Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #2,116 of 7,704
"I haven't found a single closed back headphone to sound as good as 99C thus far! "

I'm close to agreeing with this, but my ATH-W1000Zs come close.  Problem with them (ATH) is that I cannot wear them for more than 2 hours or so before they become uncomfortable.  I can wear the 99's all freakin' day and nearly forget they are there (if it weren't for the schweet tunes entering my head).

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,117 of 7,704
  I have tested for extended period the Oppo PM-3 (too cold), the B&O H6 V1 (incredible highs, decent bass, ok mids), Beyerdynamic T70P (really like these but a little bright at points), M50X, Shure SRH1540, the 99 Classics, Sennheiser Momentum 2, Sony MDR-7506 (comfort was a major issue), and the V-Moda (too much bass, too uncomfortable). Honestly so far for me, it has been the T70P is my favorite and then the H6 and 99C tied for second. I think the 99C is a better all rounder then the H6 but the H6 highs are pretty addicting and the H6 is way more portable. I haven't bought the T70P though because portability isn't great and it is a bit brighter then I would like.

I have tested the HD600 and HD650. Personally I prefer the HD600.

Your experiences confirm with mine! 

Although I care very little about actual portability and more about sound as my needs don't revolve much around portability 
biggrin.gif

Curious to hear T70P now 
wink.gif

"I haven't found a single closed back headphone to sound as good as 99C thus far! "

I'm close to agreeing with this, but my ATH-W1000Zs come close.  Problem with them (ATH) is that I cannot wear them for more than 2 hours or so before they become uncomfortable.  I can wear the 99's all freakin' day and nearly forget they are there (if it weren't for the schweet tunes entering my head).

I've actually heard the ATH series 
biggrin.gif

Hm... The sound is actually pretty close, they have a different take. 

I thought their comfort was okay, but haven't worn them for long. 

While I most certainly liked the treble of ATH 1000 series, I was not a fan of their bass as much as I am of 99C (99C has such great bass texture), and general instrument texture both before and after EQ

So... I'm testing the new 99 Neo... Just one thing... I LOVE THAT NEW CABLE!!! 

I NEED ONE FOR 99 C !!!!

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,118 of 7,704

So... I'm testing the new 99 Neo... Just one thing... I LOVE THAT NEW CABLE!!! 

I NEED ONE FOR 99 C !!!!

What's new about the cable?  If this is the same as the conversation we had last week about the fabric being removed above the split, you can buy a new cable like this directly from Meze for $20.  I ordered one for my Maple cans.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,120 of 7,704
@MezeTeam
 How can I order one of these new cables? I tried it via your own website and could not find "Germany" as a destination and your local dealer merely sells your gear and no accessories. I really want that cable! :confused:

You know what happened the last time a German got his hands on an audio cable... he used it for Hitler's microphone, and threw the whole world into chaos!

Just kidding. :D

I'm sure Meze can get you sorted. Hope you enjoy the 99C as much as me.
:)

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,121 of 7,704
  What's new about the cable?  If this is the same as the conversation we had last week about the fabric being removed above the split, you can buy a new cable like this directly from Meze for $20.  I ordered one for my Maple cans.

Exactly! No sound changes.

Having the cable with rubber from the Y split and Up is good! 

I didn't expected to care about it, but it seems it improves my experience. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #2,122 of 7,704
  @MezeTeam How can I order one of these new cables? I tried it via your own website and could not find "Germany" as a destination and your local dealer merely sells your gear and no accessories. I really want that cable! 
confused.gif

They ship to the Pitcairn Islands but not to Germany?  LOL!!!!!!

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #2,123 of 7,704
Just a random note; I'm headed into my 6th hour of wearing these cans (as I make my way through the D's on my X5-III).  No fatigue at all, unless you consider 2+ hours of Deep Purple at high volume "fatigue".

