Meze Audio 109 Pro
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #3,421 of 3,465
The reviews finally got me curious. They should be arriving today. I'm going to compare them to my HE1000 Stealth tonight. My daily driver progression over the past 15 years has been HD650->Arya V2->HE1000 Stealth, though I still have the 650s. I'm pretty monogamous when it comes to headphones. I'm not expecting the 109 to best the HE1000 in technicalities, but we'll see if the sound signature will win me over.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #3,423 of 3,465
The reviews finally got me curious. They should be arriving today. I'm going to compare them to my HE1000 Stealth tonight. My daily driver progression over the past 15 years has been HD650->Arya V2->HE1000 Stealth, though I still have the 650s. I'm pretty monogamous when it comes to headphones. I'm not expecting the 109 to best the HE1000 in technicalities, but we'll see if the sound signature will win me over.
your journey just like mine. i bet you'll conclude as I did. HeK are amazing.

the 109 Pro does have a similar sound quality about them, HeK just digs a little deeper- and resolves considerably better.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #3,426 of 3,465
That''s what I'm gonna do! :) Thanks for validating.
I did it like that and now my son is using the 109 pros and does the same. Keeps any chance of dust or hair getting in the drivers at a minimum, and also doesnt add any wear to the input plugs nor to the zipper of the case. win/win/win

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #3,427 of 3,465
KUDOS TO MEZE CUSTOMER SERVICE:

I dropped my 109 Pros (on carpet) and the gold mesh popped out.

I wrote to Meze customer support, who couriered a repair kit (a ring of double sided adhesive). Five days from start to solution :)

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #3,428 of 3,465
I am excited to hear your thoughts.
But i don't velueve they will outpeform the he1000 but maybe close to it?
Well, I've done about 3 hours of listening. The 109 is very nice. Some don't like the treble, but it has a soft and pleasant quality. It's not piercing like some Beyerdynamics. I think this could easily be my daily for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, I am comparing them to the HE1000 Stealth.

I would say the HEK does everything a little better, though it's closer than I thought it would be. There's just a bit more refinement and detail all around on the HEK. Some details are more in the background on the 109, while the HEK brings everything to you and separates everything nicely. Bass is more textured and present on the HEK as well. EQ on the 109 helps a bit, but still doesn't match the HEK.

As far as comfort, the 109 feels nice, but the cups clamp slightly lower than I want them to and puts slight pressure under my jaw, though I could probably still wear them for quite a while. I had the same complaint with the HD800s. The HEK pads don't feel as nice, but I think I could wear them for longer without discomfort.

This was the first Meze I've had the chance to listen to, and I'm glad I did. As good as it is, I think planars have spoiled me.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #3,429 of 3,465
Well, I've done about 3 hours of listening. The 109 is very nice. Some don't like the treble, but it has a soft and pleasant quality. It's not piercing like some Beyerdynamics. I think this could easily be my daily for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, I am comparing them to the HE1000 Stealth.

I would say the HEK does everything a little better, though it's closer than I thought it would be. There's just a bit more refinement and detail all around on the HEK. Some details are more in the background on the 109, while the HEK brings everything to you and separates everything nicely. Bass is more textured and present on the HEK as well. EQ on the 109 helps a bit, but still doesn't match the HEK.

As far as comfort, the 109 feels nice, but the cups clamp slightly lower than I want them to and puts slight pressure under my jaw, though I could probably still wear them for quite a while. I had the same complaint with the HD800s. The HEK pads don't feel as nice, but I think I could wear them for longer without discomfort.

This was the first Meze I've had the chance to listen to, and I'm glad I did. As good as it is, I think planars have spoiled me.
This is how I feel as well. The 109 does have a similar sound and for the money is fantastic, but the HeK is a step up- as it should be.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #3,432 of 3,465
It's definitely expensive. I've used Cardas cables with other headphones and mostly enjoyed significant sound quality improvements but not always. Would love to hear from anyone on this or other recommended cables. I'm a fan of wavetheory reviews and he definitely gave the stock cable a big thumbs down.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #3,433 of 3,465
It's definitely expensive. I've used Cardas cables with other headphones and mostly enjoyed significant sound quality improvements but not always. Would love to hear from anyone on this or other recommended cables. I'm a fan of wavetheory reviews and he definitely gave the stock cable a big thumbs down.
I have used Meze 4.4mm cables and have enjoyed them. Both copper, and silver plated. Good quality and value for money.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #3,435 of 3,465

Users who are viewing this thread

Back