Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #1,756 of 7,715
About my approach on EQ-ing Calssics 99. Seems that measurements indicate that I'm doing it right as well, but the results are amazing - no distortion and insane details / textures 

Image was attached by our friend, @nmatheis and the measurements were taken by Tyll at Inner Fidelity. I am known to like neutral signatures, but I never would had imagined that 99 Classics would compare to the mighty ie800. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way affiliated with Meze, just testing it at the moment. You probably know know I generally avoid cheaper equipment, but this time I am shocked by the textures and the transients. 

My opinion is still not 100% accurate as I need considerably more time, but those are the preliminary findings. 

Get yourself a 99 classics, you won't be disappointed with stock performance, but you will be shocked with it's EQed performance! 

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,757 of 7,715
Come to think of it, considering the timing of his measurements, my guess would be that Tyll measured the 99 Classics with the small earpads. I wonder how the larger earpads changed the FR. Hopefully Tyll will grab a pair of larger pads and remeasure the 99 Classics.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,758 of 7,715
  Come to think of it, considering the timing of his measurements, my guess would be that Tyll measured the 99 Classics with the small earpads. I wonder how the larger earpads changed the FR. Hopefully Tyll will grab a pair of larger pads and remeasure the 99 Classics.

That might be right! 

Assessed this information 
biggrin.gif

Day3 of intensive usage. 

Dota2 sounds really cool using Classics 99. I won a match using them 
eek.gif

Something cool: C99 doesn't  pick up any wind noise. Cool stuff. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,761 of 7,715

That might be right! 

Assessed this information 
biggrin.gif

Day3 of intensive usage. 

Dota2 sounds really cool using Classics 99. I won a match using them 
eek.gif

Something cool: C99 doesn't  pick up any wind noise. Cool stuff. 

Wind noise
confused_face.gif
you have n't been out in storm Doris in the UK today but I could still hear the music
k701smile.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #1,764 of 7,715
I've been using the maple silver version for a week now. I really like the sound but the comfort is killing me. The headband is fine, these are my 3rd headphones with the suspension system and the 99's one is the best for sure. The pads are too small for me. I can fit my ears inside but the depth is too small. I wrote an email to Meze, unfortunately the bigger pads are only available in black. I really love the aesthetic look of the maple/silver/cream look of these, changing the pads to black ones will make them look like white legs with black socks on. I've considered buying white pleather memoryfoam earpads from Brainwavz, but some people say that they are too big or change the sound signature too much. Can somebody recommend some light-color pads that are more deeper but don't change the sound signature significantly and would also fit into the sockets so I don't have to roll the edges over the wood part? If not - I have to get the black ones.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #1,765 of 7,715
I've been using the maple silver version for a week now. I really like the sound but the comfort is killing me. The headband is fine, these are my 3rd headphones with the suspension system and the 99's one is the best for sure. The pads are too small for me. I can fit my ears inside but the depth is too small. I wrote an email to Meze, unfortunately the bigger pads are only available in black. I really love the aesthetic look of the maple/silver/cream look of these, changing the pads to black ones will make them look like white legs with black socks on. I've considered buying white pleather memoryfoam earpads from Brainwavz, but some people say that they are too big or change the sound signature too much. Can somebody recommend some light-color pads that are more deeper but don't change the sound signature significantly and would also fit into the sockets so I don't have to roll the edges over the wood part? If not - I have to get the black ones.

Meze is currently working on bigger cream colored pads, so if you can wait, they will make some that are specifically for the 99 Classics.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,766 of 7,715
I just bought a pair of 99C, and I love the way they sound, but I think I'm going to send them back because of comfort issues. I have the Walnut+Silver model. It has the larger pags, but I still find them/the cups too small and too shallow. The headband is also a huge issue. It seems to retract slowly, so that the cups gradually slip upward and eventually press against my earlobes and the bottom/back of my ears -- distracting and uncomfortable. It's a shame. I *love* the way the 99C sound. They just aren't comfortable enough.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the Sony MDR1A. Does anyone here have experience with both? If so, how do they stack up against one another?

Edit: added a few words and reorganized my thoughts a little bit.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,767 of 7,715
Hey @Bansaku, did you ever post a straight-up comparison of the PSB M4U 1s and the 99 Classics? I mean, beyond your recounting of the holiday showdown you posted last month. :wink:

I have owned the PSB's for about a year. But I recently sent them in under warranty. One of the hinges broke, and while I love the sound and comfort, I'm leery of the build quality. The Beats aesthetic of the PSB's has never been my thing, either. 

And, while waiting for the replacements to arrive, I started lusting after the 99 Classics.  

I get the impression, from your notes and others' reviews, that the 99 Classics are a bit more fun, with more forward mids and livelier bass, while the PSB's are immaculately neutral. Sound about right? And the build quality of the 99 Classics is impeccable, it seems. But I haven't seen any head-to-head comparisons besides yours, so I'd value your opinion. :)

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,768 of 7,715
  I just bought a pair of 99C, and I love the way they sound, but I think I'm going to send them back because of comfort issues. I have the Walnut+Silver model, and I find the cups too small and too shallow, and the headband just doesn't work for me at all: the earcups gradually seem to slip upward slowly and eventually press against my earlobes and the bottom/back of my ears, which is distracting and eventually uncomfortable.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the Sony MDR1A. Does anyone here have experience with both? If so, how do they stack up against one another?

I prefer 99C EQ'ed when compared to MDR1A, but both are good headphones. 

99C can get more comfortable if you stretch them a bit before usage - but for cup depth and size, there is not much you can do besides try other pads like HM5 sheepskin leather. 

The pads of 99C are small for my elephantine ears, but they are soft and it evens out as I can wear 99C comfortable for 2-3 hours in a row, even when playing dota2 + listening to music. 

EQ'ed 99C provide one of the best experiences with a full closed back headphone you will get at this price point, at least from what I've tested thus far. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,769 of 7,715

I would just get the black ones 
biggrin.gif

They feel awesome and black + white might look like a nice contrast in person! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back