Meze Audio 109 Pro
Mar 7, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,981 of 3,467
Did they acknowledge that there was a problem with the ear cup? Mine clicks too, but only when I move it by hand. Not when I'm wearing them.

Is it an actual failure of some sort?
After sending them a video and copy of my receipt, they organized them to be collected and shipped back to them. They only arrived with them yesterday and I got a notification from DHL today that a parcel is on its way from Romania, but I haven't heard anything from Meze themselves about it. I doubt they have sent me a new pair as they specifically requested I sent just the headphones and not any of the cables or case. They covered shipping both ways which is super nice of them. Not something every company will do. Definitely gives them even more brownie points in my book. The DHL parcel should be here on Thursday so I'll update with whether they fixed it or not. When I receive them I'll also ask them if they have any more info just in case its something that could be done DIY if it ever happens outside of warranty. That info might be useful for some people as Meze doesn't allow the warranty to transfer on second hand products, or open box, display models, or anything thats been opened despite people in the classifieds saying theres X months of warranty left!

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,982 of 3,467
Quick noob question. If I have a dual 3.5mm stereo cable (3 pole) from hart audio (not the meze 2 pole version) that actually fits the 109s sockets, can I use it without any problems?
Don't do it. The plugs are barely small enough to fit, but you will scratch the tunnel walls when you take them out.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #1,983 of 3,467
I mentioned that I love 109 Pro, but, am saving up for the Elite. It's great, I want all opinions , comments, impressions, etc , but, ultimately it's personal preference.
The fact that phones like 109 Pro and Arya are being mentioned together with the TOTL is telling- the 109 Pro and Arya (esp Stealth imo) are fantastic headphones, and more-than-enough for most.

However, even Drew (who recommends passing on Elite) still has a DCA Expanse. Point being, there are a lot of great phones to match all our differing priorities. I mean, different genres really change opinions , obviously. A jazz lover isnt going to want the EDM's guys chain most likely.

I agree that the 109 Pro is a fantastic headphone. I chose them over the Clear OG and D9200 for it's musical/fun tuning and superior comfort, but I'm never going to confuse them for a $1,500+ pair of headphones. They don't compete in that price bracket for technicalities, and I don't expect them to.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #1,984 of 3,467
I agree that the 109 Pro is a fantastic headphone. I chose them over the Clear OG and D9200 for it's musical/fun tuning and superior comfort, but I'm never going to confuse them for a $1,500+ pair of headphones. They don't compete in that price bracket for technicalities, and I don't expect them to.
How would you compare and contrast the upper mids and lower treble between the 109 and the 9200?

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #1,985 of 3,467
That's a bit difficult as I thought the D9200 did better mids (including lower mids) and the 109 Pro did better highs. Overall I will have to give the edge to the D9200 as it had better layering, separation and transparency. Bass quality/quantity goes to the D9200 and it wasn't even close. I still preferred the 109 Pro in overall tonality. And comfort goes to the 109 Pro by a mile.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,986 of 3,467
That's a bit difficult as I thought the D9200 did better mids (including lower mids) and the 109 Pro did better highs. Overall I will have to give the edge to the D9200 as it had better layering, separation and transparency. Bass quality/quantity goes to the D9200 and it wasn't even close. I still preferred the 109 Pro in overall tonality. And comfort goes to the 109 Pro by a mile.
Yeah, comfort on the 9200 wasn't great. Which did you find brighter? The 9200 didn't really bug me, even though I can be sensitive to bright and splashy signatures. But I would say that it was right at my cut off line. Anything more in the upper frequencies would been too much. The bass from the 9200 was good, in that it was quality with good layering and detail, but I prefer a little more presence and quantity from the low end. Perhaps the 109 wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,987 of 3,467
Yeah, comfort on the 9200 wasn't great. Which did you find brighter? The 9200 didn't really bug me, even though I can be sensitive to bright and splashy signatures. But I would say that it was right at my cut off line. Anything more in the upper frequencies would been too much. The bass from the 9200 was good, in that it was quality with good layering and detail, but I prefer a little more presence and quantity from the low end. Perhaps the 109 wouldn't be my cup of tea.
So you did not find the D9200 low end to have enough weight or impact? What specifically would you like to have the D9200 do better in the low end? And have you found a headphone that gives you that in a more complete package?

