely an A-B listening is needed and not a blind buy.
I use a Pontus II r2r DAC. The synergy between Elite, tube amp and DAC is truly remarkable.

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #4,227 of 5,675
Have been wondering about the positive effect of a tube amp with the new pads as with my current setup (Ferrum Oor and Holo Spring 3 KTE) the new pads are as you describe them but getting tiring for me.
At that moment I was reminded of a listening session with friends 3 weeks ago using Focal Utopia 2022.
Too dry and tiring with my Ferrum- Holo combo but suddenly smoother and more musical while keeping the Utopia attributes on some Feliks Euforia AE (paired with a Matrix ESS DAC/Streamer)
Utopia isn’t a planar though

I surprised that you think Utopia sounds dry via Ferrum + Holo. I never heard your Holo, but in general for me Ferrum + Utopia 2022 is far from dry (even with SMSL DAC), and Utopia 2022 itself is quite forgiving when compared to other TOTL.

Being OTL it's fully understandable that Feliks deliver extra sweetness tone to Utopia.

I’ve been strongly advised for the Ferrum combo for the Elite. Any experience on this thread?

As SS amp, hard for anything to surpass Ferrum synergy with Elite, perhaps Zahl, but quite more expensive and waiting list is almost a year I guess.

If you want to go tube route, for almost similar price to Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, i recommend Cayin HA-6A. It's not a dark, intimate, and mellow syrupy tube amp though, prepare for something a bit at neutral side, good dynamic, and wide soundstage.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #4,228 of 5,675
For people who own Atriums and Elites, did you get the Elites after Atrium and do you still have a reason to listen to the Atriums for certain genres of music or Elites is just step above them in every way?

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #4,229 of 5,675
I surprised that you think Utopia sounds dry via Ferrum + Holo. I never heard your Holo, but in general for me Ferrum + Utopia 2022 is far from dry (even with SMSL DAC), and Utopia 2022 itself is quite forgiving when compared to other TOTL.

Being OTL it's fully understandable that Feliks deliver extra sweetness tone to Utopia.

As SS amp, hard for anything to surpass Ferrum synergy with Elite, perhaps Zahl, but quite more expensive and waiting list is almost a year I guess.

If you want to go tube route, for almost similar price to Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, i recommend Cayin HA-6A. It's not a dark, intimate, and mellow syrupy tube amp though, prepare for something a bit at neutral side, good dynamic, and wide soundstage.
I’m happy with the Pass HPA1 but I may need a balanced amp. I am tempted by the Ferrum but wondering if too punchy. Pass is very musical and refined being class A and not aggressive / punchy.

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #4,230 of 5,675
For people who own Atriums and Elites, did you get the Elites after Atrium and do you still have a reason to listen to the Atriums for certain genres of music or Elites is just step above them in every way?
I owned both and sold the Elite -- owned Elite for 2 months and had about a month to compare w/ Atrium.

Honestly, I enjoyed them both equally, and the Elites were the clear comfort winners. But ... I could sell the Elites for $400 - 500 more than the Atrium ... plus I just couldn't resist keeping the Cocobolo Atrium -- love that wood. To my ears and budget, they were too close for it to make sense to keep both.

I got a demo Atrium and really liked it. When the LTD ended up being Cocobolo, I jumped. While waiting for the Atrium to arrive, I ran into a great deal for a used Elite, which I enjoyed for several weeks before the Atrium showed up.

I spent a lot of time comparing, and they were very close tonality-wise. A little more open stage from the Atrium, with slightly better imaging accuracy. Not the Utopia '...that instrument, RIGHT THERE!' level of precision, but a bit more that direction than the Elites. Bass was comparable, with the planar-vs-dynamic character being the biggest difference. Both have lovely mids which present vocals with soooo much emotion -- pretty much a dead heat there. One of my acid tests is Joni MItchell Blue. No hint of sibilance from either set -- lovely renditions of her whole vocal range.

Bottom line, I could have been perfectly happy w/ the Elites, but now I'm perfectly happy with my Atrium. One bonus is that Atrium sound moves more with amp or tube swaps. I picked up a Bottlehead Crack and super-enjoy it with my Atrium (and Auteur). Couldn't have used it with the Elite though due to the impedance mis-match.

(after a long meander) To answer your question, there is music I clearly preferred from Atrium -- pretty much any Loreena McKennitt. The more open headstage really helps her create a wonderfully engaging 3-D musical space. While I'm sure there are genre which would prefer the Elite, for my ears and tastes, it was very close, with just a slight lean towards Atrium.

Of course, the real tl;dr is

what can I say -- I'm a ZMF fanboy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back