Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,037 of 7,712
Agree, source does matter. They are bit more heavier down low with DP-X1 than with the Mojo. Love them both though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

All I use at the moment are the HTC 10, Apogee Duet, or NAD D3020 + UTurn Pluto preamp (for vinyl). On all three the bass is overwhelming the rest, and is not textured or controlled compared to the B&O H6 2nd gen (which has great bass to my tastes). Aside from the excessive and slightly loose bass and the highly microphonic band and cable, I really like them (comfortable; detailed but smooth and lush; intimate-ish soundstage but still with very good separation and imaging).

I am running FlyLo through them all night at a bit above normal listening levels. We will see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,042 of 7,712
Give them a bit of time to burn in. The bass will tighten, at least that is my experience.

Yeah, I am gonna get to 40hrs before I start making any final decisions. Are there any other closed cans in this bracket that I should be trying out? I like the H6 but it feels a little dry and treble-heavy compared to the 99. However, the bass is controlled much better while still being at a good level.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,047 of 7,712
I've got both and using them daily. The Oppo bass is cleaner and more controlled and with the rolled off highs you get that "boring" sound sensation if you're into V shaped cans. However, I am yet to find better sounding really really portable cans than PM-3. These don't pop, creak or rattle when I walk or jog. The 99s are also pretty portable and sounding great but they're not as good at playing technical metal and progressive metal as the PM-3. That tight planar bass man!

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,048 of 7,712
  I've got both and using them daily. The Oppo bass is cleaner and more controlled and with the rolled off highs you get that "boring" sound sensation if you're into V shaped cans. However, I am yet to find better sounding really really portable cans than PM-3. These don't pop, creak or rattle when I walk or jog. The 99s are also pretty portable and sounding great but they're not as good at playing technical metal and progressive metal as the PM-3. That tight planar bass man!

you said bass is better on oppo but what abt mids treble detail and soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back