Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 20, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #436 of 3,473
I just need some comparison vs to OG clear and Clear MG, vs the 109 pro, before i pull the trigger on the meze. I currently have the hd800 which I found the most resolving headphone after owning the Utopia and adx5000. But i need a fun but still good technical headphone like the meze og clear or arya.
From what I recall this weekend I prefer the Meze 109 Pro to the Clear MG. I was looking for an open back in this price range and these two are good to compare here.

I think the Meze 109 Pro is a little warmer. Has a little more bass. I think the Clear MG may be a little more resolving in particular upper mids to highs. I'd honestly have to test again side by side.

It's a bit of a coin toss really. At least to my ears.

Both are very excellent and I already own both Meze and Focal headphones. Closed back. I did not own open back from either camp here. Though Focal has a distinct house sound and I felt like I had enough of that, so that's another reason I went for the 109 Pro since it is different from the 99 Classics. I feel like it adds something that much different to my collection whereas the Clear may not have.

I think this is going to be 90%+ personal preference. These are definitely two fantastic headphones to compare though. I would honestly stick the Audeze MM-500 in this line up too. Each differ a little, so you'll want to choose the one that speaks to you. The 109 Pro having the added benefit of being cheaper...but if you hid all the prices from me and I listened to these blind. They are all in the same realm.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #438 of 3,473
Looks like Audio46 is already sold out of the 109 pros... So happy I got mine when I did lol.
Bloom audio has them (or did when I ordered the other day) or maybe email/call the source av. I think they aren't supposed to be out yet? Thought they launched in October?

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #440 of 3,473
Broom Audio
man-broom-cleaning-having-fun-home-housework-housekeeping-concept-indian-headphones-sweeping-153039841.jpg

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #442 of 3,473
Search for "grattle" on this forum, all it takes is one little hair piece to get through to start making driver buzzing. Not sure why they left it like that, to make it sound more detailed, may be the material of the driver is resistant to this sort of thing unlike typical mylar, but still all that dead skin, dust, and hairs ending on the driver is quite concerning?
Yeah... it looks like I'm not buying this one.

I remember one interview with the Dr. Fang of Hifiman saying that dust covers are a big part of an headphone design.

Sep 21, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #443 of 3,473

I remember one interview with the Dr. Fang of Hifiman saying that dust covers are a big part of an headphone design.
Same here, that is a huge design flaw, I can see a lot of problems with this in the future, Emperian has the same design and Meze recommends keeping the headphones in the case to keep dust away from the drivers, but how many will do that?

Sep 21, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #446 of 3,473
Same here, that is a huge design flaw, I can see a lot of problems with this in the future, Emperian has the same design and Meze recommends keeping the headphones in the case to keep dust away from the drivers, but how many will do that?
I actually cover all my headphone with a cloth when I'm not using them for more than a couple hours, except the R70x which it's purpose is to be always readily available when I'm working.

It's not the dust that really concerns me, but hairs and dead skin. Beside damaging it, how would it looks down there in 2 years?

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #447 of 3,473

I mean if anyone should know about what can go wrong and QC I guess, right?

I suppose if it's any issue, one could put something over them to protect them.

Sep 21, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #448 of 3,473
Interesting.... now I'm getting worried regarding this driver... I wouldn't imagine that Meze would release this product knowing the driver could become a QC issue down the line (especially given their reputation for overall build quality). I'd also love to hear from @Andykong about this as I have no intention in babysitting a product if this is an actual design flaw... I don't want to return these headphones but I may feel the need to if we don't get any kind of responses on this soon.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #449 of 3,473
You know a lot of speakers do not have a grill before them like the Kef LS50 or Bowers 800 or Harbeths from the high end series. I should not worry about the drivers of headphones. The focal headphones do not have the grill either, only a really small mesh between the driver and the ear. Just not use the meze after hair wash or after a work in the sever and all should be fine. i also use my modded hd650 with the driver exposed for 6 years and it is still like a new.... Also my Hd800S i removed the mesh i use it for 3 years and no problems... I owned the utopia too and the utopia does not have grills too...

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #450 of 3,473
I mean if anyone should know about what can go wrong and QC I guess, right?

I suppose if it's any issue, one could put something over them to protect them.
Yeah, but I don't think it's fair for customers to have do that, especially on a brand new product. Man, not going to lie, I'm pretty bummed out right now 😥. I absolutely LOVE these cans, but I don't want to take any chances with these, especially as these are still brand new and won't have any long term customer reviews for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back