Meze Audio 109 Pro
Mar 23, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #2,101 of 3,533
I don't consider that contradicting at all.
I was referring to endgame, strong, statements. Personal, subjective, preferences from people who use their native language, masterfully, I can do the same in my native language, not so much in English.

Anyway, enough derailing from me, I just have to apply my own rule above, over and out. :)

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,102 of 3,533
Crazy question, but did anybody have the chance to compare the Meze 109 Pro with the Spirit Torino Pulsar? (Maybe at canjam(
hi,
the question is somewhat strange, however I try to tell you an answer. I have had the Valkyria for two years, and I sold it here on headfi, before that I also had the Twin Pulse Ragnarr Torino Limited, and now out of curiosity I got the Meze 109pro, but in the past I also had the Meze Empyrean. Then, the Spirit Torino sound is unique, because it is a very organic sound of great depth with unique resonances, they are headphones that are better with medium-high volumes, because they are without any distortion and with medium-high volumes they give their best. The Meze 109pro have something in common, from the middle down they have that nice organic presentation which is very nice, but they also offer some clarity to the top end, I use a Meze Copper PCUHD cable which seems very synergistic to me. You might think that the MEze 109pro put like this are better, in reality the driver, which is a double driver, has less distortion and a greater dynamic range, while the Meze, having reached a certain point, begins to present a compressed sound. The Meze provides the maximum expression with a tube amp with 2a3 power tubes, in these conditions the Meze is fantastic, as a second amp I use a Sparkos Labs Aries which, although excellent, fails to extract all the potential from the MEze.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,103 of 3,533
.....with the meze109 pro i use this 2a3 megahertz.
I think that even a 300b or something similar, can make the full potential of the 109pro, ok for the solid stage, but with the tubes you fly....:gs1000smile::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket:

Attachments

• 2a3.jpeg
    2a3.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2,104 of 3,533
TBH I can't really take seriously any YT reviewers anymore. They all spread their personal taste as the gospel of truth.
Maybe 1 out of 5 reviewers still attempt to reach some level of objectivism, but most of them portray their personal taste as the ideal target for everyone else.
The sad thing is masses are still following them instead of simply listening to their own ears.
Indeed. I put the 109's on my shortlist because of YT (and other) reviewers (as I'm sure most of us do) and was subsequently disappointed when I finally got to hear them. They are obviously like by many but are not for me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #2,105 of 3,533
hi,
the question is somewhat strange, however I try to tell you an answer. I have had the Valkyria for two years, and I sold it here on headfi, before that I also had the Twin Pulse Ragnarr Torino Limited, and now out of curiosity I got the Meze 109pro, but in the past I also had the Meze Empyrean. Then, the Spirit Torino sound is unique, because it is a very organic sound of great depth with unique resonances, they are headphones that are better with medium-high volumes, because they are without any distortion and with medium-high volumes they give their best. The Meze 109pro have something in common, from the middle down they have that nice organic presentation which is very nice, but they also offer some clarity to the top end, I use a Meze Copper PCUHD cable which seems very synergistic to me. You might think that the MEze 109pro put like this are better, in reality the driver, which is a double driver, has less distortion and a greater dynamic range, while the Meze, having reached a certain point, begins to present a compressed sound. The Meze provides the maximum expression with a tube amp with 2a3 power tubes, in these conditions the Meze is fantastic, as a second amp I use a Sparkos Labs Aries which, although excellent, fails to extract all the potential from the MEze.
Thx for the input.

The Spirit Torino Pulsar/Valkyria are known for their insane macrodynamics and tonal weight.
How does the 109Pro compare in those disciplines?

I'd expect the Spirit Torinos to win in terms of detail and technicalities but those are not the most important attributes for me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #2,106 of 3,533
.....with the meze109 pro i use this 2a3 megahertz.
I think that even a 300b or something similar, can make the full potential of the 109pro, ok for the solid stage, but with the tubes you fly....:gs1000smile::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket:
about solid state i use with gardenlabs afn with really good result. you know this amplifier? ahahahahahah

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #2,107 of 3,533
I watched maybe 4 or 5 of his reviews. He seems to hate pretty much everything.
Agree. I liked Oluv when I first started watching him because I thought he wasn't on the take. But yeah, like others have said, the only headphones he likes are those that he has tuned or tuned in a collaboration. He's the anti-Zeos, who seems to like everything because he wants Amazon affiliate sales.

