Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #6,931 of 7,703
What's the best pads for Meze 99 Neo to tame the bass? Is the only sound difference between Neo and Noir coming from the smaller pads offered by the Noir? If I get the smaller official pads for my neo will they sound identical to the classics and Noir?
The only difference between the Noir vs Classics is the additional set of "new original" pads which have smaller internal diameter. I didn't prefer them at all. To my ears, these pads tighten up the bass and reduces bloom but loses so much treble. And these headphones already subdue the treble so much with the stock pads as it is. I own both the 99 classics and the noirs. Like many here, I rock the Yaxi STPads 2. They bring them into more balanced tonality. I wish I could hear the classics with the originally released pads. Reportedly Meze ended their business relationship with the manufacturers of the old pads. The pads that come with the Noirs were supposed to replicate the original pads. Not sure if they hit the mark

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #6,932 of 7,703
From my experience balanced sounds much better than single ended.
I agree with you. The 4.4 mm balanced output from the iBasso DX160 makes the 99classics sound wider with better stereo imaging and separation compared to its single ended 3.5mm output. 4.4mm also sounds wider than the dragonfly cobalt. Well done balanced circuits are likely the reason. It's not an issue of power since these cans are super easy to drive.

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #6,933 of 7,703

Since your post I have updated two things on my 99s:
The stock cable > rhodium plated 2.5mm cable from Meze
The stock earpads > random aliexpress earpads: one "velour" and the one provided through the link of @SrTexugo
This will be a brief review. I feel it is important to share because the Meze 99 has been metamorphosed from these two changes. It is a resurrection. And it will, hopefully, serve other people that may have been only so-so satisfied with the 99.

I received the cable and the pads at different moment (about 1 month apart), thus it is possible to provide feedback on each change individually
It is paired with an iBasso dx120 (no EQ), and my laptop (dell xps 2020 15" if that gives any detail). For comparison I usually use my iBasso IT03 (linum superbax 2.5mm cable) and ha HD25-1 II that now has been hoarded by my partner. Arguably if you have an amp (portable or not), this may not relate at all with your experience.

My initial thought on the Meze 99 (bought in March 2020) were that, beyond their beautiful design, the sound was good, but just good. Something was missing, and often the sound felt a bit claustrophobic to me, especially on my dx120. On my laptop it felt a lot better already but still not something was not quite right. The lack of space was a big part of it. Thus I would often go back to my IT03s. I still used the Meze quite a lot, but I ended not using the Meze so much for music but rather other type of entertainment.

So why is the Meze 99 back from the dead? (according to me)

First, the cable changed the sound profile quite a bit. It felt clearer, a bit more open although marginally. The pairing of the 99s with the DX120 was always quite weak using the stock 3.5mm. A sort of veil, as if lacking driving power, which it was not. The Meze never really punched properly with the stock cable, and I would go back to my iems for that pairing.
This veil was not present when used on my laptop (with a typical 3.5mm). The 99s sound pretty good on it, but still something was not there.
As intended, the DX120 shines with the 2.5mm output, and the Meze really got resurrected with the 2.5mm cable.
Was it worth the 130€ or so (from Meze)? Yes, now the headphones lead a better life on the DX120, and my preference between the 99 and the IT03s has been blurred a lot more. The sound, which used to favour the IT03, for my choice of pairing, has been equalized. I would pick on other preferences (comfort, mobility, etc.)

Second, the pads. I received the first pair on the 16th of Feb (yesterday). So this is a fresh comparison.
This is where the magic really happened.
I bought some random black velour pads that explicitly said "not cheap" on aliexpress. For 11€ that's actually quite cheap but really I felt I was going for a absolute gamble buying these. Only one very average review.
So with a title like this, that average review, and that price, I assuredly thought it was a risky gamble (and not environmentally friendly either). I mean how good can something be if it is advertised as "not cheap" :wink:
1613550727888.png

Now these new pads have three characteristics that differentiate them from the stock Meze:
- They are deeper
- The surrounding pads is thicker, meaning the ear has less space to move around when the headphones are on (see right picture)
- They are "velour". I think, maybe, at least it feels like it. not cheap! not cheap!
Below pictures for comparison with stock (off); apologies for the rotten potato quality
IMG_20210217_092458[1].jpg
IMG_20210217_092608[1].jpg

But how did the new pads change the Meze?
Well it is an absolute game changer. I think the Meze are now what I was hoping for them to be when I bought them. It was paired with the iBasso DX120. Main music styles is metal, with bits and pieces of classical music and jazz bands, and anything that's orchestral enough. I am not a basshead, and my music is usually quite fast paced (relatively high bpm).

