Meze Audio 109 Pro
Oct 22, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #961 of 3,591
IMG_2525.JPG

Oct 22, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #963 of 3,591
Hey ThanatosVI, what are your impressions so far?
This is a dealer picture not mine (yet)
Will probably take a few months before I can call them my own.

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #965 of 3,591
So I've had mine for 15 days now. Just approaching 360 hrs burn-in!

My pair have also appeared to have turned a little warmer but not too much. Hehe...yeah, they are definitely much different now to how they sounded compared to day one lol. Mainly...it's all the technicalities that have improved. The imaging, layering and separation is really quite stunning now.

There's just a ton of nuance in the bass/sub-bass region now which is delineated super smoothly in an effortless way.

Treble is just really refined and smoother now. These treble sensitive ears didn't have a major issue with it on day one despite the occasional glareyness. Now, it is just kinda sublime lol.

@CTR640 I think people shouldn't take what you say lightly when you described your 109 Pros bass as being "punchy and thumping"...if people are questioning how dynamic this headphone is...especially compared to Focals. Why you ask? Simply...you own a Klipsch Heritage HP-3...and I've heard that the bass on that thing hits REAL hard! :grin:
For you to speak favourably of the 109 Pros bass, considering you own an HP-3 says quite a lot imo, heh.
Don't get me wrong...in no way am I saying that the Meze is in basshead territory...all I'm saying is that with particular tracks...it's not too bass shy lol.

Anyone reading all my recent impressions of these cans thinking I'm just blindly gushing about them in an embarrasing manner, while I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" with my head in the clouds...make no mistake....I am under no illusion. It's a fact that you can find technically better headphones out there. I already mentioned that I wanted to purchase an Arya Stealth, for example, but I can't justify the price of them, not because of their current price but because of my current financial situation. While speaking of better headphones...let's not even begin mentioning the true "summit fi" options out in the wild...there is a LOT better out there than the Meze 109 Pro lol

My main point is...considering their price...you could do a lot friggin worse than the 109 Pros lol 🤷‍♂️
Yep, everything you said I couldn't agree more. So it will probably improve more for you. Regarding the bass as being "punchy and thumping", this was very coincidentally as I was playing The Crew 2 while listening to rock songs. Some tracks, when they ask, they bass can sound powerfull, it's like you can feel the bass. When that kind of bass is not asked, you won't experience that. The 109 is indeed not a basshead heasphone. The real basshead headphone is probably the Tygr 300R.

There may indeed a LOT of better cans out there than the 109 but are they? :p This hobby is entirely subjective. Some may love the €5000 Focal and others may hate that €5000 Focal. And not to mention the giant leap in diminishing returns. So yeah, unjustifiable. But even if I rob banks or scam people around with NFT/cryptos that made me a billionar, I just won't buy headphones starting from €2000 all the way to 12K. I mean, I only buy headphones because of the specs, tonalities, how it sounds and not buying them by looking at the price tags and be like "damn, that headphone costs over 9000 so it must be very good!!"

And the funny thing is, I really wanted the Liric but because all lot of owners have shared their experiences on how it does sound, it's not for me. So yeah, you buy headphones that does sound good to your own ears, not by looking at the price tags.

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #966 of 3,591
Now I’m really curious. Although I am treble sensitive, it’s WHERE a treble anomaly lies that bothers me.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #967 of 3,591
I have the 99c with first pads and silver cable and loveeee them.
Someday I'm thinking to buy open back, can you tell the difference beside 99c and 109 pro. I listen 80s disco pop. Rock hard rock heavy metal, general can listen everything except opera
Dap Is shanling m6 pro 21
Several comments describing the differences written in this thread.

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #968 of 3,591
Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't tried anything from Audeze. The weight has always turned me off. I should probably get over it and try one.
I don't notice the weight that much because the suspension headband does a nice job of evenly distributing the weight with no hotspots. Plus the cups are deep and wide, with SUPER-comfortable pads.

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #969 of 3,591
It's between these and the AKG K812....decisions, decisions....
I would take this between the two. I have the K812. It does not take balanced cable. Balanced cable would be an advantage if driven from portable gear. It is not uncomfortable, but the edge of the pad can cut into the ears after a while. Bass is there, but many times I feel I would add a bit more to the lower registers and take away from the upper ones.

If you wish to upgrade maybe better go straight to the Elite instead of upgrading the DAP. But as always - best to try yourself.

Oct 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #970 of 3,591
If you ever need EQing Tidal, use Tidal from HiBy music app. That one has EQ, and MSEB.
Thanks for the tip. I missed this update. It's great to apply the EQ on my Tidal tracks.

My 70+ ears need some treble boost, and with EQ I can now listen at lower volumes. Double plus.

However the HiBy GUI for the Tidal app is lacking some key functionality, like the ability to sort Albums, Artists, Playlists.

I still have to use Tidal to see recommendations based on my years of usage.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #971 of 3,591
I use Good Love by The Black Keys as my test to find whether headphones are punchy. It's one of those tracks which just has stunning guitar work on it. Pity it's so short.

I've been listening a bit out of the Cayin R6. Still, the treble is a bit edgy in this set-up from some tracks even so, and the mid-bass noticeably subdued compared to my main rig, which is a surprise, given the high sensitivity. Still, it's a pretty nice match.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #972 of 3,591
I use Good Love by The Black Keys as my test to find whether headphones are punchy. It's one of those tracks which just has stunning guitar work on it. Pity it's so short.

I've been listening a bit out of the Cayin R6. Still, the treble is a bit edgy in this set-up from some tracks even so, and the mid-bass noticeably subdued compared to my main rig, which is a surprise, given the high sensitivity. Still, it's a pretty nice match.
Nice.

Not sure if you have heard the Liric but if you have, any comparison between the treble of it and the 109 would be awesome.

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #973 of 3,591
Oct 25, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #974 of 3,591
Wow, headphones look so cheap in US funds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back