Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #631 of 7,715

You could probably sell them locally for a large profit over MassDrop's price, especially in Toronto! 
wink.gif

That is true...and that's assuming I don't like them of course :wink:

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #632 of 7,715
Hey guys,

Maybe you saw the news, but we still want to share it with you.

Antonio Meze, Chief Designer and Owner of Meze Headphones, received the A'Design Golden Award for the design of the Meze 99 Classics.

Here's him accepting the award. Really proud of this feat. Link here

Also, you might want to check out our Instragram profile, we're building a picture for something that you guys might like.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #633 of 7,715
  Hey guys,

Maybe you saw the news, but we still want to share it with you.

Antonio Meze, Chief Designer and Owner of Meze Headphones, received the A'Design Golden Award for the design of the Meze 99 Classics.

Here's him accepting the award. Really proud of this feat. Link here

Also, you might want to check out our Instragram profile, we're building a picture for something that you guys might like.

I saw that on your IG account. Congrats guys.

....status update on the larger pads perchance? Thx.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #634 of 7,715

I saw that on your IG account. Congrats guys.

....status update on the larger pads perchance? Thx.

Thanks @Melrose

As for the pads, we cannot disclose any information as of now but we'll come with an official statement. Thanks for your patience.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 10, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #635 of 7,715

A well deserved award! Funky looking trophy as well!

beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #636 of 7,715
I've been enjoing these cans for a couple of days now and I have to say I've been enjoying them a lot more then the PM3's and that for a fraction of the cost. PM3's set me back 530 euro's (Dutch prices *sigh*) while the 99's only set met back 325 in total. Looks like I'm going to have to find the Oppo's a new home. Well done Meze!

What I find suprising is that, based on the comments in this thread, I was expecting the ear cups to be rather small yet when compared to the PM3's, they are a lot more comfortable and a better fit for my ears.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #637 of 7,715
I will probably be purchasing the Meze next week.  Interesting to hear your comparison to the PM-3, which had for a while and wasn't crazy about either, especially considering the price.  I actually didn't find the PM-3 all that comfortable.  I remember not liking the clamping pressure, and the headband. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #638 of 7,715
A 50 word taster impression of my time with the Meze 99 Classics starting....now!!!
Thank you Meze and sorry-I dropped them
eek.gif
Bass-VERY important -let's talk-lots of it-is it fatiguing?So far,no!Have faith!Try your tracks,all ofthem,I liked Classical and bass shy numbers-why?-because the 99s breathed life into them. Style-your choice-conclusion-thumbs up!

More info here- http://www.head-fi.org/products/meze-99-classics/reviews/16206

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #640 of 7,715
I'm not reading this whole thread in case someone else's already done this but here goes.  The 99 Classics have very small jack holes on the cups.  If you replace the big metal liner piece that holds up the jack and lines the jack hole with something that's the same height as it (a nut or a washer for the screw to go through) you can remove it and have the jack sit at the same height.  You can put whatever in front of the jack, maybe a small washer, to make it look nicer. 

Of course Meze could fix all this by not making the hole 5.25mm.  

These are one of my favorite headphones period, they are a lone treasure floating in a sea of poopy headphones.  

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #641 of 7,715
am intrigued by this set of cans...i'm not as seasoned as many of you are on here.
my current cans are the senn hd650s, and sony mdr7520.
rock, blues, jazz and instrumental are my favs.

might check these out if they compliment my current setup.

my equipment:
laptop
dragonfly red
chord mojo on the way
iFi micro idsd/mercury/ipurifier 2
mad ear+ hd tube head amp

btw, where to buy online?
any discount for headfiers?
anyone selling a pair?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #642 of 7,715
Can I please get a confirmation on the number of wire in the stock cable connected to the 3.5mm connector?  I like to cut this out and solder an XLR to it for balance listening.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #643 of 7,715
Hi guys,

Today I received two amazing things from the postman.

I’ve submitted a lengthy unboxing post over on Double Helix Cables Thread about one of these things (DHC Molecule Elite 22 OCC Silver Litz 4-Wire balanced cable), so please read if you are interested.

The other thing I received is all due to the graciously kind and AMAZING person known as Lorand (Marketing & Media at Meze Headphones).
In very short summary, Meze Headphones contacted me via Twitter DM, and via email Lorand and I started talking.
I now have the Meze Headphones 99 Classics Walnut Silver, and…my goodness…I thought that V-Moda, KEF Audio M500, Oppo PM3 and Audeze Sine reset each time what to expect from headphones at certain price-points (or go beyond what we originally thought was possible).
No, Meze Headphones, aesthetically and sonically, go way, way beyond.

