Meze Audio 109 Pro
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #3,062 of 3,591
Well, have you tried the following closed back headphones,
which are also portable enough :

Fostex TH900
Sony MDR-Z1R
Dan Clark Audio Stealth (...this is the most priciest in the list)
What's a portable headphone? Compact size, light weight, foldable, good looking, easy to drive. Can you say these 3 fit the criteria?

Foster th900, owned before. To my ears too v shaped sounding. Already replaced with Stellia for home use.

mdr z1r, too much bass to my taste. Also extremely large size.

DCA Stealth, yes it's portable, But it is way too hard to drive.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #3,063 of 3,591
Nov 14, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #3,064 of 3,591
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,067 of 3,591
I am listening to the Meze 109 Pro headphones on my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. I know people are debating sound on here, but the Meze cans are sounding perfect to me now. 20231114_113826.jpg

Nov 14, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #3,068 of 3,591
That's for average consumer, not audiophiles. End game IEMs are also wired. They have regular headphone cable. Why not portable headphones?
“You can blame Apple for that and removing the 3.5mm socket”

This move by Apple is most likely why we now have a great choice of excellent, balanced USB dongle DAC/amps under $100 :)

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #3,069 of 3,591
“You can blame Apple for that and removing the 3.5mm socket”

This move by Apple is most likely why we now have a great choice of excellent, balanced USB dongle DAC/amps under $100 :)
Hey, earpods from Apple are wireless earphones. Why not u12t, odin? Those are also earphones but still have cable. Apple does not say earphones have to be wireless. In the hifi world, It's not about cables. It's all about sound. Wireless technology now still can't compete wired. Same can be applied on wired portable headphones. Why no companies is focusing on sound on portable headphones? End game IEMs sound almost as good as headphones for fraction of size. Why not portable wired headphones?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,070 of 3,591
Hey, earpods from Apple are wireless earphones. Why not u12t, odin? Those are also earphones but still have cable. Apple does not say earphones have to be wireless. In the hifi world, It's not about cables. It's all about sound. Wireless technology now still can't compete wired. Same can be applied on wired portable headphones. Why no companies is focusing on sound on portable headphones? End game IEMs sound almost as good as headphones for fraction of size. Why not portable wired headphones?
Since IEMs have gotten so popular in recent years and since there have been such huge technological advancements in that space that make them close in sound quality to over-ear headphones, I suspect many headphone manufacturers feel it wouldn't be worth the R&D costs and everything to make really good portable headphones. Probably makes more sense for them to stick with headphones for desktop use from a business perspective as long as IEMs continue to receive hype and have such a huge market share for portable use

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #3,072 of 3,591
Since IEMs have gotten so popular in recent years and since there have been such huge technological advancements in that space that make them close in sound quality to over-ear headphones, I suspect many headphone manufacturers feel it wouldn't be worth the R&D costs and everything to make really good portable headphones. Probably makes more sense for them to stick with headphones for desktop use from a business perspective as long as IEMs continue to receive hype and have such a huge market share for portable use
Good point.

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #3,073 of 3,591
Good point.
Although at the same time I know there's a lot of people who aren't a fan of sticking things in their ears so I'm sure there would be a market for really light and comfortable audiophile-grade wired over-ear headphones. I'm not at all an engineer but I would think that the advancements in the IEM space would mean that large advancements could also be made to make really impressive drivers that can perform well acoustically in a lightweight, comfortable closed back design

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #3,074 of 3,591
Although at the same time I know there's a lot of people who aren't a fan of sticking things in their ears so I'm sure there would be a market for really light and comfortable audiophile-grade wired over-ear headphones. I'm not at all an engineer but I would think that the advancements in the IEM space would mean that large advancements could also be made to make really impressive drivers that can perform well acoustically in a lightweight, comfortable closed back design
My ears get really gummed up with IEMs. That would be my market, headphones wise.

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #3,075 of 3,591
That's what the real problem is. No companies wants to invest more money on portable wired headphones. This market used to be pretty strong over IEMs. Oppo PM3, Sennheiser momentum 1st gen (which is the best momentum I have heard so far), Beoplay H6. The list goes on and on. They all look pretty and sound fantastic. Now this market is almost dead. Instead, IEMs are catching up so fast at almost a rocket speed. More new products coming out and sound almost as good as headphones. If wired portable headphones is continusly focusing on sound quality, it will not that bad today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back