Meze Audio 109 Pro
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #2,162 of 3,452
Maze 109 Pro are extremely easy to drive. You will however need a dongle.
I use iFi Go Link and it works great.

Agreed, 112dB sensitivity makes these cans very easy to drive and GO link will do fine with them, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,163 of 3,452
I'm 47 and find nothing about the treble of the 109pro to be offensive
Unfortunately, I do... And I'm 45. Just had a half-hour listening session with them. Depending on a music material they can sound offensive in the treble. Something is not so natural up there as I expected. Otherwise it's a very nice headphone that I'd have expected to cost about the same as the Fostex TH610, just twice the price of the Sennheiser HD600 due to the increased resolution and soundstage.

They don't vanish on my head, I'm always aware of their presence, but nothing too offensive in regards to how they feel. I expected to hear a lot more bass but couldn't hear anything more than my Arya is capable of. The mids are perfect for me, very detailed and not harsh, slightly subdued at 2K as I like. Actually, I liked the mids in the Meze 109 slightly more than the TH610. But there is something in the treble that bugged me a lot. I simply couldn't relax! Something slightly unpleasant. Some tracks were OK, especially smooth jazz. Although the trumpets, shakers, chimes and hats could easily ruin my experience. As I shifted towards EDM this treble problem appeared to be a lot more pronounced.

Eventually, I decided not to buy them. They are not "fun" enough, and not quality enough to exceed a lot cheaper wooden Fostex TH610 with biodyna drivers in order to justify the difference in price. It's not something that would replace or even complement my Arya (I've got my TH610 for that purpose). So yeah, I'm slightly confused about the Meze 109. If Fostex TH610 did not exist, I'd probably buy them to my collection.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,164 of 3,452
The Meze 109 Pro seems made for Kenny G, New Standards in high res!

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #2,165 of 3,452
Unfortunately, I do... And I'm 45. Just had a half-hour listening session with them. Depending on a music material they can sound offensive in the treble. Something is not so natural up there as I expected. Otherwise it's a very nice headphone that I'd have expected to cost about the same as the Fostex TH610, just twice the price of the Sennheiser HD600 due to the increased resolution and soundstage.

They don't vanish on my head, I'm always aware of their presence, but nothing too offensive in regards to how they feel. I expected to hear a lot more bass but couldn't hear anything more than my Arya is capable of. The mids are perfect for me, very detailed and not harsh, slightly subdued at 2K as I like. Actually, I liked the mids in the Meze 109 slightly more than the TH610. But there is something in the treble that bugged me a lot. I simply couldn't relax! Something slightly unpleasant. Some tracks were OK, especially smooth jazz. Although the trumpets, shakers, chimes and hats could easily ruin my experience. As I shifted towards EDM this treble problem appeared to be a lot more pronounced.

Eventually, I decided not to buy them. They are not "fun" enough, and not quality enough to exceed a lot cheaper wooden Fostex TH610 with biodyna drivers in order to justify the difference in price. It's not something that would replace or even complement my Arya (I've got my TH610 for that purpose). So yeah, I'm slightly confused about the Meze 109. If Fostex TH610 did not exist, I'd probably buy them to my collection.
My experience with the 109 was similar. I listened to them next to the Lyric and that was probably a mistake. Sound seemed suddenly stripped of timbre, thinner with a decisive treble edge.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,166 of 3,452

That's why we all have our own ears. These cans are not for you. The only EQ I may add to the 109 depending upon source/material, is add some low end bass. Never had to even consider the treble for any reason.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,168 of 3,452
I am moments away from purchasing the Meze 109 pro while wearing and listening to my beloved Meze 99 classics. It may sound strange, but I don’t want to get used to the sound of the Meze 109 pro and not be able to wear the 99s again. Do you think that’s possible or are they complementary headphones? Maybe it’s a silly question but…”

