Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #991 of 7,695
I didn't test for sound leakage.  I've only had them for a couple of weeks and just use them at home. My family doesn't complain when I have them on, so I guess they are okay with leakage.  I wouldn't see how using them on a flight would be a problem unless you listen to music at ear bleeding levels. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #995 of 7,695
  no actually i meant passive noise cancellation is good for flight?

While I haven't flown with the 99 Classics, I have been on a plane before and I ride the bus. A plane's engines are much louder than a bus's engine, and I have yet to find a pair of passive noise cancellation headphones (over ear and IEM) that diminishes the sound of public transit past 50% (I guesstimate). Of course playing music will help. From what I have read, even top performing headphones with noise cancellation will still allow the sound of a jet engine to creep through, because sound travels through our whole body and Lord knows there be lots of rumble on a jet!

beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #996 of 7,695
While I haven't flown with the 99 Classics, I have been on a plane before and I ride the bus. A plane's engines are much louder than a bus's engine, and I have yet to find a pair of passive noise cancellation headphones (over ear and IEM) that diminishes the sound of public transit past 50% (I guesstimate). Of course playing music will help. From what I have read, even top performing headphones with noise cancellation will still allow the sound of a jet engine to creep through, because sound travels through our whole body and Lord knows there be lots of rumble on a jet!

:beerchug:  
dude pls pm me

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #997 of 7,695
  no actually i meant passive noise cancellation is good for flight?

I have worn these on two long flights and was very happy with the level of isolation. Granted, there are more isolating headohones out there in the world, but for the level of comfort, sound and looks you get with these, the isolation is good enough.  You may come listen for yourself if you're anywhere near NYC.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #998 of 7,695
Does bigger pads improve soundstage?

Picked up a set of new pads from the Meze distributor at the Indugence HiFi show London on Friday. My early view is they are a more comfortable version of the original pads but do not alter to any great extent the original headphone listening experience. I have tried other aftermath pads but they alter the balance somewhat, So the new pads seem to be a good compromise re sound quality and comfort. SOUNDSTAGE with new pads seems as identical to old pads as I can recall.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #999 of 7,695
I mainly listen to the Meze through an iPhone. I just got the Dragonfly Black and, man, it makes the sound so much more powerful and dynamic. I was about to get a Fiio or other DAP to pair with the Meze but I don't see the need now. I have to be careful with the volume though - it has some serious kick.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,004 of 7,695
I read in a review that thry have muddy mids, harsh highs and narrow soundstage. Is this true?

Ya, I read that 1 (out of 100+ reviews and videos) that paint the 99 Classics as sub-par and underwhelming. All 52 reviews on this site can't be wrong, and the 99 Classics currently rank #9 for over-ears. That alone speaks for itself.

But I am with the others; Stop typing and go out and buy them! You won't be disappointed! But better hurry, like I said in the PM, Meze is thinking of raising the price (rightfully so) on the 99 Classics.

beerchug.gif

P.S. And now your biggest decision will be gold, silver, or maple! 
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,005 of 7,695
Geez, what is up with this dude?   I hate to discourage questions, but it's getting a little ridiculous.  It's the Meze 99 thread, so do you think you'll get an answer that affirms the opinion that there are "muddy mids, harsh highs, and narrow soundstage"?  

You should really look at the reviews online.    I would say that 90% of them are very positive.   A lot of the reviewers are extremely knowledgeable about headphones too.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back