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,124 of 7,704
  I have tested for extended period the Oppo PM-3 (too cold), the B&O H6 V1 (incredible highs, decent bass, ok mids), Beyerdynamic T70P (really like these but a little bright at points), M50X, Shure SRH1540, the 99 Classics, Sennheiser Momentum 2, Sony MDR-7506 (comfort was a major issue), and the V-Moda (too much bass, too uncomfortable). Honestly so far for me, it has been the T70P is my favorite and then the H6 and 99C tied for second. I think the 99C is a better all rounder then the H6 but the H6 highs are pretty addicting and the H6 is way more portable. I haven't bought the T70P though because portability isn't great and it is a bit brighter then I would like.

I have tested the HD600 and HD650. Personally I prefer the HD600.

So you appear to slightly prefer "brighter" headphones over "warmer" headphones.....I'm the opposite and much prefer "warmer" headphones. I had the Beyer DT 990 Pro's and while they were nice at first they very quickly wore out their welcome with their "sparkling" highs. I also prefer the more laidback HD650's over the HD600's. For me the 99 Classics are fantastic. They do have slightly higher highs than my NAD Visio HP50's but they never come across as "shrill" to me (the DT990's did). I like a nice relaxed high end with strong mids and punchy bass.....the NAD's have slightly better mids but the 99's win on the bass end (and the comfort end). The Meze's have supplanted the NAD's as my go-to closed headphones and the HD650's have become my go-to open headphones. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,126 of 7,704
  Interesting

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meze-99-neo-around-ear-sealed-headphones#K3uZey0ElVfGkgL2.97

Quite interesting. I wonder what happened there

I actually wanted to ask if Neo comes with different pads since I also felt a little difference in both pads and the way they seal, but I cannot say for certain. The pads on 99C have a fair amount of usage while on 99N are new. 99N is also still burning in and sound might still alter and this is why I won't make any comments.

I do feel that the bass is slightly enhanced on NEO, but I haven't heard a distortion to speak about so far. Need more testing before making a stable assessment. I didn't really lose seal in ~3 hours of wearing 99 Neo with their own pads. All in all, 99 Neo are just as great at comfort and seal so far 
beerchug.gif

99C still sounds great with the big pads they came with, and I am still testing 99 NEO before saying how it sounds 
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #2,127 of 7,704

Quite interesting. I wonder what happened there

I actually wanted to ask if Neo comes with different pads since I also felt a little difference in both pads and the way they seal, but I cannot say for certain. The pads on 99C have a fair amount of usage while on 99N are new. 99N is also still burning in and sound might still alter and this is why I won't make any comments.

I do feel that the bass is slightly enhanced on NEO, but I haven't heard a distortion to speak about so far. Need more testing before making a stable assessment. I didn't really lose seal in ~3 hours of wearing 99 Neo with their own pads. All in all, 99 Neo are just as great at comfort and seal so far 
beerchug.gif

99C still sounds great with the big pads they came with, and I am still testing 99 NEO before saying how it sounds 
wink.gif

skerry your initial comments below:

About 99Neo, I wasn't sure yet what to tell about them or if it is okay to break the surprise so early 
biggrin.gif

As I said back then, they have a sound that is really good. Shocking good even. After testing so many headphones, it's easy to spot something that sounds interesting. While 99C would be defined by huge potential, 99N would be even better in their stock form, affirming more of that potential (which probably exists within the driver).

This is a questionable note, but making the headphone cups out of plastic has a positive impact of the sound to my ears. While the sound loses the warmth provided by the wood, it gains even more definition to the textures by default, and even better details. 99N needs a different EQ curve and I wasn't able to do it on the spot as I generally take a few hours while EQ-ing equipment and do it with professional tools for this. The thing is, 99N sounded so good by default that they didn't even need me to do so much EQ. The typical resonance Frequency of wood is felt with 99C, but the plastic of 99N provides a shorter resonance span and less incidental waves. 

I've no idea how the cups look on the inside or anything, but the psychoacoustic differences between wood and plastic are well documented and plastic by itself can have a broad array acoustic properties depending on the density and proposed shape. 