This post is not a review, but I’ll say this; to hear music THIS good out-of-the-box is something very special and should not be taken lightly. These headphones are serious contenders to the mid-fi throne at its price point and higher. I honestly believe that only the Audeze Sine can compete, and the 99 Classics are super light DYNAMIC HEADPHONES! That is crazy, but give me time to test out these cans before I make any more comments.
Btw, I am a social audiophile on FB, Twitter and here, so my impressions might be posted often but I will eventually write a review on Head-Fi.

Anyway, enough of that, let’s start, shall we?

Unboxing pics GO!

So you can see this, right, the attention to detail, right? RIGHT?!?!? Even my KEF Audio M500 looks less sophisticated against the 99 Classics, and that’s not an easy thing to do.
The right amount of retro combined with high-tech audio sensibilities.
A simple, to-the-point, tremendously built headphones. This is how it should be done.

Allow me to say that I still believe that the hinge systems on both the KEF Audio M500 and Audeze EL-8 series (2015 or 2016 models) are, in my opinion, the best ever seen, and that that the (2016 series) EL-8 are the best constructed headphones to me.
The Meze Headphones 99 Classics are the alternative to that, parallel to the EL-8. They are both kings and are examples on how to build headphones.
The 99 Classics is perhaps the more tasteful, and EL-8 Titanium the techy looking one, but I love, LOVE (<3), both.

Let’s have a look at some comparison shots between 99 Classics and EL-8 Ti, as well as a comparison pic of the cables between the standard proprietary single-ended (unbalanced) Meze 99 Classics cable and my new DHC Molecule Elite 22 Silver EL-8 cable:

Nice, eh? Both balance each other.

Finally, a comparison of three headphones with their respective cases:
  1. Meze Headphones 99 Classics Walnut Silver
  2. Audeze EL-8 Titanium
  3. KEF Audio M500

Please bear in mind, the 99 Classics and M500 came with hardcases included as part of the total price/package. For the EL-8 (and Sine) series of headphones, you must purchase the official hard case separately (a link to official storepage).
Anyway, PICS!

I am surprised at how big the Meze 99 Classics hardcase is. It is very beautiful, but I much prefer the big sunglasses KEF M500 hardcase out of all three. I also like the EL-8 case only because of its simple dimensions, but it is not as strong as the KEF M500 or Meze 99 Classics hardcases.
I am not a big fan of form fitting hardcases generally, but that (metallic?) Meze badge is enough to win me over aesthetically. Hey, it looks awesome, and pics don’t do justice, k?

Now, some downers:
A big negative on the Meze cable is that both the remote and remotless version are far too long. This is really tedious to me to manage.
The second thing is the very slim bore for the dual mono 3.5 mm earcup jacks. This prevents reasonable aftermarket cables, though I am talking to someone who may have a solution; not saying anymore at this point.
99 Classics is not foldable. Thankfully the light weight massively helps, but a foldable design, whether inwards for stowing away, or sideways for resting on upper chest, or both (this is where the KEF M500 wins EVERYTHING in terms of foldable headphones) would have been welcome.

Even so, this is a great introduction for a company that just started out (just like Master & Dynamic and RHA), and Meze Headphones are totally serious. They want to build the best headphones and IEM’s regardless of what’s already expected at certain price-points.

We really are living in the greatest golden era of headphone audio design and technology; the last ten years have completely spiralled into something amazing, and the journeys being made and talked about are addictive.

Thank you Meze Headphones (@MezeTeam) for supplying me with the Meze Headphones 99 Classics Walnut Silver headphones! <3

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #644 of 7,715
  We really are living in the greatest golden era of headphone audiodesign and technology; the last ten years have completely spiralled into something amazing, and the journeys being made and talked about are addictive.

I know eh? I came to the party a little late but glad I made it! Headphones have gone from 'meh' to making me forget about my expensive loudspeakers. 
tongue.gif

Anyway, nice first impressions! Can't wait for your full review!

beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #645 of 7,715
Call me interested in this pair. The online reviews are almost unanimous raving about them. However, if I would buy a pair it would definitely be the silver/black ones. The gold/black pair looks rather tacky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back