Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #7,216 of 7,702
i was using the meze 99 (small pads/silver 3.5mm cable) and was amazed at the synergy with the cayin n3pro (tube mode)

d
My setup is very similar to yours. Meze 99 Classic with Silver Cable & Small Pads paired with Chord Mojo. I was set on getting either the DX160 (2020) or N3Pro but got myself a used (3 months old) Mojo for 350 USD instead. Zen DAC also pairs nicely with Meze 99 (in Balanced Out), second best pairing after Mojo for me.

Jun 26, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #7,217 of 7,702
Apologies if this was asked already, but I couldn't find anything through search; is the Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop the same thing essentially, driver and everything, other than the color?

I'm going to either offload these or look for new earpads as the depth is way too shallow for me, and just as I'm getting into them (20-30 minutes) it starts to give me a headache due to crushing my ear.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #7,218 of 7,702
Wow, what fine headphones these are. So easy to listen to, comfort no problem (for me at least), such a satisfying sound. Non-fatiguing, but also not boring/very engaging-- a great balance to pull off. And for the price?! Success.

Does anyone know if there will be any other limited editions released? When I love a headphone, I usually like to get more than one pair (if the price is not too dear)-- for me the Audioquest NightHawk, Kennerton Vali, and a couple others. Headphones that tend to focus on being smooth on top, while still being very punchy with good bass and full midrange. With an emphasis on a more 'organic' tonality. I can't wait to see what Meze does next.

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #7,219 of 7,702
Apologies if this was asked already, but I couldn't find anything through search; is the Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop the same thing essentially, driver and everything, other than the color?

I'm going to either offload these or look for new earpads as the depth is way too shallow for me, and just as I'm getting into them (20-30 minutes) it starts to give me a headache due to crushing my ear.
I'm new to these-- sorry can't help here. Sounds though like people have been experimenting with different earcups? (Edit: I mean earpads)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #7,220 of 7,702

Get the Brainwavz pads from Amazon. Vastly improved comfort for larger ears/heads.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #7,221 of 7,702
Get the Brainwavz pads from Amazon. Vastly improved comfort for larger ears/heads.
Nice, checking these out now, their store has them as well! It's hard to tell from the pictures how much more depth they have to them, anyone bought a pair that can verify? I've got the ones the Meze 99 Noirs came with, as well as the extra set, and they're both really shallow.

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #7,222 of 7,702

My buddie has the noirs and I have the 99 Classics. Honestly they sound identical to us both, but I'm glad I went for 99 Classics as the Noir's paint in person didn't look as good as the Massdrop photo IMO.

21-06-27 00-25-49 4376.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #7,223 of 7,702
My buddie has the noirs and I have the 99 Classics. Honestly they sound identical to us both, but I'm glad I went for 99 Classics as the Noir's paint in person didn't look as good as the Massdrop photo IMO.

21-06-27 00-25-49 4376.jpg
Agreed, the Noir color doesn't look nearly as classy in person as the Classics. It's a really dark brown, wish they would have just made them matte black.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #7,225 of 7,702
I also bought a Meze, the 99 Neo.

It's the first time I bought a Meze headphone, and it's been a long time since I had a closed back headphone, but the Arya leaks way more than any other headphones I had, so I can't play as much as I want at night without waking up my GF.

I should receive it today :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back