All I can say is that 99N sounds even better than 99C to my ears, the sound being faster, solid, but not dry. They are precise but the sound is still fun. The ADSR and textures are even better nuanced and the soundstage felt a tiny bit airier on 99N given that plastic has another absorption level of frequencies, giving a few more reflected waves resulting in an even better soundstage. 99C sounds pretty natural in this aspect, but the new changes only makes things better!

All in all, the idea of 99N costing even less money is good news as well. It is understandable since wood is an expensive material to produce and process, but I think that with the new design, 99N looks really good as well since the black plastic and general design is very attractive, gives 99N a whole design of their own, which feels industrial , grungy, edgy but still classy enough to be used in a business environment. 

99C feels sweeter, smoother, more melodic, but the differences are not very big. I think that a buyer would be happy with either and the design differences and better price are important aspects to look into when making a choice between them.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,128 of 7,704
  skerry your initial comments below:

About 99Neo, I wasn't sure yet what to tell about them or if it is okay to break the surprise so early 
biggrin.gif

As I said back then, they have a sound that is really good. Shocking good even. After testing so many headphones, it's easy to spot something that sounds interesting. While 99C would be defined by huge potential, 99N would be even better in their stock form, affirming more of that potential (which probably exists within the driver).

This is a questionable note, but making the headphone cups out of plastic has a positive impact of the sound to my ears. While the sound loses the warmth provided by the wood, it gains even more definition to the textures by default, and even better details. 99N needs a different EQ curve and I wasn't able to do it on the spot as I generally take a few hours while EQ-ing equipment and do it with professional tools for this. The thing is, 99N sounded so good by default that they didn't even need me to do so much EQ. The typical resonance Frequency of wood is felt with 99C, but the plastic of 99N provides a shorter resonance span and less incidental waves. 

I've no idea how the cups look on the inside or anything, but the psychoacoustic differences between wood and plastic are well documented and plastic by itself can have a broad array acoustic properties depending on the density and proposed shape. 

All I can say is that 99N sounds even better than 99C to my ears, the sound being faster, solid, but not dry. They are precise but the sound is still fun. The ADSR and textures are even better nuanced and the soundstage felt a tiny bit airier on 99N given that plastic has another absorption level of frequencies, giving a few more reflected waves resulting in an even better soundstage. 99C sounds pretty natural in this aspect, but the new changes only makes things better!

All in all, the idea of 99N costing even less money is good news as well. It is understandable since wood is an expensive material to produce and process, but I think that with the new design, 99N looks really good as well since the black plastic and general design is very attractive, gives 99N a whole design of their own, which feels industrial , grungy, edgy but still classy enough to be used in a business environment. 

99C feels sweeter, smoother, more melodic, but the differences are not very big. I think that a buyer would be happy with either and the design differences and better price are important aspects to look into when making a choice between them.

Now that I have them in hand, there are some minor differences when compared to those early thoughts 
wink.gif

I still think they sound awesome, especially the guitars sound really good. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,130 of 7,704
Now, curious. Can I get a pair of the older smaller ear pads?

Not sure...But if you look at my profile when the 99 Classics came out I returned them. Two reasons, comfort and sound. I prefer this 2nd gen pad. I haven't heard the Neo 99 that Tyll was referencing. I do think the 99 Classics with the new pads are a better all around product. The 99 Classics have been making a big splash for a while but I prefer the new larger pad and didn't like the original. Without hearing or seeing the Neo I can't say. Could be two possibilities, one could be it is a different pad, I doubt it, and the second could be the resonance inside the plastic cup or the plastic and larger pad combo. Compared to the only other comments I have seen (DobGeorge) they are polar opposites. Tyll is so turned off now and DobGeorge had a stiffy. To me when someone was so enthused about a can it makes their VIP section and now it is trashed something has happened. I will try to reach out and see if I can obtain a review same so we can get another unbiased opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back