Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #212 of 507
The location of the pinhole port near the base of the Advar’s speaker tube can get easily blocked by non-OEM eartips. I would imagine that this could impact sound output but I do not know this for a fact.

The harder inner tube of the FA tips that come with the Advar’s fit snugly over the speaker tube and stay clear of the pinhole port even after repeated insertion into the ear.

In contrast…

I am using SpinFit CP145 with my Advar’s. I prefer the sound and seal of the SpinFit’s but the more flexible/looser attachment to the speaker tube that these tips make is allowing the tips inner tube to slide just enough to plug the hole with repeated insertion.

Jun 28, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #213 of 507
F59B4D9A-6B14-4FEE-9446-2B48B5A8746A.jpeg

Jun 29, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #214 of 507
If that is an actual tuning port, then that looks like a pretty glaring design flaw to me.

They really couldn't find any other place to put it?! :confused:

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #215 of 507
The location of the pinhole port near the base of the Advar’s speaker tube can get easily blocked by non-OEM eartips. I would imagine that this could impact sound output but I do not know this for a fact.

The harder inner tube of the FA tips that come with the Advar’s fit snugly over the speaker tube and stay clear of the pinhole port even after repeated insertion into the ear.

In contrast…

I am using SpinFit CP145 with my Advar’s. I prefer the sound and seal of the SpinFit’s but the more flexible/looser attachment to the speaker tube that these tips make is allowing the tips inner tube to slide just enough to plug the hole with repeated insertion.
I noticed the exact same thing yesterday with the exact same tips. 😂

Spiral Dots also go over the pinhole.

But hey… that can be a benefit if the effect tune it better for your liking. :)

Jul 1, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #218 of 507
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #219 of 507
Has anyone tried the Meze Advar as well as Beyerdynamic Xelento; and can offer some comparison in terms of tonality ? Thanks

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #220 of 507
I think I found out why I thought the ADVAR's treble region sounded so spicy....

meze advar fr.jpg

meatball-spicy.gif

The measurement comes from here: https://everydaylistening.net/2022/05/17/meze-audio-advar-review-flow-formed/

I compared some of his measurements of other IEMs with Crin's and they matched up pretty well, so I think this ADVAR measurement is legit.

And it definitely lines up with what I heard! :sweat_smile:
This explains the hot treble that I heard and I didn't like it at all.
I prefer the IE600.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #222 of 507
I think I found out why I thought the ADVAR's treble region sounded so spicy....

meze advar fr.jpg

meatball-spicy.gif

The measurement comes from here: https://everydaylistening.net/2022/05/17/meze-audio-advar-review-flow-formed/

I compared some of his measurements of other IEMs with Crin's and they matched up pretty well, so I think this ADVAR measurement is legit.

And it definitely lines up with what I heard! :sweat_smile:
Thanks for sharing! Just wanted to chime that the 8k peak is coupler resonance. I stated this in my review but that wouldn't be clear looking at the graph.

The Advar still has a lower treble peak but it's not too bad for my ears. I find dynamic drivers aren't quite as grating vs BA at dB to dB. If you are especially treble sensitive I would still say to err on the side of caution here.

Also, if you haven't tried yet, cut up some alcohol swab onto a small square and place it over the nozzle. It'll tine down the treble by a few dB without affecting the other frequencies. Add more layers to increase effect.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #223 of 507
I noticed that narrowed tips like the Stock tips makes Advar quite bright. So I ended up using wide bore tips and 64a foams

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #224 of 507
Advar FR.jpg

Hi everyone, here are some initial impressions after running Advar through my usual music (Ed Sheeran Tiny Desk Concert, Final Fantasy 8 OST, Violin on Stage by Bomsori, and Shall we dance)
  • The bass is much tamer than what I imagined, given that this IEM comes from Meze. It is only slightly bassier than my Andromeda in terms of the loudness. However, the physicality and texture of the bass is way better on the Meze IEM. Kick drums in Ed Sheeran's concert is tight and deep. The whole stage have a rumbly sensation when the cello and double bass sections kick in in Shall we Dance album. Despite my usual preference of 10db bass boost (E5000 and 64 Audio Trio), I don't feel lacking with Advar.
  • The midrange is surprisingly quite similar to Andromeda and E5000: warm, full of atmosphere with relaxed but still correct ear gain. The center image is not completely diffused and out-of-head like Andromeda, but not very upfront like Harman-ish and moondrop IEMs either. Again, very similar to E5000.
  • The true treble region is spicy. Luckily, I have no problem with treble boost around mid-treble. So I was free to enjoy the extra clarity brought by this set. Don't get me wrong, I can hear slightly metallic timbre, such as from trumpet section. However, it did not reach an unnatural level, so I don't complain.
  • This IEM is more resolving than what you expect (or at least what I expected). You can use Ed Sheeran's visiting hour to check. Focus on the chimes and the background vocal, as well as the details in Ed's voice. Advar manages to render every touch of the chimes distinctively. Of course, good chimes rendering is not only for showing off. In my experience, an IEM that renders these sounds well tend to reveal more texture and details across frequency spectrum.
  • The upper air region reminds me of 64 Audio TIA driver. That's the highest praise I can give. There is an immediate dip after 8k, which to my ears, helps create the illusion that the sound fades into the surrounding environment. And then, similarly to TIA drivers, the treble kicks back at the last octave, highlighting background vocal, decays, reverbs, and other good bits at the outer most layer of the soundstage.
  • Soundstage is large with good sense of depth. I mean, it is expected, given the atmospheric tuning of the lower-midrange, laid back ear-gain, 10k dip, and that massive air boost.
  • Source-wise, this IEM is very easy to drive. I only need 10 notch on Apple dongle to reach 88db (when measuring in REW). I don't think I will be using the 4.4 cable. My KA3 might blow out my ear drums.
  • Last but not least, the IEM is more comfortable and prettier than my expectation.
I still have 9 more days to put this IEM though its pace, but so far, loving it. I have been searching for this kind of sound for a while. My burning question is whether it is worth its asking price. I mean it is good, but how good. We will see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back