Meze 99 Classics Europe Tour - Reviewers Wanted
Feb 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #32 of 114
Turkey is not a EU member but it's a EU candidate so...

City: Istanbul, Turkey
Gear: Chord Mojo, Ultrasone Edition M, Oppo PM-2
Review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-ie800/reviews/10996

I'm also thinking of writing a review on Ultrasone Edition M.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #33 of 114
This show is officially on the road! The Meze 99 has arrived from Romania with love. Pictures to follow. 
L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #34 of 114
I will try to avoid anything is (to be) said in these reviews not to fix my opinion into somebody's review, before hearing them myself. I done quite well with Follout4 avoiding all reviews,so there is a chance this time as well.

Enjoy Your time :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #35 of 114
Some impressions with the Geek Out 1000 powering these:

These do an excellent job separating out vocal layers. On Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (West German Target pressing) this is especially apparent in the chorus. Each of the three vocalists is distinctly identifiable in space. Well done, Meze Audio, this isn't usually the case. I think these do a little better than the HD600 on this song.

On Eagles - Hotel California (DCC Gold), the jet pan is a little lost in the mix. I think it is due to some emphasis on other parts and the relatively limited soundstage depth. Imaging is generally good, but there isn't very much air around most instruments. There is an average sound stage. Bass sounds a touch warm and thick.

Listening to the new jazz album from Jenny Maybee and Nick Phillips, Haiku, I'm caught off guard in a couple tracks by some dagger sharp piano. I think this may have to do with the 5Khz peak on the frequency response chart. One thing that is interesting about listening to headphones that push some frequencies to extremes, is that you notice peaky parts of recordings you hadn't noticed otherwise. When I switched to the 64Audio X2 (2 BA Adel model), the sharp piano was still there, but it was less emphasized and not painful. The same was true with the HD600.

San Francisco Orchestra - Mahler Symphony Number 8, Part I, IV. Gloria Patri Domino (DSD64) is a great track for looking at vocal extremes and separation. These headphones are very suited to choral work. Absolutely fantastic! The soprano sounds dynamic and vibrant and the other singers are nicely placed and layered.

Similarly, Trondheim Solistene - Magnificat, Et Misericordia (24/352.8) has great vocal separation. You can't pick out individual voices in entirety, but the flourishes of individual vocalists pull away from the choir nicely.

On Why - Strawberries the bass is a bit bloomy. It still sounds good and has decent extension (still shows up at 25hz, but doesn't drop as low as this track can go with any authority). The percussion is good but not among the best of headphones I own. It feels a touch slow on transient response. I get more out of my Trinity Audio Atlas and Echobox X1 on transient speed and note decay. The slow decay gives a bit of a romantic character to the sound, but I have a tendency towards incisive lighter sounds.

In another story of revealing characteristics of the headphones, the quality of Regina Spektor's track, Fidelity, is exposed a bit at the beginning when the bass is dropping. There is a little bit of noise in the track that I hadn't really noticed that the Meze 99 Classics amplify a bit. I confirmed it with the HD600; it's there.

These headphones are easy to drive. I only have to take the GO1000 to 20 volume on my laptop. I think a little more impedance might lower the noise floor a bit, though, which might eliminate the problem above.

The headphones are beautifully constructed, but the pad size and depth are significant flaws. I have average size ears, but these are not circumaural to anyone with ears much larger than a 6 year old.  The pads are also shallow. The combination of this and some clamping power from the headband means that  I get a bit of physical ear strain after a few hours of listening. Meze's next headphone needs to actually get around the ear. I know it doesn't look as stylish, but I'll take comfort over style--give me bigger earholes and deeper pads.

My prelim conclusions: stunning vocals, beautiful design, premium feel, great accessories; some treble fatigue, unforgiving of noise in the low end of recordings, bass thick but not very textured, overall thickness to sound from bass, cup size not big enough (that's right I said it), and can cause ear soreness due to small pad size and clamping. These are good headphones, but I'm not sure I'd put my money on these over the Oppo PM3, which is in a similar price range, but more comfortable, with a more even handed frequency response and some of the best mids in it's price-range. One potential advantage that I haven't got to hear on these is the ease of getting a balanced cable. These have the now ubiquitous mono 3.5mm dual jacks (HiFiMan HE1000, HiFiMan HE-X, HiFiMan 400i and 400s circa 2016, Sennheiser HD700, Oppo PM1, Oppo PM2) so balanced cables are easily available. If I owned any of those headphones, I would have been able to do a balanced shoot-out between the HD600 and the Meze 99 Classics using the LH Labs Geek Pulse X-Infinity. It would have been exciting. Maybe if I win these at the end of the tour I can update my review.

I still need some more time for more comparative listening, and a full review will be forthcoming.

Here's some pictures!

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #36 of 114
short update on the 99s:
I received them today and and asked Team Meze if it's possible to keep them a bit longer than the usual 7 days.
My reason is that we have a Head-Fi meet in Vienna on the 27th (http://www.head-fi.org/t/786114/9th-vienna-meet-27th-of-february-2016)
Meze agreed and the package will be on its way on the 28th/29th.

I will post some pictures and the impressions of other people too.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #37 of 114
Feb 20, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #38 of 114
The headphones are on to albaman. I'll try to get my review up in the next weekish. I've got two iFi devices to write up first, but one review is already half finished.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #40 of 114
Hey guys,

I had these headphones in my possession for a week, and I want write my review of them as I am supposed to.
So here follows my very stupid question. Where do I go and write a review? I searched the whole forum, but couldn't find any options to post a review.
I shall add that I'm frequenting head-fi for a few years now, but I've never actually posted anything until now. 
I tried to find any information regarding the posting rules on head-fi, as the only explanation i might have is that i need to have a minimum number of posts until i can make a review.
Do you know if this is true?

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #41 of 114
  Hey guys,

I had these headphones in my possession for a week, and I want write my review of them as I am supposed to.
So here follows my very stupid question. Where do I go and write a review? I searched the whole forum, but couldn't find any options to post a review.
I shall add that I'm frequenting head-fi for a few years now, but I've never actually posted anything until now. 
I tried to find any information regarding the posting rules on head-fi, as the only explanation i might have is that i need to have a minimum number of posts until i can make a review.

Go onto the Meze 99 Classics Page -> Look at the upper right corner -> click on "Write a review"

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #42 of 114
  Hey guys,

On the http://www.head-fi.org/products/meze-99-classics page there is a Write a Review button on the top right corner.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back