Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #1,426 of 3,500
Mojo2 and Sony TA-ZH1ES have both been performing extremely well for me with these.

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,428 of 3,500
Hello
I have just got my new 109 pro and now I am looking for a good amp to pair
Any suggestion?
I am enjoying my rig:

iPad Pro > Tidal > Cayin RU6 > Meze 4.4mm cable > 109Pro. High gain, NOS. My volume seldom goes above 32db

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,429 of 3,500
the only thing, it's on 3.5mm not 4.4mm balanced, though it still sound very very good compare to others dac own.
for whom 4.4mm is a deal breaker I recommed ifi xdsd gryphon. Which is really good, too. But if I could only have one I would Go for mojo 2. but that is just me because I don‘t own a good 4.4 cable for 109 pro‘s yet

11DDEAFF-8F81-4CDA-A093-38C3FDDD7143.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,430 of 3,500
for whom 4.4mm is a deal breaker I recommed ifi xdsd gryphon. Which is really good, too. But if I could only have one I would Go for mojo 2. but that is just me because I don‘t own a good 4.4 cable for 109 pro‘s yet

11DDEAFF-8F81-4CDA-A093-38C3FDDD7143.jpeg
i do not think it's a deal breaker without 4.4mm plug .. mojo just sounded very good. A adaptor from ddhifi will be able to use existing 4.4mm cable to mojo.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,432 of 3,500
I am enjoying the Geshelli J2 w/ Jotunheim combo for desktop. Very warm and smooth set up. I also use IFI go blu for on the go listening (no, i dont walk around the street with an open back. Just around the house).
Jot unbalanced i presume

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,433 of 3,500
Meze 109 Pro - Impressive!
I have my thoughts of the 109 Pro on video format via my YT Channel, but I wanted to also write out my full thoughts. These are very popular right now and they should be! So here we go:
Intro
The 109 Pro retails at $799 (US) and comes in at a very competitive price with other sub-1k headphones. It is an open back, dynamic driver, headphone that is made of Walnut Wood on the cups.
Meze 109 1_1.3.1.jpg

In the Box
You get a nice leather zippered case containing the 109 Pro as well as a leather pouch with accessories. The accessories are: 3m cable that is dual 3.5mm to 3.5mm connection. Then a shorter cable that is also 3.5mm to 3.5mm connection. Lastly, you do get a 6.3 SE adapter. Nothing stellar about the cables and since I have plenty of cables of this type, I used my own.
Build/Comfort
These are made of Walnut Wood on the cups. There is a vegan leather headband held up by a manganese steel suspension system. Even though it is 375g, it is very light weight. The pads are a velour material and are very plush and just cushion to the ears.
Comfort wise these are the most comfortable headphones I have worn to date. The pads just cushion to the head like a pillow. The suspension system means you will get an exact fit and it also seals very well. One thing I did not note in my video is just how articulate they were in engineering the 50mm drivers of this headphone. It is angled at a way in which gives you that enveloped sound that I will discuss further down. Bravo to Meze here!
109 Close shot_1.1.2.jpg

Power
These are 40ohm drivers with a sensitivity of 112db spl per 1mw. Super easy to drive!! This means you can suffice on simply a phone and they will take to pretty much any power of amp just fine. Sadly (but also very good) I did not notice much of a difference at all between something like the iFi Uno and my ADI2DAC for sound!
Also, I should note that I did listen to these balanced via XLR. To me, it did not make a difference to call either a preference.
109 and units_1.1.1.jpg

Sound
What can I say here except...so so so good! I've ran these headphones through the gambit of many different tracks and I am happy to say they handle every genre I throw at them very well. This is to say that the balance of the FR is done so well here, that they are truly an all-rounder and I can see anyone calling this their endgame.
Bass? Yes. Good Midrange? Yes. Treble that can sparkle? Yes. Imaging and Stage? Yes.
I think you see my point here.
Male and female vocalists both sounded great on this headphone. Midrange focused tracks such as Break by Santana ft Ally Brooke was a pleasant and engaging listen. Her voice breaks through when it must and the guitar sounds just like it should. It's a compliment to both artists in this track and something fun to listen on the 109 Pro.
I threw on a new KORN song called Worst is on its Way (HEALTH Remix) and wow! The bass is incredible at the beginning and you almost feel like you are wearing a closed back for the performance. This track does get muddy due to how it was mastered, but still, excellent bass representation.
For stage I listened to some live performances and got that definite sense of the arena or area it took place in.
The same can be said for gaming. I played Red Dead Redemption 2 with these on and I didn't want to stop playing! It's a very expansive and wide open game and sounds that way too on the right headphone (such as the 109 Pro).
Meze 109 2_1.8.1.jpg

