MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,416 of 5,614
Otherwise the Dana Nirvana MZ-EL seems to go one (or several) steps further, but the price ... :sweat_smile:

C0F86657-4DFF-4004-8600-C2841B87D54B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #2,417 of 5,614
I’ve been using a Zynsonix Ballista which sounds fine to me for the price. Don’t think I’d recommend it you like a supple, flexible cable though.

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,418 of 5,614
Thank you for the reply.
Initially I thought the Copper grill would not go well with Elite silver armour, but now that I think more about it, I think it will. Probably copper pivots could be a better match for the copper grill, but maybe Elite black pivots woud not be bad. There was an old picture, when Empy was being prototyped, before it actually launched, that had bronze/gold/copper grill with silver armour, but I can't find it now.
BTW, another thing also important to me is the stiffness of the pivots, I would like them stiffer than on my Empy. I read someone talking about the Elite pivots being stiffer than Empy ones, but I am not sure that was just a sample variation, or if it is really a design change from Meze. Can you confirm that from your Elite and Empy?
I have thought of doing that kind of custom work myself, however, cannot get to the grille or rod screws without disassembling the earcup where most of the pricey tech is housed. I vinyl wrap mine quite often, since the chameleon edition has been released I'm going to order that in vinyl and wrap the side clamps to give it that effect.

I would assume that if something were to happen to the actual tech, sending it for repairs won't be cheap, which is what has stopped me from going further to switch out or wrap other parts, like the grille itself. So theoretically you can customize/switch out quite a lot, but not without taking apart the earcup entirely. But it's the only way (that I know of) to truly mod it to your liking.

As for the friction, there are rubber rings on the inside that provide the grip, around 8-10 stacked very close together. Wouldn't actively know of a way to add or thicken them for slightly better grip, or another alternate route altogether. I have also considered hydro dipping some of the parts for more detailed graphics, haven't touched upon that yet, but it's an idea nonetheless. For any of the Meze cans, a T6 Torx screwdriver is used. 🦇

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #2,419 of 5,614
No, I’ve never tried that one. I seen all the positive reviews for the Grand and given the lower price point even with the upgraded connectors etc, I opted to go with that. If I seen. Lazuli pop up second hand then I maybe tempted!
I have the old Lavri Grand (Solid silver core), and i was quite pleased with it for my Z1R. I'm curious, how is the new Litz one? I would expect it to be more flexible, but how is compared to the silver plated upgrade cable? I'm getting an OOR to use with the Elites and i need a balanced cable. Debating whether to get the Grand or a second silver plated Meze cable.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,420 of 5,614
I have the old Lavri Grand (Solid silver core), and i was quite pleased with it for my Z1R. I'm curious, how is the new Litz one? I would expect it to be more flexible, but how is compared to the silver plated upgrade cable? I'm getting an OOR to use with the Elites and i need a balanced cable. Debating whether to get the Grand or a second silver plated Meze cable.
Well, the Meze Silver is the most flexible without doubt but the Litz Grand isn’t that bad at all. It feels lighter, zero microphonics and while it doesn’t coil up as well as the Meze, it’s still very good.

Actually, in some ways it’s easier to manage. I use Velcro loops under my desk to thread my cable through while I work. Keeps the top clear for drawing etc. The Meze used to slide a little too easy through the loops while the Grand doesn’t.

It’s very flexible and goes where I want it to go. Requires no shaping at all and the build quality is top notch. For a cable that looks quite thick it is surprisingly easy to manage (mines 3m long).

The balanced Aeco Rhodium connector is really nice and I’d wager the Furutech mini XLRs are the same as the ones Meze use but they have their own connector cover over the Furutech plug.

If I had the chance to start over, I’d buy it again. I still have the Meze but I haven’t used it since the Grand has burned in!

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #2,421 of 5,614

I already tried this particular pairing as well (Dave/Oor/Hypsos/Elite), can't wait for your impression.

