Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,516 of 7,691
Jan 19, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,517 of 7,691
I am not sure comparing the Meze to the HD650 is easy. In their respective categories they are both very good at what they are designed for. The Meze is a great portable option while the HD650 is a great in home headphone. One is an open design and the other closed. The Meze is easier to drive. The fortunate thing about both of these headphones is there are a lot of reviews out there for both. I own both because they both serve very different purposes for me. I also own TOTL iem's which are an entirely different ballgame. If you are looking for an engaging musical portable I would recommend the Meze. If you are looking for a great in home listening option I would recommend the HD650. If you could only have one it would be the Meze, only because you could use it out and about or in home, more versatile. The Meze is one of the best all around portable I have owned. I also have the Momentum 2.0 BT version, but if I am going portable corded I would grab the Meze or one of my iem's. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #1,520 of 7,691
Detailed comparisons are reserved for my Head Gear reviews.
wink.gif

However...

Let me state upfront that closed-back headphones don't really compare to open-back. Open-backs have a way of always sounding better, more natural and spacious. The HD650 (or my HD6XX) is superb even among its design brethren.

Of course, there are situations where closed-back are needed. Many, many situations where the isolation is a necessity.

The Meze is not the HD650. Not only is it closed-back, and therefore doesn't belong in a comparison, but it's also a super high efficient "mobile headphone". These types of headphones tend to lack some of that weight you find with a beefier set of cans that hunger for a desktop amp just to sound right.

That said, the Meze has more note weight than I expected, coming from the Momentum 2.0. It has just a tiny bit more treble than the HD650, making the vocals sound less lush, but utterly clear. Not the aggressive detail clear that bright headphones create. Rather the smooth, rich clear that comes from a marvelous balance of tremendous bass, quantity and quality, and clean, revealing highs. The vocals just sit there benefiting from the wealth on both ends, giving them something special that's hard to describe.

It's easier to describe the HD650's vocals. They are lush. That's the word everyone uses, and it suits them. The 99 Classics are more nebulous, but just as remarkable.

Thank you for the comparison. I am thinking of considering them again. I like how the bass on the 650s sounds. Some people have called the 99s bass heavy. I do enjoy bass, but I hate when there is too much of it. Can you compare the quantity?

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,521 of 7,691
Thank you for the comparison. I am thinking of considering them again. I like how the bass on the 650s sounds. Some people have called the 99s bass heavy. I do enjoy bass, but I hate when there is too much of it. Can you compare the quantity?

VS 650, meze certainly are bass heavy. The bass nature is bouncy and is centered around 70-80hz.
650 bass has better texture and is centered around 100-110hz but still has better extension.
If you listening is on a desktop setup I dont see a reason to get the meze

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #1,522 of 7,691
I want them! The largest ones. 64 x 50. Tell me what I need to do to make it happen.

Hi, I have ordered the biggest ones and they are 64 x 49 
I'm waiting to receive them to give my impressions.

regards

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #1,523 of 7,691
VS 650, meze certainly are bass heavy. The bass nature is bouncy and is centered around 70-80hz.
650 bass has better texture and is centered around 100-110hz but still has better extension.
If you listening is on a desktop setup I dont see a reason to get the meze

I use my HD 650s and DT 150s with my desktop set up. I want something that can be driven by my phone ( Honor 5x).  
Anyway, I wish I could demo them. I don't know when the next headphonezone meet going to happen here. Spending 25k(INR) on them is a lot when can you get the HD 650s for 27.5k. I am confused if I should pull the trigger. If I find them bass heavy for my taste, I would waste my money. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #1,525 of 7,691
@Music freak Hello, I use them a lot with my nexus 6 and it goes very well, not missing power.
it is true that have bass, but they are not invasive at all, other frequencies can hear clearly.

regards

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,526 of 7,691
  I use my HD 650s and DT 150s with my desktop set up. I want something that can be driven by my phone ( Honor 5x).  
Anyway, I wish I could demo them. I don't know when the next headphonezone meet going to happen here. Spending 25k(INR) on them is a lot when can you get the HD 650s for 27.5k. I am confused if I should pull the trigger. If I find them bass heavy for my taste, I would waste my money. 

They way the treble is displayed certainly makes the amount of bass enjoyable. These are not critical listening headphones. You cannot compare the pricing for the Meze and the HD650. The Meze a perfectly priced  and the HD650 are priced below their performance level. Two different headphones for two different purposes. I will say your intial impression may be that there is too much bass but they need time. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #1,527 of 7,691

Where are you from in India?
I think headphonezone has an office in mumbai and b'lore. You may request a demo.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #1,528 of 7,691

The Meze has more bass, but not by much. Some of that could just be the effects of closed-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back