Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 17, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #6,331 of 7,681
Yes..

Very reasonably priced... I also bought the balanced cable from them... They run 50% sales on the cable periodically.

I keep checking their site for a new dynamic model - ready to step up for more at home use - but not quite ready for the empryeans! :)

I use the 99s a lot as portable cans - not jogging, etc, but listening at locations other than inside... On the patio, at the office, park or traveling - and it is actually super nice to NOT have a cable connected to my phone... Didn't except that, actually, before the es100, I found sound quality of wireless audio, not worth the trade off - even with highly reviewed Sony wireless headphone - just felt the sound lacking... Not so with meze 99 and es 100
The 99s is also an eye-catcher :p It's pretty much very rare to see one. And is it the Sony WH XM3? I once tried it in a store and sound is terrible when using it wired. Very narrow soundstage too.

May 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #6,332 of 7,681
It also has balanced output - which I find works better with meze - slightly better imaging and wider Soundstage.
I wasn’t sure about investing in the balanced cable to use the Meze 99 with my ES100, but I’m glad I did. At first I didn’t notice much of a difference, but after listening with balanced cables for a few weeks and then switching back to SE the difference was noticeable to me. Not the the SE connection and ES100 was bad. Far from it. I just really noticed the separation and detail difference more. But this may have more to do with the ES100 than the Meze 99.

May 17, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #6,333 of 7,681
Ok thanks, what about isolation? I found the meze 99 classics not very efficient for my isolation needs, especially for the sound that comes out of the headphones.

The isolation is not very good.

May 17, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #6,335 of 7,681
I wasn’t sure about investing in the balanced cable to use the Meze 99 with my ES100, but I’m glad I did. At first I didn’t notice much of a difference, but after listening with balanced cables for a few weeks and then switching back to SE the difference was noticeable to me. Not the the SE connection and ES100 was bad. Far from it. I just really noticed the separation and detail difference more. But this may have more to do with the ES100 than the Meze 99.
I experienced the same thing with balanced out of the es 100... I still listen single ended with a schitt vali 2 - which has a little more dynamics around each note - but I find soundstage and imaging slightly better with balanced - not night and day, but definitely noticeable.

May 17, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6,337 of 7,681
It doesn't have good isolation, I can still hear people talking in front of me. DT770 has excellent isolation.
I was thinking of the 177x, I am looking for a closed back version of my beloved XBA-N3 (which I sell to a friend of mine to take the meze), the 177x definitely have better insulation than the meze and perhaps the best sound on all aspects, but with I would pay the customs and shipping taxes on the 430 and at the moment I can't afford them .. I tried the meze classics by a friend of mine and they are very funny, but I found too much bass power, I think the best solutions is meze noir with the smaller pads or with yaxi pads, the only fear is that I can't return them .. Actually I'm very happy with the XBA-N3, also because I'm underestimating my insulation needs, but if with the meze there is an improvement of the sound I will be happy to listen even less times a day but with more quality, I hope that the noir with the smaller pads or with the yaxi pads can give me a significant improvement compared to XBA-N3 as regards the medium and a little bit of low ...

May 18, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #6,338 of 7,681
If you are interested in the measurement of our 99 Classic, check out the 99 Classic test page of Headphone Test Lab. This is a newly launched non-commercial website dedicated to providing in-depth, comprehensive and relevant independent testing of high-quality headphones.

1589808802428.png

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
May 21, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #6,339 of 7,681
I don't post in this thread anymore, but I wanted to pass along a video. I got a link from Jazziz magazine for a YouTube video. It is an interview with Antonio Meze and has some interesting info:

Also, while I am here, I wanted to mention something. I have always felt that my 99's never really scaled with amplifier usage.
What I should have said is that they never met a great partner until now. I recently bought a low impedance tube amp for my Grado's and it is a great combo. Just out of curiosity, I hooked up the 99's and Wow! They have never sounded more clear or articulate. And the bass is really cleaned up and precise.
My oldest and most functional headphones can challenge as one of the best sounding. Or as close as closed backs can get.

May 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #6,341 of 7,681
Yup before picking up the Yaxi pads I had the small Meze pads. The small pads are an improvement, but to my ears the the yaxi's totally balance out the HP. My 99's are almost neutral with a slight bump in the bass and mids and opens of the soundstage. They are also an under rated gaming can.
Mine just arrived and your description of what the Yaxi stPad2 sounds like in comparison to the small Meze pads is right on. That's precisely how I hear them. They are SO MUCH better sounding than either of the Meze pads...by a long shot. These headphones are much more enjoyable to listen to now.

By the way my st Pad2 appears to be protein leather all around. I'm not sure what others are saying about turning them around to get the velour half.

Edit: Upon closer examination I now see the 2 different materials on the inner rim.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #6,342 of 7,681
Mine just arrived and your description of what the Yaxi stPad2 sounds like in comparison to the small Meze pads is right on. That's precisely how I hear them. They are SO MUCH better sounding than either of the Meze pads...by a long shot. These headphones are much more enjoyable to listen to now.

By the way my st Pad2 appears to be protein leather all around. I'm not sure what others are saying about turning them around to get the velour half.

Edit: Upon closer examination I now see the 2 different materials on the inner rim.

Ya i've never tried flipping them, I've been happy with the leather side.

May 23, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #6,343 of 7,681
Shopping for a closed back of headphones to use while laying down in bed. There's one for an excellent price but wasn't sure how the headband works while laying down with a pillow. The design makes me thing I might want to look elsewhere, but I heard these sound good and wanted to check.
I have both classics 99 and 99 neo and I use my neo exclusively in my bed sidewise on the pillow every time. I am so used to them that right now I feel is the most comfortable headphone to me for that purpose. The other time I tried some airpods and I really missed my neo.

I do not use the classics thought in that way because is so beautiful headphone and I cannot feel I can treat it like this. In comparison, the plastic cups of neo can afford a lot more abuse from me and my kids when there are lying around the bed.

Only problem is that I changed the pads of the neo with some velour pads that increased comfort and sound quality but the sound leakage deteriorated so this may affect bed usability if other people share the same bed or room.

May 23, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #6,344 of 7,681
I have not listen to my Meze 99 classics for a while since I have got a new toy. Still I love the sweet vocal of the Meze 99 c. I think that @MezeTeam is now working on a Meze Classics Ultra (?) or a Mini Empyrean which costs arround 1k usd. Hopefully an openback Meze XXX! You know from 300 usd to 3k usd is a very big gap !
20200519_142042.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #6,345 of 7,681
Meze 99 Noir and NX4 make a nice pair. I won’t say these are the best sounding headphones I’ve ever heard, but I find myself using them more than the others in my collection. They are extremely comfortable, easy to drive, non fatiguing and sound good with all the genres of music I listen to (jazz, rock, r&b, folk).
807CDF4D-C96C-479A-8A71-8A5D39FFA8A9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back