Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Sep 23, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #332 of 507
What are the owners pairing their Advar’s with?
For me the super clean ROG Clavis USB dongle has some really nice synergy with the Advar. It drives it to more than sufficient volume level and sounds dead quiet with good sources of music.

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #334 of 507
For me the super clean ROG Clavis USB dongle has some really nice synergy with the Advar. It drives it to more than sufficient volume level and sounds dead quiet with good sources of music.
Mainly Mojo2 and Walkman ZX507 for me.

I do you use them with the Apple dongle as well but prefer the other two.

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #335 of 507
N8ii for me. The reference presentation of the N8ii pairs well with the warm leaning presentation of the Advar. Lot's of synergy there!

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #336 of 507
New owner here, I never thought I'd get back in the game of iems after successive failed impulse purchases over the years...

Only contenders were the Senns IE600 and Sony ier-m9 because of tonal preference and/or anatomy (small ears / small ear canal so triple bore and other large iems just don't fit me).

What I liked the most about the advar are the dynamics / liveliness (most multi-BA sounded dynamically compressed in comparison), the tonal balance right along my alley (except for the worrying treble peak initially), the fact I could drive it from iphone dongle, the fit (right size and weight for me) and finally, the look which I really got into.

Now, that was a skeptical listen at first (I've honestly not been a fan of Meze full size headphones voicing previously, finding them too warm / inoffensive and sucking the fun away from any music). But sales person (at e-earphone store in Tokyo, fantastic store by the way, really helpful staff, huge selection including any eartip trial etc) suggested me to try the advar.

I went a few times to the store to confirm this wasn't just another of these impulse decisions, read reviews and comparisons here (been really helpful btw), checking alternatives and systematically going back to the advar. Finally today, I spent a bunch of time going through eartips recommended in this thread and associated reviews as I was initially a bit concerned about the so called "spicy treble".

Coming from the stock S tipe, I tried SpinFit W1 S size (liked) > Sedna Earfit Xelastec S size (no good for me) > Acoustune AET8 S size (no good for me) > Acoustune AET7 S size (loose fit) > M size (liked) > SpinFit CP100+ S size (liked best) > SpinFit CP360 (I think) S size (no good for me) > Symbio type F (almost liked but too much treble cut) > SpinFit CP100+ M size (no good for me).

I eventually zoned in with the SpinFit CP100+ S size and stock tips (S size). Actually, with proper insertion, I eventually had no issue with the stock tips which made the sale and I also got SpinFit for just in case...

At the end of the day, I realized how personal impressions are with iems and how critical tips are (I sort of knew it but never had spent the time to investigate it...).

Again a thank you to all contributors here!

cheers,
arnaud

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #337 of 507
Sep 24, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #338 of 507
I like to drive Advar with a clear-sounding source like Hidizs AP80 Pro X and Fiio KA3. KA3 is a bit more preferable, sonic-wise, but the DAP wins in convenience. To be fair, I did not notice much difference, unless A/B carefully.

New owner here, I never thought I'd get back in the game of iems after successive failed impulse purchases over the years...

At the end of the day, I realized how personal impressions are with iems and how critical tips are (I sort of knew it but never had spent the time to investigate it...).

cheers,
arnaud

Congrats on your purchase!

One of the reviewers here. For me, the treble issue is something that I think I should bring up in the review, just in case. I have no problem with treble with most of my library. Songs that are harsh with Advar are usually harsh with others as well. However, mid-treble is a bit more forward than usual, so some genres might become troublesome.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #339 of 507
One of the reviewers here. For me, the treble issue is something that I think I should bring up in the review, just in case. I have no problem with treble with most of my library. Songs that are harsh with Advar are usually harsh with others as well. However, mid-treble is a bit more forward than usual, so some genres might become troublesome.
Yep, I recall reading your review and nodding on your suggesting to maybe shave a couple of dB off the advar's treble :).

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #340 of 507

Only contenders were the Senns IE600 and Sony ier-m9 because of tonal preference and/or anatomy (small ears / small ear canal so triple bore and other large iems just don't fit me).

What I liked the most about the advar are the dynamics / liveliness (most multi-BA sounded dynamically compressed in comparison), the tonal balance right along my alley (except for the worrying treble peak initially), the fact I could drive it from iphone dongle, the fit (right size and weight for me) and finally, the look which I really got into.

