Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,771 of 7,715

I prefer 99C EQ'ed when compared to MDR1A, but both are good headphones. 

99C can get more comfortable if you stretch them a bit before usage - but for cup depth and size, there is not much you can do besides try other pads like HM5 sheepskin leather. 

The pads of 99C are small for my elephantine ears, but they are soft and it evens out as I can wear 99C comfortable for 2-3 hours in a row, even when playing dota2 + listening to music. 

EQ'ed 99C provide one of the best experiences with a full closed back headphone you can get. 

Thanks for the reply. They really are phenomenal. I don't have access to my HD650s right now, but my intuition is that I may prefer the bass of the 99cs.

Are these the HM5 ? Are you sure they'd fit? I'm a bit worried that they'd increase the already strong clamping force and worsen the unevenness of the clamp (stronger at the top of the pad than at the bottom). Thoughts?

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,773 of 7,715
I have only replaced the original Meze pads with the larger Meze ones. I have smallish ears so the newer pads are perfect

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,774 of 7,715
I have only replaced the original Meze pads with the larger Meze ones. I have smallish ears so the newer pads are perfect

Ditto. Received the larger pads today - super comfortable now

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,775 of 7,715

Thanks for the reply. They really are phenomenal. I don't have access to my HD650s right now, but my intuition is that I may prefer the bass of the 99cs.

Are these the HM5 ? Are you sure they'd fit? I'm a bit worried that they'd increase the already strong clamping force and worsen the unevenness of the clamp (stronger at the top of the pad than at the bottom). Thoughts?

I don't know how they would work as I was just planning to order HM5 pads myself. 

But those are the right ones 

I have the larger Meze pads and as stated, they do get quite comfortable after wearing them for a big. 

I'm working my way through writing a review for 99C soon, but I'm experimenting with EQ as 99C has way too much potential after some EQ. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,776 of 7,715
Thanks for the reply. You guys are making me rethink sending them back. What do you think of Dobrescu George's idea of replacing the pads with the HM5?

If you have the largest pads now and you are having problems, I'm not sure how much new pads will help. Especially with the headband pulling up like that. No headphone fits everyone, how long have you had them? The outer band is spring steel, so trying to bend it will do little/no good. The inner band, however, loosens with time.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,778 of 7,715
If you have the largest pads now and you are having problems, I'm not sure how much new pads will help. Especially with the headband pulling up like that. No headphone fits everyone, how long have you had them? The outer band is spring steel, so trying to bend it will do little/no good. The inner band, however, loosens with time.

How much did yours loosen? For how long have you had the 99c?

I've had them for five days. Maybe the size of the cups/pads isn't the problem. Maybe it's that they sit at a strange angle, with the bottom flared outward, so that there's more pressure at the top, and less at the bottom, than there should be. That would explain why I feel extra clamping at the top. It may also explain why the headband seems to retract: if the pads sit not quite flush, they may be more prone to slipping.  That's just a hypothesis though. No idea whether there's any truth to it.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,780 of 7,715
Okay, more listening went by now . 99 Classics are still crazy good - instrument separation, resolution and detail are some of the best I heard to date in a closed back headphone in any price range 
biggrin.gif

After hearing over 300 headphones from all price ranges, it's rare that something impresses me anymore.... really rare. 99 Classics managed to.

This combo is really sweet! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,783 of 7,715

any news on that balance cable going on sale?
I really want to try it with The Fiio X5 3

I already sent a private message to Meze Team and am waiting for the response!
Hopefully it comes sooner than later
smily_headphones1.gif

I gather the tentative release date is sometime in April. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,785 of 7,715
i am absolutely unsure about the price. Pinky has better knowledge to answer the same. As some people have observed the pairing from balanced out gives a extended lows and also introduces more hiss than the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back