Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,841 of 7,703
Done. Thanks for the quick reply.

Right, so I got exactly the same pads through the mail.

Now, I'll have to live with it since no shop in Switzerland seems to be taking back headphones due to "hygienic" reasons--though you can ship back a beanie without any issues--go figure.

That being said, here's a little tip for those who have some issues with the Meze earpads size: twist them at an angle, that might help receiving the pressure/increase the comfort level.

'Hope this might help someone here.

Best.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #3,842 of 7,703
I've had the Meze 99 Classics for a few weeks now. They are comfortable and seal well now, after putting the pads under heavy books for a few hours. The sound ks good, but there are some issues. The mid-bass is a bit overemphasized, and it bleeds into the lower mids a bit, especially noticable in male vocals. I have about 30 hours on my pair now. Is this gonna go away after more use, or is this here to stay? Not sure if my pads are fully broken in, as i only put them under books for a few hours and not overnight. Hope it goes away, as mostly everything else is perfect, other than the treble being ever so slightly recessed for my preferences, but i think that the treble is just being overshadowed my the mid-bass. Thanks in advance. I really do hope that the mid-bass goes down a bit over time.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #3,843 of 7,703
I've had the Meze 99 Classics for a few weeks now. They are comfortable and seal well now, after putting the pads under heavy books for a few hours. The sound ks good, but there are some issues. The mid-bass is a bit overemphasized, and it bleeds into the lower mids a bit, especially noticable in male vocals. I have about 30 hours on my pair now. Is this gonna go away after more use, or is this here to stay? Not sure if my pads are fully broken in, as i only put them under books for a few hours and not overnight. Hope it goes away, as mostly everything else is perfect, other than the treble being ever so slightly recessed for my preferences, but i think that the treble is just being overshadowed my the mid-bass. Thanks in advance. I really do hope that the mid-bass goes down a bit over time.

It gets better with some burn-in, but it is hard to say how much. Try to EQ them as I pointed in my review, you might like them better that way :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #3,844 of 7,703
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #3,845 of 7,703

I started using them last week. I completely agree with you. I use them mostly for gaming so it's not big issue with me. The bass is not tight enough to pull it off. Overall it's a good headphone at the price point. The grado GH2 and OPPO pm1 spoiled me with good low end. My ears are tainted now.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #3,848 of 7,703
Got these in for review, I'm familiar with them but not given them a lot of time before. It will be interesting to play around with my JDS Labs Subjective 3 and the 99 Classics too. Open the picture in full to view the true colours (thumbnails wash out the colours on Head-Fi)

DSC_0309.jpg

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #3,850 of 7,703
I love my LCD-3, they are my current benchmark. Went to the local shop today to try some other headphones. Didn't love the Elear and Utopia; Utopia has a big stage and good detail, but is somewhat bright and loses composure with busy music; Elear isn't as good as Utopia. Didn't like the Nighthawk and Nightowl; they sound small and muddy, and lack detail. The new Klipsch model which runs about $1200 is pretty good, but I didn't see a reason to buy it.

Before I left, I decided to try to the 99 Classic, but didn't expect much from a $300 headphone ... I was impressed! Initial impression matches what others have said: bass can be a bit strong and loose, but on many tracks it works quite well; mids are smooth and realistic; highs have nice detail without sibilance and fatigue; stage is decent sized for a closed-back; overall, the sound is fun and encourages listening for enjoyment rather than being analytical. I took a loaner home and will try them for a few days, comparing them against my other headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #3,851 of 7,703
I love my LCD-3, they are my current benchmark. Went to the local shop today to try some other headphones. Didn't love the Elear and Utopia; Utopia has a big stage and good detail, but is somewhat bright and loses composure with busy music; Elear isn't as good as Utopia. Didn't like the Nighthawk and Nightowl; they sound small and muddy, and lack detail. The new Klipsch model which runs about $1200 is pretty good, but I didn't see a reason to buy it.

Before I left, I decided to try to the 99 Classic, but didn't expect much from a $300 headphone ... I was impressed! Initial impression matches what others have said: bass can be a bit strong and loose, but on many tracks it works quite well; mids are smooth and realistic; highs have nice detail without sibilance and fatigue; stage is decent sized for a closed-back; overall, the sound is fun and encourages listening for enjoyment rather than being analytical. I took a loaner home and will try them for a few days, comparing them against my other headphones.

Some further impressions (based on my ears and preferences):

- Classic 99 is much better than the M50X. The M50X sounds comparatively scooped, and buzzy on the high end.

- Classic 99 is better than the R70X (which is open back, and about the same price). R70X was the best headphone I had heard under $750 until I heard the Classic 99. The Classic 99 has a bit less control of bass and slightly smaller stage, but more accurate mids and smoother highs. Detail of both is similar.

- Not surprisingly, the LCD-3 has significantly better sound quality than the Classic 99. While the signatures have similar warmth in terms of lack of timidity of bass and roll-off of highs, the LCD-3 has much better shape and control of bass, smoother overall, more detail, more realism, and bigger stage. But the comparison isn't fair at all, since the LCD-3 is more than 6X the price, open back, heavy, and requires much more power to drive (Classic 99 is among the most efficient headphones I've run across, but does sound better with a better DAC/amp - I've tried the iPhone, DF Red, Mojo, and Hugo 2).

If I needed a closed-back and my budget was say $500 or even maybe $750, I'd gladly buy the Classic 99 and consider it an excellent value. I'm actually looking for good closed-back, and my budget is more like $2K, but I may still buy the Classic 99 anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #3,852 of 7,703
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,854 of 7,703
Was in talks right now with my cable guy, David of Triton Audio. He said another customer tried the mod above and didn't have great results with the plastic not holding connection securely. Ditching that idea.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #3,855 of 7,703
I don't like the way the earpads put pressure on the ears. For longer duration of use, I actually find the LCD-3 more comfortable, despite the much greater weight, because the earpads go around the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back