Now, that was a skeptical listen at first (I've honestly not been a fan of Meze full size headphones voicing previously, finding them too warm / inoffensive and sucking the fun away from any music). But sales person (at e-earphone store in Tokyo, fantastic store by the way, really helpful staff, huge selection including any eartip trial etc) suggested me to try the advar.

I went a few times to the store to confirm this wasn't just another of these impulse decisions, read reviews and comparisons here (been really helpful btw), checking alternatives and systematically going back to the advar. Finally today, I spent a bunch of time going through eartips recommended in this thread and associated reviews as I was initially a bit concerned about the so called "spicy treble".

Coming from the stock S tipe, I tried SpinFit W1 S size (liked) > Sedna Earfit Xelastec S size (no good for me) > Acoustune AET8 S size (no good for me) > Acoustune AET7 S size (loose fit) > M size (liked) > SpinFit CP100+ S size (liked best) > SpinFit CP360 (I think) S size (no good for me) > Symbio type F (almost liked but too much treble cut) > SpinFit CP100+ M size (no good for me).

I eventually zoned in with the SpinFit CP100+ S size and stock tips (S size). Actually, with proper insertion, I eventually had no issue with the stock tips which made the sale and I also got SpinFit for just in case...

cheers,
arnaud
if you enjoy the advar then for sure youll enjoy the new 109 pro Hp cause they have similar sound

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #341 of 507
I forgot to mention about the isolation! Actually I wanted on purpose some earphone that don’t isolate too much from outside and these do just about the right amount. I also disliked the occlusion feeling with some models I tested (the sony or at least the ie600 had that, that’s another plus for the advar in my book.

This isn’t safe thing to recommend (nor can it be too good for the earphones) but I’m taking these on a bicycle ride today and have been smiling all along. Amazing to be able to get so close to home speaker experience while going around, something I had given up with iems years ago.

Kudos again to Meze, what a pleasant come back to headphone for me :)

Arnaud

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #342 of 507
After several days swapping around with the stock tips, I seem to be settling toward the SpinFit CP100+ S size as it tames the treble just about right and the bass emphasis is exactly what the doctor prescribed to cover up ambient noise.

Been using them for running and walking, the later is probably the best use of these iems.

To those who’ve dismissed the advar as a treble machine, you ought to give it a chance again with different tips. For me, inserting as deep as possible using right size tip made a large difference on the tonal balance.

Still amazed with the speed of these iems, really makes for a fun listening, the voices / midrange is as good as it gets, the headstage is wide / deep enough to sound convincing without 3 blob effect.

Hope the new toy syndrome doesn’t wear off anytime soon ;-p

Arnaud

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #343 of 507
I’m still fighting a bit with ear tips as I tend to loose the seal when using these exercising. I think there’s no magic bullet here and I’d say these are good for cycling or walking but running is asking too much…

Lately, I seem to have found the right balance between comfort and tonal balance by using the small bore adapters of the spinfit 100+ (having them slide about half way through the bore of the advar effectively halving the nozzle diameter). I then slide the type E default eartip on top which forces a strong seal with the nozzle while the nozzle diameter halving effectively reflects high frequencies back into the driver housing and thus cuts down just about enough high frequencies for my taste.

BTW, I could not stand the wire for a week and am now using them with fiio utws5 (I did not notice a significant performance drop coming from iphone dongle). Again here, it’s good for walking and biking but running is pushing it a bit… pbly going to revert back to my airpods pro with silicon sleeve for that.

Now, I was curious about the new airpods pro and bose quiet comfort (both gen 2). I was actually bummed down by the airpods pro SQ as they lacked air/sparkle and drive while having muddy bass (coming from the advar). The bose are voiced quite differently with better dynamics and cleaner low end but they sound a bit shrill ootb (essentially like other bose earphones I’ve owned before, definitely a house sound it seems). Both felt very comfortable, had excellent anc and transparency modes so, had they sounded better, I’d have been tempted to get a set. If I had to choose, despite being sucked into apple ecosystem since long ago, I’d pbly chose the bose instead of the apple and play with the bose app to eq them to my taste.

As it stands, I’ll keep using my 3 y.o airpods pro gen 1 for running and the advar will be my goto portable earphones for other activities…

Cheers,
Arnaud

Nov 3, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #345 of 507
I found the scale equivalent of the Advar in an online ad:

311688112_876614183499238_6259256985525204593_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back