Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #226 of 3,591
Advertisements are paid for by the advertiser, Meze in this case, and in most jurisdictions must be identified as such. It's a grave accusation to suggest that Meze paid for these (favorable) reviews - and it's entirely without proof. Instead these are just low-effort reviews by retailers who have an interest in selling these headphones and got them in time to have the review ready when the headphones were released. Read the reviews in this way and they do provide some insight. No need to unjustifiably accuse Meze of improper behavior. Better, more thorough reviews with comparisons take more time and will be coming no doubt...
This guy must have not done very well in the reading portion of the SAT. We never mentioned anything about meze paying for these reviews.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #227 of 3,591
Review out on the headphone show

Their FR looks a lot like an hifiman one… I’m so fuc**ed, I’m just in love with hifiman general house sound.

I know I’ll end up placing the order even if I should wait at least until December.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #228 of 3,591
Ordered. Look forward to giving it a whirl. Wins alone for design.

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #231 of 3,591
I'll be the first to say it: any review without a direct comparison to other products in it's price bracket is not a review. It's an advertisement.
I also usually don't trust reviews from headphone vendors, with the exception of headphones.com. Vendors' primary goal is to sell product, not objectively review those products.

Headphones.com is an exception because guys like Resolve and DMS were independent reviewers before they joined Headphones.com, and I have seen little to no change in their review style.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #234 of 3,591
Some of these early written reviews are atrocious. Not only do they not compare the levels of bass to the 99 Classics, which is the closest model in the Meze line price-wise, but this line from the conclusion of the Headphone Dungeon review is hilarious:

>>>Many headphones that shall remain unnamed put too much weight on hedonistic levels of face melting bass.<<<

You mean like Meze 99 Classics? They're fun cans. I enjoyed mine while I owned them. But they're also among the most bassy, blooming, bleeding headphones at their price point in audiophilia. Nobody wants to admit that in a review so far.

The Major HiFi review also is trash. Not a single comparison to another headphone at its price point or the 99 Classics despite this line in the opening paragraph:

>>>It’s priced at $799, putting it in line with the upper-tier mid-fi headphones like the Audeze LCD 2. Does the 109 Pro stand up to that measured quality?<<<

The review never answered that question. Well done.

Eager to watch Resolve and DMS' review and read/watch reviews from people who are objective and not superficial shills.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #235 of 3,591
Ordered, so it should be delivered tomorrow hopefully. I also ordered the copper cables, tho from Meze webstore because there seem no stores here that sells them except the silverplated upgrade cables. Pretty excited and it's been a year or more since my last headphone purchase!

Some of these early written reviews are atrocious. Not only do they not compare the levels of bass to the 99 Classics, which is the closest model in the Meze line price-wise, but this line from the conclusion of the Headphone Dungeon review is hilarious:

>>>Many headphones that shall remain unnamed put too much weight on hedonistic levels of face melting bass.<<<

You mean like Meze 99 Classics? They're fun cans. I enjoyed mine while I owned them. But they're also among the most bassy, blooming, bleeding headphones at their price point in audiophilia. Nobody wants to admit that in a review so far.

The Major HiFi review also is trash. Not a single comparison to another headphone at its price point or the 99 Classics despite this line in the opening paragraph:

>>>It’s priced at $799, putting it in line with the upper-tier mid-fi headphones like the Audeze LCD 2. Does the 109 Pro stand up to that measured quality?<<<

The review never answered that question. Well done.

Eager to watch Resolve and DMS' review and read/watch reviews from people who are objective and not superficial shills.
I never use/read reviews but the lines you quoted are indeed a bit too much, pretty much unprofessional too imho. Our ears will have to get used to the new sound first and one day at release date is not really a fair thing to write reviews at speed of light. Doesn't real headphone reviewers need atleast a week to get used to the new sound first before they can write review about it? Like the brain burn-in?

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #236 of 3,591
Ordered, so it should be delivered tomorrow hopefully. I also ordered the copper cables, tho from Meze webstore because there seem no stores here that sells them except the silverplated upgrade cables. Pretty excited and it's been a year or more since my last headphone purchase!

I never use/read reviews but the lines you quoted are indeed a bit too much, pretty much unprofessional too imho. Our ears will have to get used to the new sound first and one day at release date is not really a fair thing to write reviews at speed of light. Doesn't real headphone reviewers need atleast a week to get used to the new sound first before they can write review about it? Like the brain burn-in?
To be fair, it's possible they received their review units early. I reviewed video games 20 years ago and often received a copy of a new game a week before its retail release.

Also in fairness, I respect Antonio Meze's desire to tune his headphones for maximum enjoyment of music, not to satisfy measurement geeks. So, I fully expect the ASR crowd to SHRED the 109 Pro's even though I anticipate they will sound very good with many types of music. Meze emphasizes the experience, not the nitty-gritty of the frequency curve, which is cool.

I'm considering a purchase of these or the LCD-X 2021 in the near future. I was reading the thread about the LCD-X at ASR, and there were nearly two pages dedicated to debates of minute tweaks of bass shelves and other EQ matters. To each their own, but it was beyond tedious -- exhausting. :)

Eager for YOUR feedback on the 109s! :)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #237 of 3,591
To be fair, it's possible they received their review units early. I reviewed video games 20 years ago and often received a copy of a new game a week before its retail release.

Also in fairness, I respect Antonio Meze's desire to tune his headphones for maximum enjoyment of music, not to satisfy measurement geeks. So, I fully expect the ASR crowd to SHRED the 109 Pro's even though I anticipate they will sound very good with many types of music. Meze emphasizes the experience, not the nitty-gritty of the frequency curve, which is cool.

I'm considering a purchase of these or the LCD-X 2021 in the near future. I was reading the thread about the LCD-X at ASR, and there were nearly two pages dedicated to debates of minute tweaks of bass shelves and other EQ matters. To each their own, but it was beyond tedious -- exhausting. :)

Eager for YOUR feedback on the 109s! :)
Exactly! I've bought my headphones for one reason: enjoyment. I've never based them off of measurements and never will. My use case for my headphones are to be used for anything, wether be it for music, gaming, movies, for everything. There is no such thing as perfect headphone, any has their pros and cons but that's makes this hobby interesting.

I was reading the thread about the LCD-X at ASR, and there were nearly two pages dedicated to debates of minute tweaks of bass shelves and other EQ matters. To each their own, but it was beyond tedious -- exhausting.
Damn, that's truely pointless, like what the hell?!

I'll definitely place my feedback!

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #238 of 3,591
In this thread I learned:

• The 109 is a Buick
  • The 109 unboxing experience is underwhelming
  • The 109 is an open back 99 classics
  • The 109 reviews are adverts

Glad I spent my time catching up on things.

tenor.gif

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #239 of 3,591

• The 109 is a Buick

tenor.gif
No, the 109 Pro is a Triumph because it has two wheels (earcups). If it had four earcups, then yes, it's a Buick.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #240 of 3,591

• The 109 is a Buick

Don't forget your history lesson on how the name '109' came about.

Hope I get to snag one up on at CANJAM on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back