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,988 of 3,467
So you did not find the D9200 low end to have enough weight or impact? What specifically would you like to have the D9200 do better in the low end? And have you found a headphone that gives you that in a more complete package?
Correct. While it was relatively fast and tactile, it just didn't have quite enough ooph and decay for my likings. My two favorite headphone atm are the Kennerton Gjallarhorn Mk1, and the Ibasso SR2. I prefer a slightly dark signature, but not overly so. Both of these sets really satisfy me in terms of frequency response, staging, separation, timbre and tonality. I primarily listen to hard rock music from the 80s, and the presentation from both really hits the spot for my ears. The 9200 was pretty good for this as well, but my other two are a little more dynamic in nature, with a bit more meat on the bone.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #1,989 of 3,467
Correct. While it was relatively fast and tactile, it just didn't have quite enough ooph and decay for my likings. My two favorite headphone atm are the Kennerton Gjallarhorn Mk1, and the Ibasso SR2. I prefer a slightly dark signature, but not overly so. Both of these sets really satisfy me in terms of frequency response, staging, separation, timbre and tonality. I primarily listen to hard rock music from the 80s, and the presentation from both really hits the spot for my ears. The 9200 was pretty good for this as well, but my other two are a little more dynamic in nature, with a bit more meat on the bone.
I take it you found the decay too quick then? I think I know what you mean if that is the case. I have experienced that nice, tight, fast bass, but in an effort to control it, a headphone can be too quick in the decay which is not as natural. I want a happy balance between speed and natural decay. The D9200 would probably work well for me though, and I assume it should take equalization in the bass pretty well if I want to fatten it up. Definitely on my radar. Would like to try the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 as well.

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,990 of 3,467
I would say the D9200 had more treble energy. The 109 Pro is more sparkly and airy

If you felt the bass was lacking in D9200, I don't think the 109 Pro is for you. The D9200 definitely has more quantity and presence.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #1,991 of 3,467
FR graphs are deceiving, too. I duly note their data and formulate my own opinions. It is useful data i guess, but , at the same time some of the very best headphones have wonky FRC graphs, and some of the deadest sounding cans are perfect FRC matches with Harmon lmao.
The Sennheiser 560s is a classic example of this. One of Senny's most neutral cans, a darling of the measurement crowd. Also one of the most boring models in their lineup. Clinical, dry, sterile, with just enough of a treble spike to be annoying.

I was so excited to buy them in early 2021. Sold them within a month and haven't missed them for one day.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,992 of 3,467
For whatever reason, I have always preferred dynamic drivers to planars.
I think I'm starting to lean this way, too, as I learn more about sound and discover what I truly value in a signature.

At first, I was all about details and speed. So, planars were the hot ticket for me. But I'm starting to value timbre and organic tuning more, and I've heard those qualities more in dynamics than planars lately.

Evolution never stops in this hobby -- both in equipment and in our preferences. Always fascinating, always fun!

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,993 of 3,467
The Sennheiser 560s is a classic example of this. One of Senny's most neutral cans, a darling of the measurement crowd. Also one of the most boring models in their lineup. Clinical, dry, sterile, with just enough of a treble spike to be annoying.

Balanced cable, iFi ZEN CAN: not clinical, not dry, not sterile, with just enough treble :)

Boring music ? Perhaps.
Boring headphones ? No clue.

Needless to say, YMMV :)

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #1,994 of 3,467

I was so excited to buy them in early 2021. Sold them within a month and haven't missed them for one day.
Damn, I really hate the HD560S! Couldn't agree more on what you said. That headphone also fatigues quickly.

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #1,995 of 3,467
Used the 560s strictly for gaming where positional sound was important. Loved them for that. I have yet to listen to a song through them though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back