Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 26, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,356 of 7,696
I am very sensitive to even small amounts of pressure on my head. That is why I prefer IEMs and over-the-ears. Being able to wear Meze for an hour without removing them - that is quite an achievement, believe me. I don't blame the pads - deeper or softer pads would change the sound signature and not for the best. A suggestion for Meze Team for a future product - comfort first, sound later. No point in having great sounding headphones if you can'enjoy them.
I would say they loosen on your head with a bit of wearing time.

May 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,357 of 7,696
Hey guys, I'm really loving my Meze 99.. It's a perfect all around cans for me!

However, I've been trying to find an open back cans that matched Meze sound signatures. So far I've tried Grado SR80e, Philips SHP9500, and Hifiman HE400s. Can anybody recommend other open back cans that is great for most genres of music (i'm listening to classical, jazz, metal). Desired qualities are present bass (no need to be too deep, and not boomy), clear mid, and sparkling treble. Preferably less than $500 :)

May 26, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #2,358 of 7,696

However, I've been trying to find an open back cans that matched Meze sound signatures. So far I've tried Grado SR80e, Philips SHP9500, and Hifiman HE400s. Can anybody recommend other open back cans that is great for most genres of music (i'm listening to classical, jazz, metal). Desired qualities are present bass (no need to be too deep, and not boomy), clear mid, and sparkling treble. Preferably less than $500 :)
If you can drive them I would say the HD650

May 26, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #2,359 of 7,696
@Darren Cotter and @chungjun, we understand your experiences and have been taking note of them. We have stated many times to the CQ team of our collaborators that they should pay more attention to details and they have improved. We have even visited them personally on several occasions to talk to them personally. Sometimes, though, there are such imperfections that we cannot control. We are, however, listening to all of your thoughts and suggestions and this is why, here is a little something to tease you and everybody here with.

So, the question is, what's in the box?

I'm betting on balanced cables!

May 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #2,360 of 7,696
@Darren Cotter and @chungjun, we understand your experiences and have been taking note of them. We have stated many times to the CQ team of our collaborators that they should pay more attention to details and they have improved. We have even visited them personally on several occasions to talk to them personally. Sometimes, though, there are such imperfections that we cannot control. We are, however, listening to all of your thoughts and suggestions and this is why, here is a little something to tease you and everybody here with.

So, the question is, what's in the box?

Spoiler.

MunichHighEnd_4.JPG

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #2,361 of 7,696

You should try AKG K701 or Q701. They are very well balanced, though might seem a bit too dry to some. If you are into sparkling tremble, look no further than Bayerdynamic 880 Pro (250 Ohms). All mentioned cans have proved their value over time, you simply cannot go wrong with any of them.

May 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,362 of 7,696
Looking forward to balanced cable for Meze99c

May 26, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #2,366 of 7,696
If you can drive them I would say the HD650

Thanks, I'm actually considering HD600

You should try AKG K701 or Q701. They are very well balanced, though might seem a bit too dry to some. If you are into sparkling tremble, look no further than Bayerdynamic 880 Pro (250 Ohms). All mentioned cans have proved their value over time, you simply cannot go wrong with any of them.

Thanks mate, i'll look into them!

May 26, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #2,367 of 7,696
DId any one try the velour pads on the 99c.. I live in a place where the humidity can go up to 95% and wearing a over the ear HP becomes rather suicidal.

May 26, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,368 of 7,696
DId any one try the velour pads on the 99c.. I live in a place where the humidity can go up to 95% and wearing a over the ear HP becomes rather suicidal.

Romania has been awful humidry wise as well those last few days, tons of rain and this gets things to the point where just by walking the clothes can get soaking wet on you... Using velour instead of leather will change the sound though. Are you eyeing HM5?

May 26, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #2,369 of 7,696
Romania has been awful humidry wise as well those last few days, tons of rain and this gets things to the point where just by walking the clothes can get soaking wet on you... Using velour instead of leather will change the sound though. Are you eyeing HM5?

I am aware of the sound change and therefore loathsome to the change. The problem is if i don't change the pads i just cant use them till fall. Dang! i am undecided as of now but yes the HM5 ones look like the most likely candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back