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #2,422 of 5,614
I already tried this particular pairing as well (Dave/Oor/Hypsos/Elite), can't wait for your impression.
I tried it myself recently , and liked it. To be honest, I slightly preferred the tonality of the Burson 3x GT (more neutral), but i found the OOR better technically, even if slightly warm, as well as easier to adjust. the 3X had only 3 listenable volume steps for me. I plan on using Dave as a Pre and the OOR only as a headphone amp. I've also had the Susvara here with the amps and found the Elites at least on par with the Susvara, with much better bass and a better soundstage width. Needless to say they didn't make me want to sell the Elites :p
As easy as the Elites are to drive, and as much as i like direct-Dave, driving them balanced out of the OOR opened up the soundstage considerably in width and depth, improved layering, separation, and the voltage adjustment on the Hypsos made the bass so impactful, that i can't wait to get it back.
FWIW i've tested it out of my Isotek Aquarius conditioner with Crystal Connect micro diamond XLR and power cables. Tried some cheaper cables (QED reference xlr) and... I preferred direct Dave.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #2,424 of 5,614
Jun 27, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,425 of 5,614
If any Elite user out there might be interested, I’m looking to trade my ZMF Epoxy Stabilized Verite Closed. I have a For Sale/For Trade ad listed in the classifieds, but I thought it’d be smart to post in this thread as well.

I’ve never tried a high end planar, and I’ve decided the Meze Elite might be right up my alley. I’m hoping to find that needle-in-a-haystack Elite owner that wants to try a Verite Closed as much as I want to try an Elite. Fingers crossed…

Edit: Well that worked out fast! I’ve got an Elite heading my way tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing these things after reading so many good things about them.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2,426 of 5,614
@Andykong Thanks again for this. Just completed the job the other day with a pair of Furutech Rhodium 4 pin XLR's. Paint colour on the all metal body is very close... if not the same as the 6.35mm Meze jack!

Meze-Cable.jpg
I'm thinking of doing this exact mod, i'm curious, did you feel like you lost any SQ by doing this?

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #2,427 of 5,614
No. Not at all. If there was a difference it was subtle. If anything, when I added the rhodium Furutech plug it may have improved the contrast a little by lifting the highs a touch.

If you’re considering doing it I would recommend making a mark at the point you intend to cut and then 2cm on each side of that mark, mark each wire with a unique identifier whether you use colour or tick lines. Write down each identifier on a piece of paper. This will help identify which wire went where from the 6.35 plug should you want to turn it into an adapter.

After you cut the cable you’ll need to tin the ends of each wire first as it has a coating on it that prevents a good, well, any reading with a multi metre when identifying what wire connects to each connector on the mini XLRs.

Hope this helps should you do it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #2,428 of 5,614
If anyone’s interested and I’m selling my one week old Elite, and at a great price. I love them, and I’ve actually owned them before, but I’m just not feeling the hobby anymore. As the song goes, I lost that loving feeling.

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2,429 of 5,614
If any Elite user out there might be interested, I’m looking to trade my ZMF Epoxy Stabilized Verite Closed. I have a For Sale/For Trade ad listed in the classifieds, but I thought it’d be smart to post in this thread as well.

I’ve never tried a high end planar, and I’ve decided the Meze Elite might be right up my alley. I’m hoping to find that needle-in-a-haystack Elite owner that wants to try a Verite Closed as much as I want to try an Elite. Fingers crossed…

Edit: Well that worked out fast! I’ve got an Elite heading my way tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing these things after reading so many good things about them.
It's really "piece of cake" to sell Epoxy VC I guess. Beautiful and truly hard to get.

Listening right now with Questyle CMA 15, oh boy!
IMG_20220627_222558.jpg

If I can't afford TT2, I will purchase CMA 15 indeed to pair with Elite.

I tried it myself recently , and liked it. To be honest, I slightly preferred the tonality of the Burson 3x GT (more neutral), but i found the OOR better technically, even if slightly warm, as well as easier to adjust. the 3X had only 3 listenable volume steps for me. I plan on using Dave as a Pre and the OOR only as a headphone amp. I've also had the Susvara here with the amps and found the Elites at least on par with the Susvara, with much better bass and a better soundstage width. Needless to say they didn't make me want to sell the Elites :p
As easy as the Elites are to drive, and as much as i like direct-Dave, driving them balanced out of the OOR opened up the soundstage considerably in width and depth, improved layering, separation, and the voltage adjustment on the Hypsos made the bass so impactful, that i can't wait to get it back.
FWIW i've tested it out of my Isotek Aquarius conditioner with Crystal Connect micro diamond XLR and power cables. Tried some cheaper cables (QED reference xlr) and... I preferred direct Dave.

Agree, Ferrum stack is a little more transparent and more detail than Burson. While GT provide more energetic notes and more spacious soundstage. Glad you like them then!

Personally I prefer direct Dave because it amaze me how clean every notes, combine the fluid sensation that may become less when paired with external amp. However, Dave alone is a little too dry for my preference, especially coming from TT2. So i truly understand if you want to infuse more "soul" by paired with Ferrum stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back