Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #421 of 507
Make sure you have a good seal - maybe try the next size up, I find them to be really picky with tips as well and only really like the final e and spinfit W1 on mine.
Nice one. I had been trying them with Symbio F foam which were quite small. I switched back to the Final E largest tips and they sound a hell of a lot better. Coincidentally I am using the Advars with the Fiio UTWS5 Bluetooth DAC/Amp which arrived this morning and the sound is impressive.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #422 of 507
Holy crap, my earphones are back from Romania in the same bubble wrapping and Dekoni Audio nuggets plastic box I sent them in.
Thank you Meze Audio for your outstanding response to my warranty issue. You have a repeat customer for life or at least until you do something to piss me off.
Most importantly, I’m back to listening to this most delightful of musical experiences.
Listening to an album I know well and boy they just sound sooooo good.
76A1E281-0E70-4B30-A6D5-05974414975C.jpeg

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #423 of 507
I know these have a reputation for being heavy on the treble, but I'm finding these IEM's impossibly bright and trebley, no matter how much I reduce the treble on my Mojo 2. There is literally no beefiness to the sound at all, I've heard earphones that come free with mobile phones that don't sound much worse. I'm actually thinking I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps I'm not getting a good seal, but there doesn't seem to be much room for movement in the ear canal, I'm certainly not going to force them in.
Anybody else find this and managed to overcome?
Are you using the stock cable?
My first audition was with that cable and I found Advar extremely annoying on the treble side.
I had a much better experience with a balanced one.

May 24, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #425 of 507
A bit late to the party but I finally found time to listen to Meze Advar with ifi micro Signature and those are IEMs that made ifi dac really shine. For me those have beaten even full size cans including Empys. Empys are brilliant cans with better dac/amp setups but ifi micro Signature will not give you all the joy one could get from them.

For me it seems Advars are just right and hit the sweet spot.

I need to listen to them with Chord Mojo 2 finally.

May 24, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #426 of 507
A bit late to the party but I finally found time to listen to Meze Advar with ifi micro Signature and those are IEMs that made ifi dac really shine. For me those have beaten even full size cans including Empys. Empys are brilliant cans with better dac/amp setups but ifi micro Signature will not give you all the joy one could get from them.

Can't test the Advars with the ifi Signature, but with the Mojo 2 they sound terrific. Also better performance wired to the Mojo 2 vs using them with the Fiio UTWS5 adapter, really beefy sound especially with electronic music. If you like Underworld give King of Snake a blast on the Advars with the Mojo 2, sensational.

May 25, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #427 of 507
IMG_2222.jpeg

Hi everyone, here are some brief impressions from the second day with Advar.

Some cons first:
  • The isolation is less than what I expected. When I caught a bus and took a walk today with this IEM, I did not hear much noise reduction. There was a bit, but not as much as usual IEMs. The isolation level is perhaps close to my E5000 with Final Type E tips.
  • Side-effect of the first issue: I needed to turn up the volume to compensate for the loss of bass and lower midrange. I did not know that I pushed the volume around 15 notches higher than my usual listening level, which is quite a bit. At this volume, the 8k treble becomes extremely spicy. I winced every time there was cymbal splash.
  • The 8k peak pushes some recording to breaking point. For example, Grenade (studio version) by Bruno Mars from the original album is almost unlistenable (to me) as Advar highlights all imperfections and sandy tone in his voice out.
  • Violin can be a bit brighter than usual. Not quite unnatural, but close.
Despite these cons, I still have a great time with this IEM:
  • Dynamic contrast is excellent. Goldberg Variations sound breathtaking on this IEM due to the way it handles the transition between loud and soft.
  • Soundstage is quite epic.
I think this is the closest to "Andromeda with bass" that I have ever heard.
Hello, this is not a HiBy RS2?)

May 25, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #428 of 507
May 26, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #429 of 507

Eagerly awaiting your comments on the pairing with the Mojo2.

Can't test the Advars with the ifi Signature, but with the Mojo 2 they sound terrific. Also better performance wired to the Mojo 2 vs using them with the Fiio UTWS5 adapter, really beefy sound especially with electronic music. If you like Underworld give King of Snake a blast on the Advars with the Mojo 2, sensational.

The DAC I own is the THX Onyx but I’ve been desiring for the Mojo2. They sound great by themselves and even more musical through the Onyx. If the Mojo2 makes them shine even more, this is very interesting.

Jun 22, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #430 of 507
Looking for a good IEM for a longer trip and got an offer for Avdar - 400 EUR, which seem good. Now I dont quite know what to expect of them.

I am very much a fan of ZMF tuning, would Avdar be something I may enjoy? Appreciate any advice.

Jun 22, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #431 of 507
Looking for a good IEM for a longer trip and got an offer for Avdar - 400 EUR, which seem good. Now I dont quite know what to expect of them.

I am very much a fan of ZMF tuning, would Avdar be something I may enjoy? Appreciate any advice.
The Advar is a great option if you like a tastfully elavated engaging (mid-)bass so they might lean more to the Empyrean tuning than the Elite (maybe your reference from Meze). Even without a 'ZMF tuning' they might be the right choice for you as an IEM usually has a little different target use-case (and environment in which you listen to them).
At that price you will not find much that is better (even among full-sized headphones)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #433 of 507
Pulled the trigger :)

Will be interesting to compare them with ZMF stuff and Elite on higher end desktop holo rig. Any advices for affordable dongle dac that does them justice to run them from an iphone?

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #434 of 507

Will be interesting to compare them with ZMF stuff and Elite on higher end desktop holo rig. Any advices for affordable dongle dac that does them justice to run them from an iphone?
The Cayin Ru6 and Ru7 are both worthy dongle DACs.

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #435 of 507

@Leto Dal congrats on purchase :)

Not a dongle but still quite fine for travel and great SQ would be Mojo 2. Ifi micro iDSD Siganture has been also great pairing with those IEMs but it maybe too large for your purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back