Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,101 of 7,696
  Finally dug out my Firestone Fubar IV DAC/Headphone amp.  Noticeably more controlled in the bass, with a more neutral and detailed presentation.  More spacious across the frequency range and especially as the treble seems to be more airy, with more shimmer to cymbals.  Seems less congested than the Macbook Pro headphone output as well.  I was listening to "A moon shaped pool" and Thom Yorke's voice seems more natural and less muddy-sounding than before with more layers to the sound and improved resolution and detail.  The interesting thing to note is that the 99C's sound great with any source, but seem to scale well.  I wonder how they would sound with something like a Chord Mojo - might have to take my 99C's into Richer Sounds and check it out.

Why just a Mojo? 

Try them with something epic, an iDSD BL or a FiiO X5-3 or a Hugo! 

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,103 of 7,696
Most people would rank the Mojo over the idsd and Fiio X5-3.

I don't 
wink.gif

I actually rank it lower than both. Around lower than FiiO X5-2 to be more precise. 

I like other Chord Products, like Hugo for example, but not like the Mojo unit I heard. I actually love Hugo to be  honest, it is an amazing device with an amazing sound. Mojo just didn't fit right with me 
frown.gif

Pairing between X5-3 and 99C is really amazing, and the mids and bass are so sweet and detailed. I'll test 99C with iDSD BL in depth in the following few days, but so far I think that the combo works very well! 

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,105 of 7,696

This is interesting. I also like TX-00, and I like 99 C a lot as well. Have you tried to EQ them? 99C are one of the very few headphones that present no distortion even with a lot of EQ (?) 

I was able to EQ 99C until they come to sound like ie800 which is my favorite in-ear. ie800 has a very unique signature and I am baffled by the results - although 

As for the noise when walking, I didn't really notice any noise, but it might be something relative and connected to the fit / head shape / etc 
redface.gif

No, I don't use EQ as it always robs some airiness from music. I tried the headphones with my QP1R that is a pretty neutral and powerful DAP.

I'm sorry, I haven't heard ie800, but reportedly they are on warm and bassy rather than flat and analytical side.

Speaking about noise on the go a colleague of mine with very different head shape also tried the 99 Classics and confirmed my impressions. I really don't think that my unit is defective, they should all be the same.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,107 of 7,696
Even metal requires burn in these days? Headphones getting more complicated by the minute.

I  believe there is only a mental burn - in where you get used to a different signature / configuration / materials / headphone feeling. 

Every single headphone and IEM I've tested so far has its own characteristics that EQ'ed or not will stay the same. 

For example, 99C has wooden cups that will sweeten out the mids and enhance the upper bass a bit regardless of the EQ applied. Think about the sound of room level cold guitars to understand what I mean.

In my view, the mood in the moment of trying something new can change the way it feels a ton, so I only have a stable impression about something after having heard it a few times, different days 
wink.gif

No, I don't use EQ as it always robs some airiness from music. I tried the headphones with my QP1R that is a pretty neutral and powerful DAP.

I'm sorry, I haven't heard ie800, but reportedly they are on warm and bassy rather than flat and analytical side.

Speaking about noise on the go a colleague of mine with very different head shape also tried the 99 Classics and confirmed my impressions. I really don't think that my unit is defective, they should all be the same.

Hm... ie800 are sweet in the mids, strong bass and sub bass, and sparkly treble. They have a lot of energy in the highs, a TON of detail and one of the best instrument separation possible. 

EQ'ing 99C to get a similar signature will give 99C an entirely different sound actually - 99C has really really vivid textures. 

Without any EQ, 99C are a great friendly, warm and smooth headphone. 

About the noise on the go, I don't know how to help... I'm a bit confused as I'm also using 99C a lot while on-the-go. A wild guess would be that I listen way loud when I'm outside to drown out any car noise and crowd noise so maybe this is why I don't hear cable noise or any other noise as much as people who listen at softer levels. I wouldn't listen to softer levels while outside as crowds and just distractions can break my enjoyment of music 
redface.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,109 of 7,696
  I received these headphones yesterday and I'm disappointed, especially because I bought them for portable use. Every step I make with them on my head resonates in my head like a very loud heartbeat. I know it's how they are designed and it cannot be cured. Besides I'm not convinced by the sound quality either. The recessed midband, rolled-off treble and uncontrolled bass is not what I'm looking in headphones. I was looking for sound signature wise something like more portable Fostex TH-X00, but unfortunately Mexe 99 Classics just don't come close to the Fostex woodies. The only thing what I like about them is comfort, but it's not enough to keep these. Fortunately I bought them from Amazon so I'm able to send them back without a fuss.

