Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jun 5, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #2,371 of 3,500
Well, I ended up not listening to them before buying, because that would not be easy here where I live - Porto/Portugal.
I hope i won’t regret it 😉
I did the same and I won't regret! I believe that if I had listen before, there was a good chance not to buy... because my first impressions were strange and not consistent, but with some burn-in hours (close to 50h), it sounds great and everyday better, I think I am settling here too :)

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #2,373 of 3,500
Finally my Meze 109 Pro burned in and it’s sounds so fantastic now .
it’s in all categories better than the Philips Fidelio X3 only the stage is a little bit better (feels opener) on the X3
but ,deep bass ,mid bass ,heights,mids ,and clarity it’s all better on the 109 pro.
sometimes I think I hear a planar headphon,it’s absolutely fantastic for a dynamic driver.
oh and the comfort is in my opinion better on the X3 ,I love the big earcups of the X3.
i can wear the X3 all day long with now warm ears or pain,with the 109 pro I get warm ears and after hours a little pain.
But I say the X3 is a fantastic headphone too ,for the price and i will allways love the X3 too.
169€ is a steal,in my opinion the X3 plays in a 400-500€ league.
I was thinking to bring back the 109 pro but now I love him so much,I’m very happy now.
How much time did it take?

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,376 of 3,500
The 109 Pros have my favorite tuning of any headphone I've tried. Does anyone know of IEMs that are very similar?
Have a look at the Dunu SA6 MK2, I have both the 109 Pro and Dunu’s and both “made me smile”, this was what I was looking for!

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2,377 of 3,500
The 109 Pros have my favorite tuning of any headphone I've tried. Does anyone know of IEMs that are very similar?
I am interested about the same thing. Anyone else, any other alternatives?

@DrewVz which one of your IEMs sounds closest to the 109 Pro?

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,378 of 3,500
I am interested about the same thing. Anyone else, any other alternatives?

@DrewVz which one of your IEMs sounds closest to the 109 Pro?
Funny thing is that Meze's Advar actually had the most similar tuning. But their lower levels of bass/subbass didn't suit my music library very well. But they were really nice IEMs.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,379 of 3,500
Funny thing is that Meze's Advar actually had the most similar tuning. But their lower levels of bass/subbass didn't suit my music library very well. But they were really nice IEMs.
Advar is not too far off, but the 109pro sounds airier and cleaner. (I really like the sweet sound of the Advar though.) The 109pro might be closer to the Rai Penta technically, but tonally it is closer to the Advar.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,380 of 3,500
Advar is not too far off, but the 109pro sounds airier and cleaner. (I really like the sweet sound of the Advar though.) The 109pro might be closer to the Rai Penta technically, but tonally it is closer to the Advar.
I have never listened to the Advar and was thinking just today about how similar it is to the 109 Pro. Would it be redundant to get the Advar (I own the 109 Pro) even though one is in-ear and the other headphones?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,381 of 3,500
I have never listened to the Advar and was thinking just today about how similar it is to the 109 Pro. Would it be redundant to get the Advar even though one is in-ear and the other headphones?
Depends on you usage scenario I guess. Comparing IEMs and open-back headphones is a bit like comparing pears and apples. I actually try to avoid such comparisons as usage is so different. Yet, sound is sound and so they should be comparable to some extent.

If you want some in-ears for travelling or quiet listening the Advar is a pleasant choice. If you can use your 109Pro all the time buying the Advar is probably unnecessary.

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #2,382 of 3,500
Depends on you usage scenario I guess. Comparing IEMs and open-back headphones is a bit like comparing pears and apples. I actually try to avoid such comparisons as usage is so different. Yet, sound is sound and so they should be comparable to some extent.

If you want some in-ears for travelling or quiet listening the Advar is a pleasant choice. If you can use your 109Pro all the time buying the Advar is probably unnecessary.
I have a number of iems, and I listen to the 109 Pros frequently. I was purely thinking in terms of sound quality.

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #2,383 of 3,500
I have a number of iems, and I listen to the 109 Pros frequently. I was purely thinking in terms of sound quality.
Advar is warmer, thicker and smoother but sweet and plenty fun. 109pro is still relatively warm but the treble has brighter peaks. 109pro also sounds a bit thinner and therefore cleaner/slightly more detailed in comparison. The 109pro sounds much airier and more spacious being an open-back headphone versus the sweet little gem in-ear-monitor Advar.

Jun 7, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #2,384 of 3,500
Can the bass/sub-bass get corrected with another cable and especially with other tips, you think? Have you tried other tips? @betula , what is your opinion?

iFi GO Pod has a bundle with the Advar, I am considering it...

My usage scenario: to carry the sound of the 109 Pro, which I absolutely adore, outdoors.

PS: @DrewVz , how is the soundstage and bass/sub-bass of the Advar compared to IMR, let's say the Elan+, what do you think?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #2,385 of 3,500
Can the bass/sub-bass get corrected with another cable and especially with other tips, you think? Have you tried other tips? @betula , what is your opinion?

iFi GO Pod has a bundle with the Advar, I am considering it...

My usage scenario: to carry the sound of the 109 Pro, which I absolutely adore, outdoors.
In my opinion and to my experience the general sound of IEMs and headphones can only be tuned by 10-20% by cables and tips/earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back