Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Jun 16, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #196 of 511
Quite worried about the diaphragm popping out of place. Is this common?

Not really sure what you mean by "diaphragm popping out of place"? Care to elaborate more on this? If you are referring to driver flex pop, that is very uncommon with ADVAR due to a popper venting of the DD driver. But if you are getting that "pop" sound, try eartips one size smaller to relax the seal. If you are talking about something else, please let us know. Diaphragm is inside the shell, not sure how you can see it or determine it being out of place, unless you mean something else?

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #197 of 511
Not really sure what you mean by "diaphragm popping out of place"? Care to elaborate more on this? If you are referring to driver flex pop, that is very uncommon with ADVAR due to a popper venting of the DD driver. But if you are getting that "pop" sound, try eartips one size smaller to relax the seal. If you are talking about something else, please let us know. Diaphragm is inside the shell, not sure how you can see it or determine it being out of place, unless you mean something else?
It's in the review. The reviewer says that he needs to apply pressure to get the Advar back into its right configuration, and that bass suffers. Good news that it seems not common, but coming from a Beyerdynamic Lagoon that just started completely disintegrating, I notice that I'm very wary of any mention of problematic build quality.

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #198 of 511
It's in the review. The reviewer says that he needs to apply pressure to get the Advar back into its right configuration, and that bass suffers. Good news that it seems not common, but coming from a Beyerdynamic Lagoon that just started completely disintegrating, I notice that I'm very wary of any mention of problematic build quality.

Which/whose review? Based on what you mentioned above, sounds like the person didn't have the right set of eartips. Advar has shallow insertion depth, and those nuggets have a hefty weight, pulling them out of your ears if they are not secure inside. If you get the right size and type of eartips, you will have a good seal (no sound leakage and no issues with the bass attenuation) and a secure fit (staying wedged in your earcanal).

Jun 16, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #200 of 511
Which/whose review? Based on what you mentioned above, sounds like the person didn't have the right set of eartips. Advar has shallow insertion depth, and those nuggets have a hefty weight, pulling them out of your ears if they are not secure inside. If you get the right size and type of eartips, you will have a good seal (no sound leakage and no issues with the bass attenuation) and a secure fit (staying wedged in your earcanal).
The review just posted...
My review of the Advar is up here on Head-Fi as well as on my blog.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #201 of 511
"Driver flex pop," as you call it, is not what I am referring to. I am referring to the actual diaphragm of the driver being pushed out of its proper alignment during insertion into the ear canal or as a result of movement inside the ear canal during extended use. During the course of my review, there were several points where I felt the Advar had less bass than it did when I first started listening to it. I confirmed this with measurements that showed that the Advar had basically neutral bass in this state. I had to pop the diaphragm back into alignment by pushing the housings as deeply into my ear as possible with the largest tips I had to get the intended levels of bass back.
As I stated in my review, this is not the first IEM I have had this issue with. The same thing happened with the Dunu Luna, and I had to perform the same procedure to get it to sound like it ought to again. The issue seems to be that to get a very high-performance dynamic driver, you have to make the diaphragm as thin as possible, but it is so flexible that the pressure of insertion into the ear canal can move the diaphragm out of alignment, compromising the tuning. I don't see this as a QC issue as much as a design compromise. This is not an issue of seal in the traditional sense. As a matter of fact, it may be an issue of too much seal in terms of the size and grippiness of the included eartips.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #202 of 511
"Driver flex pop," as you call it, is not what I am referring to. I am referring to the actual diaphragm of the driver being pushed out of its proper alignment during insertion into the ear canal or as a result of movement inside the ear canal during extended use. During the course of my review, there were several points where I felt the Advar had less bass than it did when I first started listening to it. I confirmed this with measurements that showed that the Advar had basically neutral bass in this state. I had to pop the diaphragm back into alignment by pushing the housings as deeply into my ear as possible with the largest tips I had to get the intended levels of bass back.
As I stated in my review, this is not the first IEM I have had this issue with. The same thing happened with the Dunu Luna, and I had to perform the same procedure to get it to sound like it ought to again. The issue seems to be that to get a very high-performance dynamic driver, you have to make the diaphragm as thin as possible, but it is so flexible that the pressure of insertion into the ear canal can move the diaphragm out of alignment, compromising the tuning. I don't see this as a QC issue as much as a design compromise. This is not an issue of seal in the traditional sense. As a matter of fact, it may be an issue of too much seal in terms of the size and grippiness of the included eartips.
I think you're mistaken. This has nothing to do with the diaphragm and everything to do with proper seal (you said it yourself, you had to push it further in to get the sound back). This is hardly unique to Advar. If you don't get a good seal, bass goes from amazing to meek (or neutral as you call it).

