Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 20, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #421 of 3,591
I just need some comparison vs to OG clear and Clear MG, vs the 109 pro, before i pull the trigger on the meze. I currently have the hd800 which I found the most resolving headphone after owning the Utopia and adx5000. But i need a fun but still good technical headphone like the meze og clear or arya.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #423 of 3,591
@kundica Finally someone that pointem them to tube amp. Cayina HA-3A, WOW whata giant! Do you have any problems with adjusting volume? I mean isint it hard to adjust volume by a knob with Meze 109 on fully tube amp? They are 40 Ohms and quite sensitive, so thats my concerns.
I'm running them off the 4.4mm output on the HA-3A which is actually the lowest power output jack on the amp. It gets loud quite quickly but it's the same with everything I've tried on this amp(Atrium, Empyrean, Liric, HD650, 109, and several IEMs). I'm running XLR in from the DAC and read yesterday that using RCA might be preferred for the sake of volume adjustment. There shouldn't be any sound quality difference on the Cayin between RCA and XLR due to the design. In fact, RCA is the most direct path since the amp isn't actually balanced.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #424 of 3,591
Only slight downside would be bass. It's the weakest part of the v2 headphone though (unlike the SE, where it's the best).
What amplification do you use with HE1K, they are harder to drive than SE which can explain bass difference, which in my book is plentiful on HE1K, it's pretty much Harman target with slight drop in subbass, but yes, Monarch MK2 bass is boosted, perhaps too much, I wouldn't use them as a reference.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #427 of 3,591
@kundica How would you compare Meze 109 vs HD650 on this amp?
I need a lot more time with both on this amp before I can say. I only tested a few tracks with the 650s when I was cycling through the different outputs/impedance settings. I've only had it a few weeks and most of my listening on it before today was with the Atrium and Empy.

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #428 of 3,591
Was wondering if some thin foam inserts will help with taming down too hot treble and protecting exposed drivers.
I’m actually a bit worried about the exposed drivers…
All my headphones has some kind of dust cover.

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #429 of 3,591
I’m actually a bit worried about the exposed drivers…
All my headphones has some kind of dust cover.
Search for "grattle" on this forum, all it takes is one little hair piece to get through to start making driver buzzing. Not sure why they left it like that, to make it sound more detailed, may be the material of the driver is resistant to this sort of thing unlike typical mylar, but still all that dead skin, dust, and hairs ending on the driver is quite concerning?

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #433 of 3,591
Search for "grattle" on this forum, all it takes is one little hair piece to get through to start making driver buzzing. Not sure why they left it like that, to make it sound more detailed, may be the material of the driver is resistant to this sort of thing unlike typical mylar, but still all that dead skin, dust, and hairs ending on the driver is quite concerning?
They are open like that in Empyrean too. I read in an Empyrean review that Meze recommends that you put the headphone back in its case after every time you use them. Which is obviously laughable.

I'm gonna wait a year and pick 109 pro for 300 euro in classifieds.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #434 of 3,591
They are open like that in Empyrean too. I read in an Empyrean review that Meze recommends that you put the headphone back in its case after every time you use them. Which is obviously laughable.

I consider it highly unlikely to find any headphone at a 60% Discount After only 1 year.

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #435 of 3,591

Focal with similar metal grill cover is using thin transparent mesh for extra protection.
test-focal-clear-05.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back