Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 15, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #7,201 of 7,677
Just chilling with some good local craft beer, the N3P and 99 Noir. Went back to my copper cable. So rich and deep.
Passing along a small sample of the tunes while I sip and get some decent blues vibe going:

May 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #7,202 of 7,677
Such amazing synergy these two makes. 99 Classics driven by Topping D10s/A50s. It's lush warmth meet technical dexterity. Totally enjoying these with Speed and Black Metal - even better than my previous Grados
Meze-Topping.jpg

Jun 2, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #7,203 of 7,677
Hello everyone, I came here for advise, because I'm out of ideas now. I'm looking for custom earpads for my Meze 99 Classics, that will be deeper than original ones, and won't change the original sound, which I like so much. My problem with original earpads is that I can't use the headphones longer than an hour, because my eartips are being pressed against the wall of the driver and start to hurt pretty hard after an hour. So I want to listen that headphones, I love it's sound, but I can't listen to it with comfort and asking you guys for help. Sorry if I made any mistakes, I'm not so good in English.

UPD: After reading the thread a little I think I need to mention that I have 3rd revision earpads, and I'd like to save it's sound. Or, maybe I should unbend the headphones to reduse the pressure on the head and eartips? I'm not sure about that...

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #7,204 of 7,677
Hello everyone, I came here for advise, because I'm out of ideas now. I'm looking for custom earpads for my Meze 99 Classics, that will be deeper than original ones, and won't change the original sound, which I like so much. My problem with original earpads is that I can't use the headphones longer than an hour, because my eartips are being pressed against the wall of the driver and start to hurt pretty hard after an hour. So I want to listen that headphones, I love it's sound, but I can't listen to it with comfort and asking you guys for help. Sorry if I made any mistakes, I'm not so good in English.

UPD: After reading the thread a little I think I need to mention that I have 3rd revision earpads, and I'd like to save it's sound. Or, maybe I should unbend the headphones to reduse the pressure on the head and eartips? I'm not sure about that...
3rd revision pads are the slightly larger ones right? Based on your requirements, the only other pads that come to mind are the "Dekoni Sheepskin for Meze". I personally have not heard them, but read that they don't change the stock signature too much. Other pads (that i have tried) like yaxi, brainwavz... change the stock signature a bit too much for better or worse.

Jun 3, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #7,205 of 7,677
3rd revision pads are the slightly larger ones right? Based on your requirements, the only other pads that come to mind are the "Dekoni Sheepskin for Meze". I personally have not heard them, but read that they don't change the stock signature too much. Other pads (that i have tried) like yaxi, brainwavz... change the stock signature a bit too much for better or worse.
I saw Dekoni pads in the store and compared it with my original pads - unfortunately, Dekoni much smaller, not only in width and height, but even in depth. So it's not an option for me. But thanks for help anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #7,206 of 7,677
I'm interested in outfitting my Classics with ZMF Oval Suede pads but the Oval Protein pads on the T50rp Argon seem a bit too wide for it. Are there any ZMF alternative pads others have tried with success? Or perhaps some other brand of angled, suede pads with a nice amount of cushion to them? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #7,207 of 7,677
I was so much looking forward to Apple lossless. I am kind of disappointed and don‘t know exactly why. I am listening with my Meze 99 Classics and a FiiO Q3 (through silver balanced cable 2.5mm). Dolby Atmos only seems to work through the 3.5 connector (3.5 headphone jack on the new iMac 2021 and the 3.5 input on the Q3). I cannot listen to lossless music without EQ. The sound is so dull… anyone else with this experience? It is kind of unfortunate to use EQ with this kind of setup because it alters the sound again. What do you think?

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #7,208 of 7,677
Just joined the 99 Classics club. Really enjoying them. I've already owned the Meze Empyrean for a while. So why get the 99 Classics, you might wonder? I appreciate well made headphones at all levels. I've always heard good things about them. (And the great looks!) Glad I finally got a pair. A really well-balanced yet fun and easy to listen to headphone. Beautiful. Glad to have another product from Meze.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #7,209 of 7,677
Just joined the 99 Classics club. Really enjoying them. I've already owned the Meze Empyrean for a while. So why get the 99 Classics, you might wonder? I appreciate well made headphones at all levels. I've always heard good things about them. (And the great looks!) Glad I finally got a pair. A really well-balanced yet fun and easy to listen to headphone. Beautiful. Glad to have another product from Meze.

Welcome to the club! I've had the 99 Classics for a few years now and I'm thinking about going the opposite direction you took and get the Empyrean. Would like to get your thoughts on how they compare once you have used the 99 Classics for a while. Cheers.

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #7,212 of 7,677
Is there a well-regarded upgrade cable maker for the 99 Classics? All copper for my preferences. Thanks for any advice.
Try Hart, I think they have those oddly narrow connectors…

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #7,213 of 7,677
Is there a well-regarded upgrade cable maker for the 99 Classics? All copper for my preferences. Thanks for any advice.
Meze's silver upgrade cable makes the 99 Classics a notably better headphone. My first recommendation is to get that one, but it's expensive. But if blinding white isn't your thing or you want something cheaper, this looks intriguing. I'd be curious to hear feedback when compared to the first party cable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203166350396?hash=item2f4da87c3c:g:NxgAAOSwYjRd90Me

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,214 of 7,677
I still can‘t find a suitable EQ setting for my iPhone when listening to Apple Music. Unfortunely Apple users are limited to the stock EQ settings. What settings are you using on an iPhone? Any recommendations now that lossless is finally available with Apple Music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back