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2,169 of 3,452
I am moments away from purchasing the Meze 109 pro while wearing and listening to my beloved Meze 99 classics. It may sound strange, but I don’t want to get used to the sound of the Meze 109 pro and not be able to wear the 99s again. Do you think that’s possible or are they complementary headphones? Maybe it’s a silly question but…”
Probably not. It's more likely that you might not like the 109 as much... At first. You and your brain are accustomed to the 99 Classics flavor, which isn't a bad thing. They are fun and exciting, a sound that is hard not to agree with. Just know that with the 109, you're getting a completely new and different flavor. I don't own the 109, as it doesn't sound like my cup of tea based on this thread. But also based on this thread, it's quite obvious that the 109 is tuned very differently. What exactly are you looking for in terms of sound from your next headphone?

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,170 of 3,452
Hey guys, I'm selling my empyrean to get a lesser model in the meze range and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between these or the liric, what are your thoughts? Especially if I want to just drive them simply with a dongle dac/amp?

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,171 of 3,452
Probably not. It's more likely that you might not like the 109 as much... At first. You and your brain are accustomed to the 99 Classics flavor, which isn't a bad thing. They are fun and exciting, a sound that is hard not to agree with. Just know that with the 109, you're getting a completely new and different flavor. I don't own the 109, as it doesn't sound like my cup of tea based on this thread. But also based on this thread, it's quite obvious that the 109 is tuned very differently. What exactly are you looking for in terms of sound from your next headphone?

I
My main goal is to improve the sound quality of my headphones. I want to get the best possible performance for this price range, but I don’t want to lose my attachment to my Meze’s 99c. I use them for more immersive listening sessions, while I have a Sony BT IEM (WF-1000XM3) for portability. I have tried other brands (Grado, AKG, Ety’s, etc.) but now I only want to keep the essentials

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #2,172 of 3,452
I

My main goal is to improve the sound quality of my headphones. I want to get the best possible performance for this price range, but I don’t want to lose my attachment to my Meze’s 99c. I use them for more immersive listening sessions, while I have a Sony BT IEM (WF-1000XM3) for portability. I have tried other brands (Grado, AKG, Ety’s, etc.) but now I only want to keep the essentials
If you like and prefer the sonic characteristics of the 99s, you might want to look into something else. That is if you're looking to improve upon specifically what the 99 does. If you are looking for a different flavor all together, the 109 would be a nice complimentary set of cans. I've been searching for a more mature headphone, similar to the 99s, only better performance regarding instrument separation, detailing, soundstage, clarity, resolution etc., but a similar tuning all together. Haven't found it yet. I was really hoping that the 109 would be it, but Meze went a different direction with it. That being said, I discovered Kennerton, and have been very happy with my Gjallarhorn and Vali Neo.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #2,173 of 3,452
The 109Pro is a league above the 99s technically, but the tonality is a bit different. Why don't you keep both?

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #2,174 of 3,452
I love LQI Cables! Jason is awesome to work with. They're out of Arlington Heights, Illinois. I love the brown/black cables with the Meze 109 Pro headphones.

20230325_101412.jpg20230325_101401.jpg
How it compare soundwise in comparison of the Meze PCUHD copper?

I’m currently burning a Meze PCUHD silver-plated and it’s probrably too much high energy in the treble region.

I will most certainly buy a good copper cable. Have to decide between the Meze PCUHD copper and a more heavier gauge OCC copper cable (ie. Norne Drausk).

Mar 29, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #2,175 of 3,452
How it compare soundwise in comparison of the Meze PCUHD copper?

I’m currently burning a Meze PCUHD silver-plated and it’s probrably too much high energy in the treble region.

I will most certainly buy a good copper cable. Have to decide between the Meze PCUHD copper and a more heavier gauge OCC copper cable (ie. Norne Drausk).
They are both very similar sound-wise. I only do copper. Silver plated cables are too hot for me. The LQI cable seems lighter, more flexible, and easy to use. I love the brown/black colors too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back