Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,056 of 7,715
What amp would folk recommend with the 99 Classics? 

The 99C can be driven on nothing more than kitten farts and sound d@mn good. But a nice clean DAC & Amp will improve everything.

You can go for something as simple as the Dragonfly Black or Red, or if you want a bit higher quality, the Geek Out Plus.

This is good advice! You don't want anything too warm or too bright for these. I think the DFR is a great option. And a USB dac is going to provide all the power you need for these, especially the Red.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,057 of 7,715
  What amp would folk recommend with the 99 Classics? 

FiiO X5-2, FiiO X5-3, FiiO A5, iFi iDSD Micro, FiiO X7 in no particular order. I tested them with other gear as well, but those are the best matches in my book! All of those with a bit of EQ on the side 
wink.gif

Each of those will have their own sound, each of them is awesome in my experience 

Meze 99 C is awesome even from my smartphone or lappy or anything really. They are just awesome headphones! 

One thing is for sure, a good DAC // AMP will surely expose the textures / details much better. If you are going for the absolutely best experience possible. 

With a good source and EQ, 99C has crazy good ADSR and textures and I mean flagship level. I experimented a bit and they sound awesome from anything bu do scale well with soruce! 

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,058 of 7,715
I just grabbed an LG V10 off ebay yesterday for a friend. Paid A$308 delivered. It has an excellent quad DAC that makes this phone the absolute best device pound for pound. It drives the Classics and just about any other headphone with ease and the sound signature is top knotch. Did I say it also makes phone calls?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,059 of 7,715
I just grabbed an LG V10 off ebay yesterday for a friend. Paid A$308 delivered. It has an excellent quad DAC that makes this phone the absolute best device pound for pound. It drives the Classics and just about any other headphone with ease and the sound signature is top knotch. Did I say it also makes phone calls?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Glad you found yourself a source that makes you happy! 

I wasn't satisfied with any phone I tried, but then again, my problems were far worse than just sound quality (I experienced song pauses and random drops)

Hope it keeps you happy! 

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2,060 of 7,715
I run the LG V20 as my daily phone and DAP and sounds fantastic. For best sound though I use the Onkyo DP-X1 & Mojo stack. However, the phone is not that far off in SQ from the stack and is more than good enough for commuting and office duties.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #2,061 of 7,715
Yeah, the new "Hifi" phones can perform really well. I've got a LG G5 with the Hifiplus module and it's really good. As a matter of fact it's so good that I'm going to stop use it as a phone (due to poor batterylife) and use it as my streaming capable DAP instead. I've compared it to a number of low- to midtier DAP's and DAC's and it holds its own quite a bit up the ladder. Tbh I haven't heard anything sub $250 that really outperforms it. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #2,062 of 7,715
I had the opportunity to hear the Classic 99 with the original MF XCan. I used a simple HA Info dac/amp as DAC. The bass was a little loose but otherwise, the sound was awesome. They trounced my Sony mdr-7506.

With the new cable, it seems like a better control of the bass leads to a reduced perceived bass quantity. I am very pleased with how the Meze sound in my main setup lately (audio-gd dac and amp).

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #2,063 of 7,715
Slapped on a pair of sheepskin angled pads from Brainwavz. They fit pretty well, a hit too large but they stay in place no problem. Put these on now and you feel like the headphones disappeared! Feel like I could wear this thing for days. Love the sound but I have to say these turn the Classics into a basshead device. Might leave them on for a while, see how they break in. Surprised to find that the pads work better on the Classics then on my TH-X00s. I feel it makes those sibilant...

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #2,065 of 7,715
This thread has turned to focus on changing out pads. I do agree the original pads were not very good, but their recent large pads are real good. The sound is tuned to the stock pads so why on earth would anyone want to toy with the stock sound? To make it better? I guess I just don't get it.

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,066 of 7,715
What's wrong with pads play? These are making the headphones much more comfortable and some might like the changed sound signature, too. I haven't bought the pads for the Classics but then why not try them on? Agree, the latest pads are much better than the first batch but trust me, comfort wise they're nowhere near the Brainwavz pillows.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,068 of 7,715
  This thread has turned to focus on changing out pads. I do agree the original pads were not very good, but their recent large pads are real good. The sound is tuned to the stock pads so why on earth would anyone want to toy with the stock sound? To make it better? I guess I just don't get it.

For the same reason people tip-roll iems: First, comfort; secondly, sound. Although most aftermarket pads will make the headphones sound worse. Sometimes, however, aftermarket pads can improve the comfort and also the sound, although I admit this is the exception to the rule. 

Also, as someone who's been using Alpha Pads and ZMF Ori pads the last few months, most other pads pale in comparison regarding comfort. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #2,070 of 7,715
On a bus right now, Classics on with thick pads. Great isolation, bass galore, EDM heaven! LG V10 in high impedance mode pumping beats at 45/75 volume. Headphones so comfortable I can't tell they're on. Must do mod if you like delicious low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back