Meze Audio 109 Pro
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #947 of 3,591
Honeymoon Period
I am still in the honeymoon period, around 200 hours.
I run Tidal with no EQ available, and I am happy to report that the 109s sound just right (as Goldilocks would say).

Convergance from Malia and Boris Blank delivers on all tests (sub-bass, bass, mids, female vocals, treble, soundstage, imaging and emotion):
If you ever need EQing Tidal, use Tidal from HiBy music app. That one has EQ, and MSEB.
Thanks for Malia. Nice in the night.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #948 of 3,591
@Cuthbert 80
How long have you have the 109? And do you notice differences between now and day one since you got them?
In my experience the sound is no longer the same as on day one, it's like a different headphone now lol. They sound warmer, much warmer than on day one while the 'microdetails' still remains. I also love it how the earpads fits perfectly around my ears.

And regarding the talk about the ZMF. I so want the ZMF Caldera! But the price tho... Is ZMF an American company?
I will not collect them like ZMF....I will not collect them.....I will not collect them lol
Do you rob banks?!

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #949 of 3,591
Some experimenting :)
This work well...increased bass and tamed highs, but they still have all sound and clarity, they are more forgiving to ears now.
The material it is a hard felt similar to the filters that marshal provide with some of their headphones, they affect just the end of high frequencies. This being also cut in center exposing central part of speaker clear work also better.

Attachments

• 20221022_025914.jpg
    20221022_025914.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221022_025924.jpg
    20221022_025924.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #950 of 3,591
Some experimenting :)
This work well...increased bass and tamed highs, but they still have all sound and clarity, they are more forgiving to ears now.
The material it is a hard felt similar to the filters that marshal provide with some of their headphones, they affect just the end of high frequencies. This being also cut in center exposing central part of speaker clear work also better.
Got link to the material used?

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #951 of 3,591
Nop, I was done this long ago for a pair of akg 712 pro, based on modders experimenting...that headphone being popular benefit for a lot of tricks tested in time, this was one of them. This is how marshall is doing them.

Attachments

• 20221022_034835.jpg
    20221022_034835.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #953 of 3,591
Like MrSpeakers Doggie Treats tuning felt on the old Alpha Dogs. Why not with other headphones.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #954 of 3,591
It's between these and the AKG K812....decisions, decisions....

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #955 of 3,591
@Cuthbert 80
How long have you have the 109? And do you notice differences between now and day one since you got them?
In my experience the sound is no longer the same as on day one, it's like a different headphone now lol. They sound warmer, much warmer than on day one while the 'microdetails' still remains. I also love it how the earpads fits perfectly around my ears.

And regarding the talk about the ZMF. I so want the ZMF Caldera! But the price tho... Is ZMF an American company?

Do you rob banks?!
Maybe I do, maybe I don't. Yes ZMF is an American company and has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #957 of 3,591
What about the 109? Still afraid about the sibilance or highs? It needs time but it will get better by a lot.

Audeze their weights will crush my skull and neck for sure lol
Not necessarily. I haven't ruled it out, and will likely grab one eventually. It's on the list, just on the lower end.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #958 of 3,591
Meze sent me a pair for review (and I still need to finish the review of the Liric). It's only the first day, so I wont post impressions, but I did notice some nice, reflective surfaces created by the angled drivers. So, with whatever medical tape I had to hand (it has to be something with a cloth surface, even the basic plastic stuff) I did this:
IMG_7758.jpeg
I couldn't switch the pads quickly, as they seem to have separate parts (which will be unique for a pair of headphones like this) but it may have tamed a touch of edginess to the upper mids and treble.

It's possible the same tape mod that fixed the original MDR-R7 might be applicable for the 109s as well, but that would require opening up the cups and having a look inside to see if there are flat surfaces on the back of the driver housing that might benefit from being covered.
Re-posting this along with a recommendation for anyone buying them that they leave them playing music for a day (it should be enough) and, if the highs are still too bright, try my reversible mod above. You probably don't even have to remove the pads to add the tape, if it's too much of a PITA. Cut a 10cm arc from whatever cloth-backed tape you have to hand which has a maximum width of about 6mm. Report back if it helps or not. It could be that their peak matches the null in my hearing so they aren't so bright for me, but I tend to notice harshness more.
img_7761.jpg

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #959 of 3,591
I have the 99c with first pads and silver cable and loveeee them.
Someday I'm thinking to buy open back, can you tell the difference beside 99c and 109 pro. I listen 80s disco pop. Rock hard rock heavy metal, general can listen everything except opera
Dap Is shanling m6 pro 21

Oct 22, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #960 of 3,591
@Cuthbert 80
So I've had mine for 15 days now. Just approaching 360 hrs burn-in!

My pair have also appeared to have turned a little warmer but not too much. Hehe...yeah, they are definitely much different now to how they sounded compared to day one lol. Mainly...it's all the technicalities that have improved. The imaging, layering and separation is really quite stunning now.

There's just a ton of nuance in the bass/sub-bass region now which is delineated super smoothly in an effortless way.

Treble is just really refined and smoother now. These treble sensitive ears didn't have a major issue with it on day one despite the occasional glareyness. Now, it is just kinda sublime lol.

@CTR640 I think people shouldn't take what you say lightly when you described your 109 Pros bass as being "punchy and thumping"...if people are questioning how dynamic this headphone is...especially compared to Focals. Why you ask? Simply...you own a Klipsch Heritage HP-3...and I've heard that the bass on that thing hits REAL hard! :grin:
For you to speak favourably of the 109 Pros bass, considering you own an HP-3 says quite a lot imo, heh.
Don't get me wrong...in no way am I saying that the Meze is in basshead territory...all I'm saying is that with particular tracks...it's not too bass shy lol.

Anyone reading all my recent impressions of these cans thinking I'm just blindly gushing about them in an embarrasing manner, while I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" with my head in the clouds...make no mistake....I am under no illusion. It's a fact that you can find technically better headphones out there. I already mentioned that I wanted to purchase an Arya Stealth, for example, but I can't justify the price of them, not because of their current price but because of my current financial situation. While speaking of better headphones...let's not even begin mentioning the true "summit fi" options out in the wild...there is a LOT better out there than the Meze 109 Pro lol

My main point is...considering their price...you could do a lot friggin worse than the 109 Pros lol 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back