Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,087 of 7,696
The Meze with a very good OCC cable are close to excellent. Still have to much bass. They need a source or amp with less bass than average.

Otherwise, i am impressed with timbres and imaging. Definition is also very good. This headset sounds right. Better pads and less bass and they will be awesome. I don't want to use an equalizer. Maybe a tweak to the notch filter inside the shells could do it.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,088 of 7,696
The Meze with a very good OCC cable are close to excellent. Still have to much bass. They need a source or amp with less bass than average.

Otherwise, i am impressed with timbres and imaging. Definition is also very good. This headset sounds right. Better pads and less bass and they will be awesome. I don't want to use an equalizer. Maybe a tweak to the notch filter inside the shells could do it.

Just open them up and stuff a bunch of cotton behind the drivers. Fill the cups up. That will lower the resonance, which is where a lot of that bass is coming from.

My Meze was modded when I bought it. I had to undo it all just so I could review the real 99C. There was a lot of stuff inside the cups, including foam padding stuck to the inside cups.

I really like the stock sound. Not too much bass at all.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,089 of 7,696
Just open them up and stuff a bunch of cotton behind the drivers. Fill the cups up. That will lower the resonance, which is where a lot of that bass is coming from.

My Meze was modded when I bought it. I had to undo it all just so I could review the real 99C. There was a lot of stuff inside the cups, including foam padding stuck to the inside cups.

I really like the stock sound. Not too much bass at all.

There is a piece of foam behind the drivers, stock. Did you remove it as well? It would be worth trying in my case.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,090 of 7,696
There is a piece of foam behind the drivers, stock. Did you remove it as well? It would be worth trying in my case.

No, I didn't remove that piece. But there was lots of other stuff in there.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,091 of 7,696
I received these headphones yesterday and I'm disappointed, especially because I bought them for portable use. Every step I make with them on my head resonates in my head like a very loud heartbeat. I know it's how they are designed and it cannot be cured. Besides I'm not convinced by the sound quality either. The recessed midband, rolled-off treble and uncontrolled bass is not what I'm looking in headphones. I was looking for sound signature wise something like more portable Fostex TH-X00, but unfortunately Mexe 99 Classics just don't come close to the Fostex woodies. The only thing what I like about them is comfort, but it's not enough to keep these. Fortunately I bought them from Amazon so I'm able to send them back without a fuss.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2,092 of 7,696
I would have advised some burn in however it seems you have already returned it.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,094 of 7,696

I would have advised some burn in however it seems you have already returned it.

I have tried to burn in many headphones and always failed to notice any changes.

I am not surprised but i have the exact opposite experience :) (not all but some definitely)  It's always YMMV

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,095 of 7,696
I am not surprised but i have the exact opposite experience :) (not all but some definitely)  It's always YMMV

I assume that you had one new and one used pair in direct comparison to come to that conclusion.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,097 of 7,696
Finally dug out my Firestone Fubar IV DAC/Headphone amp.  Noticeably more controlled in the bass, with a more neutral and detailed presentation.  More spacious across the frequency range and especially as the treble seems to be more airy, with more shimmer to cymbals.  Seems less congested than the Macbook Pro headphone output as well.  I was listening to "A moon shaped pool" and Thom Yorke's voice seems more natural and less muddy-sounding than before with more layers to the sound and improved resolution and detail.  The interesting thing to note is that the 99C's sound great with any source, but seem to scale well.  I wonder how they would sound with something like a Chord Mojo - might have to take my 99C's into Richer Sounds and check it out.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,098 of 7,696
From my experience, the 99 Classics seem to sound the same to me from day one when I put the old pads back on them the other day. Just realized I had these things for almost a year. Time flies when you can't make up your mind on what headphone sounds better! :D

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,099 of 7,696

I agree. Even out of the box they sound good, but after EQ, 99C really comes close to many flagships. 

I have tried to burn in many headphones and always failed to notice any changes.

Hm... I probably didn't notice any changes with burn-in for most headphones either, but I believe there is a mental burn-in process that happens that will eventually influence our perception over sound. 

I received these headphones yesterday and I'm disappointed, especially because I bought them for portable use. Every step I make with them on my head resonates in my head like a very loud heartbeat. I know it's how they are designed and it cannot be cured. Besides I'm not convinced by the sound quality either. The recessed midband, rolled-off treble and uncontrolled bass is not what I'm looking in headphones. I was looking for sound signature wise something like more portable Fostex TH-X00, but unfortunately Mexe 99 Classics just don't come close to the Fostex woodies. The only thing what I like about them is comfort, but it's not enough to keep these. Fortunately I bought them from Amazon so I'm able to send them back without a fuss.

This is interesting. I also like TX-00, and I like 99 C a lot as well. Have you tried to EQ them? 99C are one of the very few headphones that present no distortion even with a lot of EQ (?) 

I was able to EQ 99C until they come to sound like ie800 which is my favorite in-ear. ie800 has a very unique signature and I am baffled by the results - although 

As for the noise when walking, I didn't really notice any noise, but it might be something relative and connected to the fit / head shape / etc 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back