Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 30, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #602 of 7,696
  Hmmm my meze 99s have been stranded in Germany since saturday morning according to the tracking info, frown.

Once tracking said my pair arrived in Canada, I checked my mailbox multiple times a day.  
rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif

May 31, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #603 of 7,696
Hello,
Well my meze 99 arrived abou half an hour ago. Like the packaging/accessories, finally a package that is EASY to open everything tidy inside. I found the headphone to be surprisingly light and comfortable. Its more or less over the ear for me although my ears do touch the inside of the driver a BIT so perhaps a tiny bit deeper would have been nice. Still very comfortable so far.
Sound leakage is a bit more then i expected even at fairly low volumes. The meze is VERY efficient from my iphone. The headphone is not at all as large as I had imagined. I consider it portable although very fragile I think especially because of the headband.
I need to do a lot more listening and burn in but easily prefer it to my xs. I really like the sound signature.
When I will be doing train travel again in the near future even though it would easily fit in my handbag i think i will take the case because i would be afraid of deforming/damaging the headband and/or nicking the wooden cups. Because of these small things really looking forward to the 77 if it sounds as good or the plastic version of the 99. Still all is good with the nice case.
Thanks meze for great support and an outstanding product.
Greetings, Anouk,

May 31, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #604 of 7,696
Hi everyone,
I am wondering and this might be a weird question, but I have never used a case portable before and I am wondering if its better to use the meze WITH case then withoud. I mean, its folded up in the case sort of while in my large hand/shoulder bag it has enough room around it and on top of it. I guess the case would protect the wood though… There is no padding inside however…
Greetings, Anouk,

May 31, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #605 of 7,696
Did you get the walnut gold or silver?  I am interested in the silver.  Also, I've heard from some reviews that the bass is a little loose but not too bad in that regard.  I wouldn't mind a bit more bass than completely neutral, but obviously not to the point where it bleeds into other frequencies.

May 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #606 of 7,696
Really good build quality. Good looking. Straight forward highs and deep punch bass.

If you want a headphone for classical or peaceful instrumental music, Meze 99 Classics will not for it. (I think)
If you want a headphone for EDM or RocknRoll music, this thing will rock you hard. (I think again) 

May 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #609 of 7,696
I am somewhat skeptical of reviews given that reviewers are often given headphones for free and it's hard for them to be totally critical but the one linked above is extemely positive and has me excited to try these out. But the reviews that really count are the ones from the forum members and they have been just as positive.

May 31, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #611 of 7,696
I'll add my few cents. I recieved my silver ones about a month ago. I directly compared them to the b&w p7, and master&dynamic mh40. I have previously owned the pm-3, M2, t51i, and dt770 pro 80's. This is the only set out of all of these pairs that fires on all cylinders for me. You want good relatively tight and deep bass, check. You want high highs without even a hint of sibilance, check. You want sweet mids with great vocals, check. good size soundstage, check. Fun and exciting, check. I could keep going but I'm sure you get the point. Seriously these are it for closed portable/home cans. They also sound awesome for tv and movies. I seriously doubt these will be bested for many years.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #613 of 7,696
I am somewhat skeptical of reviews given that reviewers are often given headphones for free and it's hard for them to be totally critical but the one linked above is extemely positive and has me excited to try these out. But the reviews that really count are the ones from the forum members and they have been just as positive.

I have been using my 99 classic for about three months.  Bought them with my own hard earned money.  Please look at my review for more information.  I still think they are a great bargain .
Love the sound and design. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #614 of 7,696

I think that's a sensible approach. I am a reviewer and wouldn't want someone to buy a set of phones based solely on my opinion. We have the phones for a week which isn't a huge amount of time. But...... we don't have any affiliation with the companies, won't be stuck with them if they're not quite what we want and many of us listen to a huge number of phones which gives us some objectivity. There will be reviewers who have reviewed gear you have and like ; they will be a good indicator whether you may like something they have reviewed favourably.
The reason why there are few really bad reviews is complicated ; whilst its naive to think we're only sent decent gear we do try to give a balanced opinion which means that there is always something positive going in that will appeal to someone.
Healthy skepticism is good for us all , and it keeps us on our toes.
The Meze 99 Classics have a sound signature that sticks closely to the Harman Reference Curve and this gives them an exciting clear alive sound that thumps in the bass region but is not shrill in the highs.
Contrary to some I think they breathe new life into Classical Music albeit there is artificial sub and bass added to the mix. The 99 owners should be able to tell us whether over the course of months the bass and sparkle gets too much. I've really enjoyed it this week

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #615 of 7,696
The only headphone I've had with accentuated bass is the V-moda crossfade. It was fun when I first got them a couple years back but I can't stand it now and it sounds like mud. My tastes have definitely moved more toward neutral but not adverse to a deep low end. I would hope that the Meze bass is nothing like the V moda though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back