Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 27, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #1,516 of 3,467
I have an Arya Stealth. Adding 109 Pro to my collection will be a complementary headphone or both will have similar traits?

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #1,518 of 3,467
Hi everyone.

I’m interested in potentially purchasing the Meze 109 Pro.

However, DMS said he wasn’t that impressed with them when running on tubes.

I run a iBasso DX320 edition X with the Amp 14 module which is a dual nutube setup and it sounds awesome.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with the 109 pro on tubes, and if so how does it sound especially the treble end of things?

Thanks all
Hi there

I have tried it with my own Cayin HA-6A tube amp.

**Disclaimer though pairing with other tube amps like Woo, Feliks, Dark Voice, etc. will have different results.

Meze 109 Pro is a fun headphone with great details and an airy soundstage. Pairing it with a tube amp will improve the holographic soundstage, smooth out treble, the bass and midrange sound warmer and fuller. It is good for the "sit back and relax" kind of listening. I kinda get why DMS prefers to pair with a SS amp like his favorite Fiio K9Pro. Personally. I prefer to pair with 1. Questyle M15 and 2. Dragonfly Cobalt (sold) both for desktop and OTG.

I suggest going to try a demo at the store with your DAP if you have the chance. Meze 109 Pro sound can adapt to most sources, but not compromise its sound signature:wink:

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,519 of 3,467
Such as the sense of space, speed, detail/resolution, effortlessness, imaging, extension(in one or both directions), and comfort & build quality?
Yes, except for comfort & build quality. I find the 109 Pro to fit better and built much better.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,520 of 3,467
What do you dislike about Arya, or think the 109 will do better at..? I would for sure go for Arya, if similarly priced.
I'm just a bit bored of the Arya's now and want to try something new. Unfortunately Ireland doesn't have many Hifi shops that carry a lot of display models so I usually have to take a chance and buy something to try it.

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,521 of 3,467
Hi, Haven’t been on here for a while, as I’ve been happy with my present cans HD6XX & Edition XS, for 7 yrs and a year respectively. I only listen via CD transport, Co-Ax to SMSL D300 into Singxer SA-1 all balanced and 4.4 Pentaconn balanced cables on both sets of cans. I have over 2500 CD's and 85% are vocal CD's.

I find the XS a bit nasally, on vocals, and the vocals are not as clear or defined as the HD6XX, which although an inferior listen overall, are much nicer for congested mid ranges as lyrics are more followable as they are cleaner & clearer, more forward, ie, you can hear the diction of words better.

SO, sorry for the long intro, would these 109 pro be more like the 6XX or XS, as I really prefer a detailing and diction of vocals more than a larger soundstage or deep bass or bright top end and l still listen predominantly to the 6XX, and think these 109 pro might be my answer, or a recommendation of something that gives excellent vocals up to £1k….. Cheers.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,522 of 3,467
Hi, Haven’t been on here for a while, as I’ve been happy with my present cans HD6XX & Edition XS, for 7 yrs and a year respectively. I only listen via CD transport, Co-Ax to SMSL D300 into Singxer SA-1 all balanced and 4.4 Pentaconn balanced cables on both sets of cans. I have over 2500 CD's and 85% are vocal CD's.

I find the XS a bit nasally, on vocals, and the vocals are not as clear or defined as the HD6XX, which although an inferior listen overall, are much nicer for congested mid ranges as lyrics are more followable as they are cleaner & clearer, more forward, ie, you can hear the diction of words better.

SO, sorry for the long intro, would these 109 pro be more like the 6XX or XS, as I really prefer a detailing and diction of vocals more than a larger soundstage or deep bass or bright top end and l still listen predominantly to the 6XX, and think these 109 pro might be my answer, or a recommendation of something that gives excellent vocals up to £1k….. Cheers.
The Meze 109 has excellent vocals. But the Meze 109 could be bright on the top end for some people. I have the 6XX and had the Edition XS. And I definitely prefer the Meze 109 more. I only take out the 6XX when I am on tubes.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,523 of 3,467
The Meze 109 has excellent vocals. But the Meze 109 could be bright on the top end for some people. I have the 6XX and had the Edition XS. And I definitely prefer the Meze 109 more. I only take out the 6XX when I am on tubes.
Thank you, the D300 is a ROHM chipped DAC and the SA-1 is class A, both are a little less edgy and take the "brightness" out of the XS, so may be a good fit for the 109, I will have to travel 140 miles to get a demo, so just trying to get a few impressions from others before committing. Cheers.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #1,524 of 3,467

I think the 109 Pro presents more body and depth to vocals than the HD600 series. Definitely more detail and resolution as well. For vocals these might be the best you can get up to $1k. If you really want to pony up ZMF is generally regarded as the best for vocals.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,526 of 3,467
Ireland doesn't have many Hifi shops that carry a lot of display models so I usually have to take a chance and buy something to try it.
Same for most of USA lol. Welcome to the club. Just make sure you can return it, or sell on Ebay! :)

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,527 of 3,467
Same for most of USA lol. Welcome to the club. Just make sure you can return it, or sell on Ebay! :)
14 day returns here in the EU from the day of delivery even if you open and try something. No questions asked either which is great.

Such a shame we don't have any big hifi shops here. One store stocks Sennheiser, Audeze, Hifiman and Grado, but have very little in stock. When I asked them about Hifiman they said they only had a Sundara and one other cheaper model. No HD600/650 in stock either. I don't think they had a single Audeze headphone.

Another store stocks Focal, Meze and a handful of others and do usually have a few things in stock, but when I asked they were all sold out of Meze stuff and unsure when they were due more.

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,528 of 3,467
14 day returns here in the EU from the day of delivery even if you open and try something. No questions asked either which is great.

Such a shame we don't have any big hifi shops here. One store stocks Sennheiser, Audeze, Hifiman and Grado, but have very little in stock. When I asked them about Hifiman they said they only had a Sundara and one other cheaper model. No HD600/650 in stock either. I don't think they had a single Audeze headphone.

Another store stocks Focal, Meze and a handful of others and do usually have a few things in stock, but when I asked they were all sold out of Meze stuff and unsure when they were due more.
All of this simply means you need to cut the BS, and go to a Stax dealer..! ✨

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,529 of 3,467

Sadly only in Amsterdam. In Europe we are second class lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back