Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Apr 8, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #496 of 511
Are the Meze Advar still relevant these days? I am looking for smooth-sounding IEMs to replace my current setup for office use: Shanling UA5 - Lavricables Master - Sennheiser IE900, still using the same dongle DAC/AMP. In addition to the Meze Advar, I have also come across the following: Meze Rai Penta (discontinued) v Softears Twilight (also a single DD) v Aur Audio Ascension (neutral-warm (W) midrange focused).

Long story short, I enjoy my current setup very much, but am on the fence of getting another IE900 or another IEMs like the Advar. I currently enjoy pairing the IE900 with Cayin RU-6 and Eletech Raphael, Cayin N7 and custom silver-copper hybrid, and Shanling UA5 and Lavricables Master. Changing the cables each single time are making the recessed MMCX loose overtime, so thinking better just to get another and not have to worry.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #497 of 511
The Rai Pentas are quite an improvement over Advars. I was able to get a spare pair at just a little over the cost of Advars because the dealer wanted to get rid of discontinued stock. You might find a deal like that?

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #498 of 511
There is an upcoming budget single DD (10.8 mm) from Meze, called the Alba. This made its debut at the recent Singapore Can Jam.

Meze Alba 2.jpg

While we frequently associate the word ALBA with "white", this ALBA word actually signifies "DAWN", from speaking to the tuner Vlad, who was at the booth.

This IEM sounds very balanced, U-shaped sonics, with above average technicalities. Safely tuned with no harshness in the pinna gain area or treble. Bass is speedy with solid texturing, with moderate sub-bass extension. The timbre is excellent, as expected of a single DD transducer.

Meze Alba 1.jpg

Included inside the packaging is a hi-res Tidal compatible dongle, should you wish to stream or connect it to a phone.

Meze Alba 3.jpg

I think it will retail around $100 - 200 USD, which is certainly a competitive pricing from what I heard.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #499 of 511
There is an upcoming budget single DD (10.8 mm) from Meze, called the Alba. This made its debut at the recent Singapore Can Jam.

Meze Alba 2.jpg

While we frequently associate the word ALBA with "white", this ALBA word actually signifies "DAWN", from speaking to the tuner Vlad, who was at the booth.

This IEM sounds very balanced, U-shaped sonics, with above average technicalities. Safely tuned with no harshness in the pinna gain area or treble. Bass is speedy with solid texturing, with moderate sub-bass extension. The timbre is excellent, as expected of a single DD transducer.

Meze Alba 1.jpg

Included inside the packaging is a hi-res Tidal compatible dongle, should you wish to stream or connect it to a phone.

Meze Alba 3.jpg

I think it will retail around $100 - 200 USD, which is certainly a competitive pricing from what I heard.

This certainly grabs my attention...

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #500 of 511
Are the Meze Advar still relevant these days? I am looking for smooth-sounding IEMs to replace my current setup for office use: Shanling UA5 - Lavricables Master - Sennheiser IE900, still using the same dongle DAC/AMP. In addition to the Meze Advar, I have also come across the following: Meze Rai Penta (discontinued) v Softears Twilight (also a single DD) v Aur Audio Ascension (neutral-warm (W) midrange focused).

Long story short, I enjoy my current setup very much, but am on the fence of getting another IE900 or another IEMs like the Advar. I currently enjoy pairing the IE900 with Cayin RU-6 and Eletech Raphael, Cayin N7 and custom silver-copper hybrid, and Shanling UA5 and Lavricables Master. Changing the cables each single time are making the recessed MMCX loose overtime, so thinking better just to get another and not have to worry.
Advar does not have the sweet highs of IE900. I find them always lacking in this department when listening to them soon after IE900. Otherwise a fine set, but expensive by today's standards. Sound wise, I find the Simgot EA1000 very good value for money. But they come with 2 pin connectors.
Have you thought about buying some adapters, this way you won't mess with the MMCX on the IE900?

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #501 of 511
In my opinion the Advar is still relevant in 2024, although overpriced as just about all Meze headphones. I wouldn't call it smooth, though. I have both the Advar and 109 pro and find them quite similar. Very good staging and bass but perhaps more mid bass than sub-bass (I can't say as my music genres have no sub-bass). The star of the show are the mids, they do vocals exceptionally well but if there is sibilance they won't smooth it out. Same can be said for the 109 pro. If someone loves the 109 pro, the Advar gets you a similar frequency response in an IEM form factor.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #502 of 511
In my opinion the Advar is still relevant in 2024, although overpriced as just about all Meze headphones. I wouldn't call it smooth, though. I have both the Advar and 109 pro and find them quite similar. Very good staging and bass but perhaps more mid bass than sub-bass (I can't say as my music genres have no sub-bass). The star of the show are the mids, they do vocals exceptionally well but if there is sibilance they won't smooth it out. Same can be said for the 109 pro. If someone loves the 109 pro, the Apdvar gets you a similar frequency response in an IEM form factor.
If you consider meze overpriced I wonder which headphone is fairly priced in your opinion

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #503 of 511
Well, if I would go for +/- 1k IEM it would be Spirit Torino Twin Pulse that outresolves things like Monarchs and has arguably much better tuning. It’s very fairly priced imho. Advar is simply in a different league. It’s a beautifully build and designed iem but sonically it’s rather far behind the completion in the same price class.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #504 of 511
Well, if I would go for +/- 1k IEM it would be Spirit Torino Twin Pulse that outresolves things like Monarchs and has arguably much better tuning. It’s very fairly priced imho. Advar is simply in a different league. It’s a beautifully build and designed iem but sonically it’s rather far behind the completion in the same price class.
Thx for the hint, have to add these IEMs to my audition list

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #505 of 511
Absolutely great for their price and they easily compete with 2k+ stuff. You have 14 days of money back gurantee with Spirit Torino in EU, so very easy to try out.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #506 of 511
If you consider meze overpriced I wonder which headphone is fairly priced in your opinion
Hidizs MP145 to say one. Or Letshuoer S12 pro priced at less than 1/3 of the Meze and probably preferred by listeners of electronica.
Or the Moondrop Aria, sweet performer priced at 1/10 of the Advar. Even the IE200 is fairly priced.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #507 of 511
Let's not forget the Campfire Audio Cascara, available for around 600 E from shops in Germany, usually with good return policy. Elysian Pilgrim will be reasonably priced as well, and those who listened to it at CanJam seem to have enjoyed it.
Dita Project-M is another giant killer at 420 E. It's an astonishing set, easily competing with sets in the 4 digits price range. I got mine from Headonist and it's the one I listen to the most nowadays.
Sennheiser IE600 goes for around 400-500 E, available from many shops. Haven't heard it, but it's meant to be good. (I wouldn't bother with IE200, unless you want something really cheap).
We are really spoiled for options, the only problem is finding your preferred sound signature and the right fit.

May 5, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #508 of 511

Meze Alba 2.jpg

Meze Alba 1.jpg

Meze Alba 3.jpg

Does anyone knows if alba is similar to advar? same sounding? technicalities?, thanks

May 6, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #509 of 511
Does anyone knows if alba is similar to advar? same sounding? technicalities?, thanks

Alba is much more sedate in the treble than the Advar. Advar has a 6 kHz region big spike that may be fatiguing/sibilant for some users.

However, Advar is more technical for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back