Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #6,361 of 7,695
Guys, do you listen Meze 99 Classic with AMP or directly to your phone?
Using a DAP (iBasso DX160) via 4.4mm balanced output using the Meze silver cable)

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #6,364 of 7,695
Guys, do you listen Meze 99 Classic with AMP or directly to your phone?

I listen primarily mobile with an es100 and occasionally direct from my phone (LG G8) and also with a schitt vali 2 headphone Amp.

I like the es100 as I can apply eq to soften the bass and slightly boost the treble.

Sounds best, to me, with es100 to vali 2, which is very slightly better than es100 balanced, which I think is better than straight from phone via SE connection.

Overall, very fun and enjoyable headphones... I prefer them to my hd6xx

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #6,365 of 7,695
I love them, they are so good , but sometimes sound too bassy, when I used Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Memory Foam pads, sound bass got better but somehow their sound signature changed too much, which ones did you use?

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #6,367 of 7,695
Not to go too far off-topic with BLON hype but as someone who just picked up the BL-03 on a whim, I am pretty impressed with the sound. Just in terms of the frequency response, it is very similar to the 99 Noir with smaller pads. Warm, bassy, but balanced with just a touch of lower treble presence. The BL-03 might have a bit more air up top and less mid-bass, but the overall voicing is very similar. Just goes to show you how well-liked this sound is, from my pov.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #6,368 of 7,695
Hello everyone!

I have the idea of using original Meze 99 earpads as replacement (for my Denon mm400, for its originals are waaaay overpriced and bad quality IMHO).

Could you provide me with the OUTER dimensions of these earpads? I find the inner dimensions everywhere, but not the outers.

Many Thanks!
Attila

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #6,369 of 7,695
Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum.I am Victor, I am French (sorry for my English:relaxed:) but I live in Malaysia.

First post here. I created this account to thank you for all your advice and share my experience with the Meze 99 Classics.

I am new to the headphones hobby. I own a Sony WH 1000 XM3, because I travel a lot for work and I needed a good sound isolation in the flights. Due to the recent events I don't travel anymore so I wanted to buy a better set for my home office. I read almost all the 400+ pages of this thread... and I went for the Meze 99 Classics. At the same time I got a Tidal Hifi subscription (7 USD a month in Malaysia :)) .

I have to mention that I got the 3rd generation of ear pads.Important detail.

When I received them (with an Ibasso DC02 DAC), I was a bit disappointed. Of course it was better than the Sony, but no WOW effect.
Build quality and comfort were great but too much bass, a bit muddy, not enough defined . Burn in was useful though, but no miracle. Still this lingering bass. I felt tired after one hour of listening.

Then I purchased an ifi Zen Dac and the Meze 2.5 Balanced upgrade Cables. Big improvement, everything was more defined and the bass were mostly tamed. Maybe it's not from the cable but from the balanced circuit of my DAC. I don't know... it's better.
BUT in my opinion the decisive step was when i got the Yaxi stpad 2 (thanks Dramlin :beerchug:). It changed everything to me. Bass are at a good level, more precise, I even push the Truebass button on my DAC sometimes...Mids are superb. Everything is defined and airy.They sound more "open". And I also find the pads more comfortable than the stock pad.

I am a bit surprised that Meze didn't pay much attention to their pads design, but fortunately Dramlin found the solution.

So with these few additions (balanced cables + Yaxi stpad 2) I went from an almost disappointment to the expected WOW effect.

Thank you guys for all your advice.

Victor

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #6,370 of 7,695
Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum.I am Victor, I am French (sorry for my English:relaxed:) but I live in Malaysia.

First post here. I created this account to thank you for all your advice and share my experience with the Meze 99 Classics.

I am new to the headphones hobby. I own a Sony WH 1000 XM3, because I travel a lot for work and I needed a good sound isolation in the flights. Due to the recent events I don't travel anymore so I wanted to buy a better set for my home office. I read almost all the 400+ pages of this thread... and I went for the Meze 99 Classics. At the same time I got a Tidal Hifi subscription (7 USD a month in Malaysia :)) .

I have to mention that I got the 3rd generation of ear pads.Important detail.

When I received them (with an Ibasso DC02 DAC), I was a bit disappointed. Of course it was better than the Sony, but no WOW effect.
Build quality and comfort were great but too much bass, a bit muddy, not enough defined . Burn in was useful though, but no miracle. Still this lingering bass. I felt tired after one hour of listening.

Then I purchased an ifi Zen Dac and the Meze 2.5 Balanced upgrade Cables. Big improvement, everything was more defined and the bass were mostly tamed. Maybe it's not from the cable but from the balanced circuit of my DAC. I don't know... it's better.
BUT in my opinion the decisive step was when i got the Yaxi stpad 2 (thanks Dramlin :beerchug:). It changed everything to me. Bass are at a good level, more precise, I even push the Truebass button on my DAC sometimes...Mids are superb. Everything is defined and airy.They sound more "open". And I also find the pads more comfortable than the stock pad.

I am a bit surprised that Meze didn't pay much attention to their pads design, but fortunately Dramlin found the solution.

So with these few additions (balanced cables + Yaxi stpad 2) I went from an almost disappointment to the expected WOW effect.

Thank you guys for all your advice.

Victor
They did pay attention... At 1st. But then too many people were complaining about the pads being too small, so Meze accommodate with a larger pad. Unfortunately, it altered the sound in a mostly negative way.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #6,371 of 7,695
Hey Guys,
I know there's a couple of people who have reviewed the 2.5mm balanced and the silver balanced cables, but does anyone have both and can comment on the sound differences between the two? I want to find out if it's worth paying extra for the silver balanced. Thanks!

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #6,372 of 7,695
Hey Guys,
I know there's a couple of people who have reviewed the 2.5mm balanced and the silver balanced cables, but does anyone have both and can comment on the sound differences between the two? I want to find out if it's worth paying extra for the silver balanced. Thanks!
Curious myself. I've never used a pure silver cable. Pretty expensive. I have pure copper which I think I like the best, as well as silver plated copper. I'm one of the few who believes I'm hearing a difference in cables, but until I'm ready to make the jump from mid fi, I'll stick with copper. I'm sure diminishing returns with expensive cables are similar to that with expensive headphones.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #6,374 of 7,695
How do these compare to the M100's, to someone that actually has them? The V-Moda M100's do it all for me. If these are better, explain how.
Better is subjective. I can tell you why I prefer the 99s, and though the 100 was just okay, but that isn't an explanation. You should try to have a listen for yourself if possible.

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6,375 of 7,695
The AXPONA 2020 is cancelled, but we have World Wide Audiofest today.
An Instagram Live Audio Festival for music lovers, enthusiasts and the audio industry.
Connect from your home to the world’s best audio brands,
all online for two days.

And you can check out Meze Audio IG Live HERE.

1592598951556.png

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back