Are there any drawbacks?
Sure. Anyone who is looking for something very specific may not get it out of the 109 Pro. If you need a very detailed and analytical headphone, you aren't really going to get it on this. I compare to something like an Aeon Noire or MM-500 for instance, and feel they take the crown above the 109 Pro here. I'm sure it is also due to the whole Planar vs Dynamic debate. I am a bit biased as a Dynamic Driver preferred listener, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good planar. After all, I own the Aeon Noire and love them for what they are!
Also I have read reports of some calling the 109 Pro a bit too sparkly at times in the treble. Personally I don't feel this way, but my tolerance for that is a bit different. That's not to say I enjoy that type of sound (I don't) I just personally don't feel that way about the 109 Pro.
Lastly would be power. Now this is actually a positive, not a drawback. However, if you are someone who has some high end expensive amps/dacs and expect to get some euphoric sound nobody else will out of the 109...I think I'd have to challenge that. They sound so good on budget to high end equipment. I have the iFi Uno (review will drop here soon) and I love that device with the 109 Pro!! I mean that package is under $900 and you could be set with endgame sound. Not saying you should do that, just an example.
109 and Uno_1.13.1.jpg

Fast Comparison
I may do a comparison video/impression here soon as I didn't do a lot of this during my listening. I did compare these to the 99 Classics, mostly to show the size difference of the two. Sound wise it doesn't make much sense to compare since the 99 Classics are so bass heavy compared to....about anything. The Aeon Noire make an interesting comparison simply because the price point is so close. So I may dive further into that. The other comparison I referenced was to my Focal Radiance (though it's a closed back and also about $400 more in price). That comparison is interesting because I think both are great all rounders albeit the open vs closed consideration.

Meze 109 and 99_1.10.1.jpg

109 and Noire_1.11.1.jpg

So yes, I absolutely love the 109 Pro and I will not be parting ways with these at all! They have found a place in my collection and easily into my top 3. I'll link my video review below for anyone who would like to drop in and watch.
Cheers!!

Attachments

• 109 and units_1.1.1.jpg
    109 and units_1.1.1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 109 and Uno_1.13.1.jpg
    109 and Uno_1.13.1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,437 of 3,500
I recieved these some days ago. I'm very impressed, I actually like the sound better than the Arya models and equalized HD800, because it just sound really good and natural with any music.
Indeed

Jan 19, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #1,438 of 3,500
109 Pro are great headphones.
Which do you think is the best amplifier for them, under 500 euros?
Using my new HiFiMAN EF400 DAC/amp. 4.4mm "silver" cable from Meze. Great details and timbre.

1674175829714.png

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #1,439 of 3,500
This is a thread for discussing the upcoming Meze Audio 109 Pro.
The prototype was available at the Munich High End show.
IMG_20220521_132446.jpg
IMG_20220521_132420.jpg
IMG_20220521_132429.jpg
IMG_20220521_132438.jpg

I had the chance to listen to it with an A&K player that was at the booth and without my gear and my music.

The sound signature reminded me of the Empyrean.
Warm and very musical tuning with good sub bass extension and a mid bass tilt.
Spacy and engaging mids with smooth treble that had good extension and detail.
Open sounding and quite dynamic.
Super comfortable and well build.
This is definitely a Meze headphone.
Music is the priority, analysis comes as a second.
any comparisons vs the Focal Elex? Are they close or is one noticeably better?

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #1,440 of 3,500
any comparisons vs the Focal Elex? Are they close or is one noticeably better?
Different I would say.
The Elex is a touch drier and leaner while they have different sound signatures but can't help more right now because it's been a long since I used the Elex.
Maybe I can do a brief comparison in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back