What a change! truly incredible!
Suddenly the music feels open, the veil is absolutely gone. It feels spacious and the details are merged with the fun of the Meze in an absolute banger. It feels like the Meze has somehow ascended thanks to these pads.
What is the cause of the change? I think it is the extra depth, and this despite the narrower ear opening. It is possible the fabric+ material change the sound too, definitely. But since I don't know what it is made of, I can't tell what does what.
The Meze are absolutely killing it with the DX120, it's punchy, it's open. The bass are not overwhelming at all (they feel a tiny bit more in the background than with stock pads), but they feel good, sharped, and mastered. Some details I could only perceive are now clearly present.
I spent a couple hours yesterday sitting on my couch going through my music with quite some excitement, eager to listen to all my favourite songs through these cans with their new parure. It was an amazing time.
My 99 has never sounded so good. It is that simple.

But that's not all! The stock pad always felt very warm to me (I do have lot of hair though). And sometimes, if not placed properly, my ears would touch the speakers, it would get uncomfortable after a while short. It would be easy to fix by just adjusting their position though. But now it is really not needed anymore.
These issues are gone, magic.
The comfort of the Meze 99 has drastically improved, mainly through the depth of the pads. No more heating, no more touching ears.
I also wear glasses, and the pressure feels lower now, yet it was not a problem before. I do have a fairly small head.

So, I'd really invite people to get a pair of deeper earpads. They improve a lot the Classics, both from a sound and quality of life perspective.
A few alternative pads have been shared already on this thread, from very expensive to very cheap. So everything is possible. Feel free to dm me if you are interested in the NOT CHEAP EARPADS of this brief feedback. They are actually cheap, price wise. But the quality definitely feels very decent. Looking forward to testing the second pair as well!

Cheers!

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #6,934 of 7,703
I have a pair of new yaxi pads, just try them on few songs to test but don't like the sound at all. I gonna sell them.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #6,936 of 7,703
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #6,938 of 7,703
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #6,939 of 7,703
First, the cable changed the sound profile quite a bit. It felt clearer, a bit more open although marginally. The pairing of the 99s with the DX120 was always quite weak using the stock 3.5mm. A sort of veil, as if lacking driving power, which it was not. The Meze never really punched properly with the stock cable, and I would go back to my iems for that pairing.
This veil was not present when used on my laptop (with a typical 3.5mm). The 99s sound pretty good on it, but still something was not there.
As intended, the DX120 shines with the 2.5mm output, and the Meze really got resurrected with the 2.5mm cable.
I assume the balanced output of the DX120 is doing the majority of the improvement. A good test would be to put a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter on the new cable and plug it into the DX120s 3.5mm port. That way you can compare the new cable vs stock with a common source.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #6,940 of 7,703
The more like I listen to the Classics the more I like them. I’m definitely favouring them over the Nighthawk’s now too.

I think I’ve measured the pads correctly and it seems like I’ve got the small pads too, which probably explains why I like them so much.

I think if I get rid of the Nighthawk’s then I might get a balanced cable for the 99’s. £50 feels like a lot of money for a cable though.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #6,941 of 7,703
The more like I listen to the Classics the more I like them. I’m definitely favouring them over the Nighthawk’s now too.

I think I’ve measured the pads correctly and it seems like I’ve got the small pads too, which probably explains why I like them so much.

I think if I get rid of the Nighthawk’s then I might get a balanced cable for the 99’s. £50 feels like a lot of money for a cable though.
50 for a cable is cheap lol

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #6,943 of 7,703
Hello
I notice that NEO clamp force is too strong for me, when I playing games for about 1-2 hours. I have headache pain after it. May be some advises how to make clamp force less?
I've seen people place tight cans over the sides of a box to safely stretch a metal headband without bending them. Perhaps a shoe box, width-wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back