I found some of the same things. I found the mid-range more recessed then I would like and I didn't find them very portable. Partly because of the lack of folding and but mostly due to the noise you mention. and the chord being super microphonic.

I didn't think the bass was in any way uncontrolled or treble rolled-off though to be honest.

They are really good looking headphones though.

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,111 of 7,696
I found some of the same things. I found the mid-range more recessed then I would like and I didn't find them very portable. Partly because of the lack of folding and but mostly due to the noise you mention. and the chord being super microphonic.

I didn't think the bass was in any way uncontrolled or treble rolled-off though to be honest.

The Meze 99 are one of the best headphones money can buy. They are very transparent and sound believable. I have Revel f206 speakers, and this is one of the only headphones that sounds like a speaker and is as transparent as the Revels.

If you want a thicker mid-range, know that voices lose their detail. Do you think high-end speakers have a thick mid-range? Off course they don't. Listen to a good singer like Labi Siffre, and to be exact, to the vibrato. (Don't know how you call this in English, but I mean the vibrations in voices when singing long notes). On the Meze 99, you hear this clearly. When the sound is thicker, you lose this.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,112 of 7,696

Fortunately we have a lot of choices. The signature is not to your liking, it happens. Many Sennheiser have fantastic mids, maybe focus there.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #2,113 of 7,696
Fortunately we have a lot of choices. The signature is not to your liking, it happens. Many Sennheiser have fantastic mids, maybe focus there.

Don't get me wrong I think they are very good headphones and a lot of fun to listen to. The bass is excellent as is the treble IMO. I can see why a lot of people like them. Plus the cable issue is super easy to fix.

I am about to buy some Sennheiser HD600s. Still haven't figured out a set of closed cans though.

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,114 of 7,696

Don't get me wrong I think they are very good headphones and a lot of fun to listen to. The bass is excellent as is the treble IMO. I can see why a lot of people like them. Plus the cable issue is super easy to fix.

I am about to buy some Sennheiser HD600s. Still haven't figured out a set of closed cans though.

I haven't found a single closed back headphone to sound as good as 99C thus far! 

And I am constantly searching the closed back area!! This is where I actually am most interested because I prefer closed cans due to my situation and such! Not a single can sounded as good from everything I've heard! 

As for H600, they are great! I love HD600. I think that one should test HD600 and HD650, they are very different for me. 

Senn has indeed great mids!

The Meze 99 are one of the best headphones money can buy. They are very transparent and sound believable. I have Revel f206 speakers, and this is one of the only headphones that sounds like a speaker and is as transparent as the Revels.

If you want a thicker mid-range, know that voices lose their detail. Do you think high-end speakers have a thick mid-range? Off course they don't. Listen to a good singer like Labi Siffre, and to be exact, to the vibrato. (Don't know how you call this in English, but I mean the vibrations in voices when singing long notes). On the Meze 99, you hear this clearly. When the sound is thicker, you lose this.

Totally my feelings 
wink.gif

What you're hearing there is the crazy level of texture detail and depth 99C has 
biggrin.gif

You can EQ a headphone to get different signatures, but this level of texture and detail is hard to achieve. I don't think that there is a better way to name it - texture detail - mids detail - something like this. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,115 of 7,696

I haven't found a single closed back headphone to sound as good as 99C thus far! 

And I am constantly searching the closed back area!! This is where I actually am most interested because I prefer closed cans due to my situation and such! Not a single can sounded as good from everything I've heard! 

As for H600, they are great! I love HD600. I think that one should test HD600 and HD650, they are very different for me. 

I have tested for extended period the Oppo PM-3 (too cold), the B&O H6 V1 (incredible highs, decent bass, ok mids), Beyerdynamic T70P (really like these but a little bright at points), M50X, Shure SRH1540, the 99 Classics, Sennheiser Momentum 2, Sony MDR-7506 (comfort was a major issue), and the V-Moda (too much bass, too uncomfortable). Honestly so far for me, it has been the T70P is my favorite and then the H6 and 99C tied for second. I think the 99C is a better all rounder then the H6 but the H6 highs are pretty addicting and the H6 is way more portable. I haven't bought the T70P though because portability isn't great and it is a bit brighter then I would like.

I have tested the HD600 and HD650. Personally I prefer the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back