There is one exception I can recall to Oluv's hate: He LOVED the Focal Elex. But he had three pairs crap out on him, so he ended up defecating all over the headphone. Guess I can't blame him on that one.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,109 of 3,533
Finally, I'd like to underline that I am not referring to the Meze 109 Pro, which I consider among the most successful purchases I've ever made, and certainly by far the best headphone in my modest collection. It is not my aim/goal to collect IEMs / Headphones. My aim/goal is to find something I will genuinely like and keep it. The Meze 109 Pro is definitely one of them,
Yep. That's how I feel, too. My father and friends always ask, "Why the hell do you always buy new headphones?"

Well, it's because I'm searching for a Goldilocks or three. After a few years in this hobby, I've sampled enough sound signatures across the spectrum to know what I like. Now I'm just trying to find the cans within my budget that best bring me the sound I want from various signatures. For example:

Slightly warm, great mids can: HD 6XX. They're going nowhere.
Well-balanced, reference, expressive can: LCD-X 2021. My favorite. They're not going anywhere any time soon until I hear something I like more in the same price range.

Next step for me is a Grado. I tried a pair of 325x in a shop last summer and was stunned how much I liked them even though a lot of people detest the "Grado sound." So, that may be my next purchase, as it certainly has a signature that's MUCH different from the 6XX and LCD-X.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2,110 of 3,533
I was referring to endgame, strong, statements. Personal, subjective, preferences from people who use their native language, masterfully, I can do the same in my native language, not so much in English.

Anyway, enough derailing from me, I just have to apply my own rule above, over and out. :)
Hey, sincere compliments to all of you cats who post here in English as not your native tongue. Like most Americans, I know one language: English.

I admire the hell out of people who are fluent or have some degree of fluency in another language besides their native tongue and are willing to use it in public. Well done!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #2,111 of 3,533
Yep. That's how I feel, too. My father and friends always ask, "Why the hell do you always buy new headphones?"

Well, it's because I'm searching for a Goldilocks or three. After a few years in this hobby, I've sampled enough sound signatures across the spectrum to know what I like. Now I'm just trying to find the cans within my budget that best bring me the sound I want from various signatures. For example:

Slightly warm, great mids can: HD 6XX. They're going nowhere.
Well-balanced, reference, expressive can: LCD-X 2021. My favorite. They're not going anywhere any time soon until I hear something I like more in the same price range.

Next step for me is a Grado. I tried a pair of 325x in a shop last summer and was stunned how much I liked them even though a lot of people detest the "Grado sound." So, that may be my next purchase, as it certainly has a signature that's MUCH different from the 6XX and LCD-X.
When I got my Meze 109 I sold my Grados (325i and 325x). The Meze has that the up front vocals (mids) that the Grados offer, just as clear, nice soundstage and imaging. However the Meze are better down in the bass and MUCH more comfortable.

However, my LCD-XC (2019) are still my reference phones.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #2,112 of 3,533
Audition booked for Saturday. Finally I will be able to find out myself if the 109Pro really is the world's best headphone which simply puts the Meze Elite and other flagships to shame as some very vocal and enthusiastic members here state. As a bonus I will audition the Quad Era-1 as well, which I know is very much loved by some members and price-wise is a direct competitor to the 109Pro.
Good idea to audition, however you need to be sure the 109s are broken in before you try them. They sound quite different after about 50 hours of use (especially in the treble region).

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,113 of 3,533
Thx for the input.

The Spirit Torino Pulsar/Valkyria are known for their insane macrodynamics and tonal weight.
How does the 109Pro compare in those disciplines?

I'd expect the Spirit Torinos to win in terms of detail and technicalities but those are not the most important attributes for me.
overall the Mezes do not disfigure, it remains very pleasant for a 360 degree listening

Mar 23, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #2,115 of 3,533
Yes, this is how we are. Some of us are using their mother tongue quite "efficiently". You see them praising, worshiping and cherishing headphones and IEMs with strong language and statements. And, after a couple of months, they are starting selling them on the classifieds, with a short phrase about how sorry they feel parting with them. I am not speaking my mother tongue now but I wish I could understand this language better.
Some of us even attempt to write reviews in English every now and then. :wink:
I also can't really see an issue with selling beloved/praised equipment after a few months. There can be many reasons for doing so. New products come out every month, many people can't afford just to pile up expensive gear. Auditioning is not available for everyone. You might love something today, but come across something even better sounding tomorrow. Also, if someone buys second-hand, financial loss is negligible if present at all.

I for example sold my Final D8000 after 6 months of ownership in January 2022 and did praise them a lot. My opinion on them hasn't changed. I still think they sound awesome. I just started to enjoy the (back then) new Meze Elite more as they fit my personal taste a little better (loving them to date btw). I couldn't afford keeping both headphones, so the Final had to go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back