Meze Audio 109 Pro
Apr 14, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #2,236 of 3,477
yes, of course ive tried other amps. .5w is trash unless you only listen to low energy music.
On low gain it's 1w and max volume low gain isnt enough. Period, point blank. Mid gain i often inch my way to max volume during a session and have to switch to high gain.

Why you keep saying 145dB is beyond me, as I clearly said I can't listen at max volume in high gain. I CAN however, and every much ALWAYS use >1w.

Not trying to make anyone hate their gear or anything like that- to each their own. But if I only had 450mw I'd be at max volume all the time. That's clearly short of what the ideal situation would be.

Please enlighten yourself before posting such utter nonsense.

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Yes it's good to have some headroom, but the claims you're making are beyond that.

Even with peaks in bass heavy music you're not using much of the amps power output with the 109 Pro. They just don't need it.

Fine if you've got some planars that are harder to drive that you use with the same amp, but if someone is looking at the 109 Pro as their only headphones, it's silly to say they need such a powerful amp when they don't.

A JDS Labs Atom Amp+ will run most headphones currently available, including the Audeze LCD-4 and Sennheiser HD-800.

JDS Labs take a scientific approach and don't follow "vastly unnecessary power specs"

https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/06/power-is-volume/

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,238 of 3,477
A JDS Labs Atom Amp+ will run most headphones currently available, including the Audeze LCD-4 and Sennheiser HD-800.

Too bad, it is made with crappy plastic 👎

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #2,239 of 3,477
Apr 14, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #2,240 of 3,477
They have made a metal version (for only 63zł more) - hopefully that'll make you happy

They do not need to make me happy. But it is good that they are willing to improve. If Schiit can do it (in metal) so should they.

Apr 14, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,241 of 3,477
Apr 14, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2,242 of 3,477

Yes it's good to have some headroom, but the claims you're making are beyond that.

Even with peaks in bass heavy music you're not using much of the amps power output with the 109 Pro. They just don't need it.

Fine if you've got some planars that are harder to drive that you use with the same amp, but if someone is looking at the 109 Pro as their only headphones, it's silly to say they need such a powerful amp when they don't.

JDS Labs take a scientific approach and don't follow "vastly unnecessary power specs"

I never said anyone "needed" 2w, I said .45w isnt enough.

Educate yourself on reading comprehension.

Also- saying a Fiio K9 is "such a powerful amp" and "vastly unnecessary power specs"
makes you sound like a peasant. A Fiio K9 is barely mid.

Let me remind you of my original comment that so triggered you-
"
Im running 2100mw and they can take it if your ears can lol.

Fiio K9 Pro is such a great match for them."

sounds pretty tame to me.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,243 of 3,477
I never said anyone "needed" 2w, I said .45w isnt enough.

Educate yourself on reading comprehension.

Also- saying a Fiio K9 is "such a powerful amp" and "vastly unnecessary power specs"
makes you sound like a peasant. A Fiio K9 is barely mid.

Let me remind you of my original comment that so triggered you-
"
Im running 2100mw and they can take it if your ears can lol.

sounds pretty tame to me.

0.45w is enough to get peaks up to 138dB - 130dB is the threshold of pain.

Anything over 5-7mw @40Ohms is enough for the 109 Pro.

Again please read the links I referenced.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,244 of 3,477
Kids, give it a rest. You're not convincing anyone of anything. Listen to what you like and enjoy your music. Let's keep things on topic of the 109s before the mods need to get involved. Otherwise take it to a private discussion.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #2,245 of 3,477
Kids, give it a rest. You're not convincing anyone of anything. Listen to what you like and enjoy your music. Let's keep things on topic of the 109s before the mods need to get involved. Otherwise take it to a private discussion.

Just a friendly suggestion.

I'm just trying to point out to those who might be new to the hobby to not get misinformed by people spouting silly claims.

If my posts can help someone see that numbers aren't everything, I'll be happy.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,246 of 3,477
I took a change on the 109 pro. Traveled to the nearest city today, where they had an hifi store wich had one pair in stock. Didnt audition them, because i wanted to take the earliest train home. But they said i had 2 weeks return.

Have just tested them brifley for an 30 minutes, but they sounded really good. Not good at describing sound, but they where spacious, detailed, with an little warmth. They reminded me an little about the speakers i have, dynaudio emit 10, wich also have this warmth in its sound. I can understand why people call them fun and musical 😊

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #2,247 of 3,477
I took a change on the 109 pro. Traveled to the nearest city today, where they had an hifi store wich had one pair in stock. Didnt audition them, because i wanted to take the earliest train home. But they said i had 2 weeks return.

Have just tested them brifley for an 30 minutes, but they sounded really good. Not good at describing sound, but they where spacious, detailed, with an little warmth. They reminded me an little about the speakers i have, dynaudio emit 10, wich also have this warmth in its sound. I can understand why people call them fun and musical 😊
Your ears are good. Fun, dynamic, detailed, and musical with a little warmth. Case closed. Enjoy your music and enjoy the 109 Pros. It really is that simple.

The 109 Pros have stopped me from trying to find the next best thing. They're just plain enjoyable to listen to. If Meze comes out with a new headphone with larger, faster drivers with a similar musical tuning as the 109 Pros, I will probably be interested. But otherwise, I've already tested the multi-thousand dollar waters (see my signature) and to my ears there's nothing out there that I find more attractive for overall enjoyment. YMMV and all that. But if you like the sound of the 109 Pro, my advice is to just stop and enjoy yourself. There aren't many other phones out there that beat it, especially for the price.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #2,248 of 3,477
Your ears are good. Fun, dynamic, detailed, and musical with a little warmth. Case closed. Enjoy your music and enjoy the 109 Pros. It really is that simple.

The 109 Pros have stopped me from trying to find the next best thing. They're just plain enjoyable to listen to. If Meze comes out with a new headphone with larger, faster drivers with a similar musical tuning as the 109 Pros, I will probably be interested. But otherwise, I've already tested the multi-thousand dollar waters (see my signature) and to my ears there's nothing out there that I find more attractive for overall enjoyment. YMMV and all that. But if you like the sound of the 109 Pro, my advice is to just stop and enjoy yourself. There aren't many other phones out there that beat it, especially for the price.

Tnx 😊 This was really the best blind buy i have bought. This will be my endgame headphone for now for sure. I have tried/had some few headphones/iems. But none that has had this musicality. Really engaging sound.And the comfort is just perfect.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #2,249 of 3,477

I love the Meze 109 Pro from my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Sony NW-WM1Z.

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #2,250 of 3,477
I'm just trying to point out to those who might be new to the hobby to not get misinformed by people spouting silly claims.

If my posts can help someone see that numbers aren't everything, I'll be happy.

" I'm running 2100mw and they can take it if your ears can lol.

What a SILLY CLAIM!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back