Same happens with almost any IEM. Advar is particularly tip sensitive because of its small size and short nozzle, so you have to be sure to get a good, firm seal. A tip that's too small will shift or slip out mid use and break the seal, killing the bass and spiking the treble.

Again, nothing to do with the diaphragm or IEM itself.

PS. the included tips, in my experience, are not ideal. Rather tip roll with a wider bore tip.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #203 of 511
I think you're mistaken. This has nothing to do with the diaphragm and everything to do with proper seal (you said it yourself, you had to push it further in to get the sound back). This is hardly unique to Advar. If you don't get a good seal, bass goes from amazing to meek (or neutral as you call it).

Same happens with almost any IEM. Advar is particularly tip sensitive because of its small size and short nozzle, so you have to be sure to get a good, firm seal. A tip that's too small will shift or slip out mid use and break the seal, killing the bass and spiking the treble.

Again, nothing to do with the diaphragm or IEM itself.
I am not mistaken and I know what I experienced and measured. I've been doing this long enough to know the difference.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #204 of 511
I’m with the other guys. When you mention “the diaphragm gets out of position “ (or something in this line) is understood that you are saying that the driver inside the shell moved. You’re just describing a general behaviour pf any universal IEM that tend to lose seal or dislodge from the ear canal with movement and time. That’s completely normal.

Other interpretation of what you’re describing is what is usually described on LX. Is not a driver out of position, but just a driver flex due to the inter canal seal and build up pressure on insertion.

Either way, normal.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #206 of 511
Not a huge fan of the gold and black, feels kind of cheap. They also kind look a little like a toilet.
You have to see it in person. I’m not a classic design either. But this feels and look nothing cheap in person.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #208 of 511
Hey guys, my FULL REVIEW of the Meze Advar is now online.

Hope you like, and feel free to discuss here or PM me with any questions.​

I absolutely agree with you about the 'sizzly treble' on these. I tried them with Final eartips (my usual favorite tips) and thought that their resolution and tone was excellent but that their treble had an almost BA-like coloration to it that kept me from taking them home. I will try them again with an assortment of different tips to see if I can get their treble under control. But I really liked what I heard and thought that they were definitely an overall step-up (except for their too hot treble) from my current fav under-$500 IEM, the FiiO FD5.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #209 of 511
For those interested I just published my review here. Thumbs up to Meze on an excellent, refined, and utterly listenable IEM.

As an aside, and as mentioned in the review, while I agree that it is super tip dependent, I never found them shouty or etched. Vocals could sound a little thin and compressed with the wrong tips, but I hardly ever experienced shimmer or zing. Goes to show just how tip and ear sensitive these are.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #210 of 511
I think I found out why I thought the ADVAR's treble region sounded so spicy....

meze advar fr.jpg

meatball-spicy.gif

The measurement comes from here: https://everydaylistening.net/2022/05/17/meze-audio-advar-review-flow-formed/

I compared some of his measurements of other IEMs with Crin's and they matched up pretty well, so I think this ADVAR measurement is legit.

And it definitely lines up with what I heard! :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back