Meze Audio 109 Pro
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,206 of 3,452
Same experience here. Not only, with headphones cables, but all cables and everything responsible for carrying any form of signal. Starting with controlling vibrations of electric path. Because at the end, what you hear is electricity. Simple as that. Better material, bigger gauge, better geometric designs, better isolation are all important aspects for better conductivity and ultimately, sound.

I have the Meze Premium PCUHD silver-plated at the moment and the stock cable is absolutely no match. Much more clarity, details, space, separation and sheer resolution wilth the upgrade. But of course, the fact that I am now using the balanced output of my Fiio M11 Plus has an important impact also.

As far as material goes, I think the 109 will be more suited with copper cable because of their dynamic and sometimes borderline aggressive nature with some high energy music.

I found the silver-plated cable too energetic for the 109 in the +/- first 50 hours. Now reaching the 100 hours mark, I found the sound more balanced. But I still recommend copper.

I just order a Norne Drausk V2 18 AWG OCC copper. I will be able to compare it to the MEZE PCUHD silver-plated. I will maybe keep both if they are complimentary and can suited different listening mood.

I think you can’t go wrong with the MEZE Premium cables.
Do you replace the internal wires of a headphone? "Because at the end, what you hear is electricity. Simple as that."

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,207 of 3,452
Thanks man, I appreciate your common sense, we needs it some times!

But here's how I am thinking: I have already experienced how a better cable can make the sound better with some, if not all, of my IEMs and with my other headphone (KLH). So, since there is a 30 day return policy from Meze, I believe I could give the Meze cable a try. I wish there was a dealer in my area where I could just test it or better borrow a demo cable for a few days. But since there isn't, I might give it a try. :)
I don't think you need to spend that much on some copper cables. I have the Apos balanced cables that came with my Apos 109 Pro bundle and a balanced Periapt cable that I was using for my HE4XX. Both are copper, but I did find the Apos cable actually tamed the treble ever so slightly to notice, and the Periapt kept the highs the same energy that the stock cable had. I'm not sure why, but that's what I heard.

I think the Apos cable retails at under $100.

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #2,208 of 3,452
Do you replace the internal wires of a headphone? "Because at the end, what you hear is electricity. Simple as that."
No not me but some skilled DIY could try with good results I have no doubt. It’s certainly common for speakers internal wiring. Neither I have control over power plant wiring to my house. But from my electric panel to my ears, I have some options to help the end result. Starting with a good inert AC receptacle to help control electricity vibrations.

The point is control what you can. If you don’t believe in these logical concepts, more power (no pun intended) to you.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #2,209 of 3,452
So, Ed from Chord Support told me that the max output power of the Mojo 2 at 40 Ohms, for my Meze 109 Pro, is 450mW.

I've given them the specs,
Sensitivity: 112dB SPL at 1KHz, 1mW
Impedance: 40 Ω

and asked them how much is the output power of the Mojo 2 in Watts? it is 450mW.

Do you guys think this is enough power to drive the 109 Pro to its full potential?

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,210 of 3,452
So, Ed from Chord Support told me that the max output power of the Mojo 2 at 40 Ohms, for my Meze 109 Pro, is 450mW.

I've given them the specs,
Sensitivity: 112dB SPL at 1KHz, 1mW
Impedance: 40 Ω

and asked them how much is the output power of the Mojo 2 in Watts? it is 450mW.

Do you guys think this is enough power to drive the 109 Pro to its full potential?
I have the same setup and yes it’s def enough. Sounds great.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #2,211 of 3,452
@SmashedITR , yes, I have the same setup, too, and to me, as well, it sounds great! I definitely enjoy it!

What I am asking is, if there are people here with more powerful headphone amplifiers and with more knowledge on the matter, and if they have listened to the 109 Pro with a less powerful and more powerful device. Can they hear any significant difference? And if there is, indeed, a significant and audible difference, is this due to the more powerful headphone amp or a different cable, or both?

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #2,213 of 3,452
Would any of you gentleman like to trade their 109 for my empyrean Plus some cash? I'm itching to downgrade and try these things 😄
Pm'd

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #2,214 of 3,452
What I am asking is, if there are people here with more powerful headphone amplifiers and with more knowledge on the matter, and if they have listened to the 109 Pro with a less powerful and more powerful device. Can they hear any significant difference? And if there is, indeed, a significant and audible difference, is this due to the more powerful headphone amp or a different cable, or both?
Anyone to reply to the above question, please?
Anyone of you having a good headphone amplifier and a less powerful, maybe portable, one? Can you hear any significant difference in the sound quality between the two?

It would be great if someone with a Mojo 2 and a more powerful headphone amplifier would describe their impressions!

Additionally, I have received an initial reply from XINHS regarding an alternative to the MONO 3.5 MM COPPER PCUHD PREMIUM CABLE.

Their suggestions are:
1) XINHS 4 Core Single Crystal Copper Silver
2) XINHS DIY 4 Core HIFI Cable

Is any of these XINHS cables a good alternative to the PCUHD?

Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #2,215 of 3,452
Anyone to reply to the above question, please?
Anyone of you having a good headphone amplifier and a less powerful, maybe portable, one? Can you hear any significant difference in the sound quality between the two?

It would be great if someone with a Mojo 2 and a more powerful headphone amplifier would describe their impressions!

Additionally, I have received an initial reply from XINHS regarding an alternative to the MONO 3.5 MM COPPER PCUHD PREMIUM CABLE.

Their suggestions are:
1) XINHS 4 Core Single Crystal Copper Silver
2) XINHS DIY 4 Core HIFI Cable

Is any of these XINHS cables a good alternative to the PCUHD?

Thank you

The Mojo 2 will drive these with ease, and get them above deafening levels - you don't need someone to compare to a desktop amp, as your Mojo 2 will be fine.

You even put the specs earlier - 1mw of power will get these to around 110dB - 450mw output of the Mojo 2 is wayyyyy more than you need for the 109 Pro.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #2,216 of 3,452
Had my 109 Pro delivered yesterday, looking forward to having a listen soon.

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #2,217 of 3,452
The Mojo 2 will drive these with ease, and get them above deafening levels - you don't need someone to compare to a desktop amp, as your Mojo 2 will be fine.

You even put the specs earlier - 1mw of power will get these to around 110dB - 450mw output of the Mojo 2 is wayyyyy more than you need for the 109 Pro.
Thanks for your answer but my question does not have to do with volume levels. It has to do with sound quality, in the sense that a more powerful headphone amplifier can make the 109 Pro sound better. Can it make them sound better?

Looking forward to your impressions - preferably after 100 hours of burn-in.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #2,218 of 3,452
It has to do with sound quality, in the sense that a more powerful headphone amplifier can make the 109 Pro sound better. Can it make them sound better?
Yes it can, for a little bit, but most difference and better sound you can get, with the DAC or DAP.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #2,219 of 3,452
Yes it can, for a little bit, but most difference and better sound you can get, with the DAC or DAP.
Okay then, thank you for you reply, I will stop thinking about getting a headphone amplifier and I will focus on if I can find a better cable.

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #2,220 of 3,452
It's been real hard to tear my LCD-X off my head for long, but I gave these guys a long listen with the gold lion tubes, and just a bit of a boost in the low end via PEACE, and it was absolutely lovely. Take a little bit to adjust to the dynamic driver sound, but then they are a very enjoyable presentation these 109Pro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back